Paranoia: Trouble with patches / VUs

Trux

Old Alpha
Society
Chi-Unit
hi all,
this is a copy from our soc-forum:

hi all,

many of us go through a lot of trouble updating / patching EU since VU10.
MA/FPC clearly has to learn quite some stuff about version-managment and data-integrity - atm. their updates often result in faulty installations, often multiple trials of complete installs from different sources / versions are needed and it can take a day to patch EU..

i had alot of those problems, so i went full on paranoid and did the following for the last two updates:

---

close all applications (also from the system-tray, i.e. skype, etc, everything that is running and possibly interrupting the patch)

close skype (i know it's in the first point, but i think it's important)

run 'GameBooster' and start 'game mode' (this automatically terminates all background-services on windows, that are not needed for gaming. it resumes all those services on button 'normal mode' - check it out)
(ofc. you can do all of that manually too ^^ gamebooster does nothing more than automatically stopping the services that you choose on a single mousclick, and resuming them on another single mouseclick)

close virus-protection

update and patch EU

start virus-protection!!!!!

start services and skype

- enjoy -

---

so far, ever since i went paranoid, i didn't have any troubles patching..
don't ask me why ( me =! haxxor) , but the combination of all paranoid settings above seems to work..

trux

PS: Game Booster is a neat little tool that manages back-ground-services and autostarted applications with 1 click of a button. it's easy and transparent to use, and it helped me to increase my system's gaming-performance a little bit, but most of all feels more stable.
oh, and it is freeware ^^
you can get it here: http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

i hope that

1. this can help some of you having the same problems
  2. maybe hint someone with deeper knowledge to the original reasons for this problems. maybe we can completely figure it out together ^^

trux

Back