Planet calypso content release 2014.1

My take after using it last night:

Bad / Annoying things
Text colors , font sizes and background box color all needs to be adjustable, otherwise its a nasty user experience for a lot of players.(I still have a headache from last night) I showed the chatbox to my lad here who is 19 and asked him if he could read it , he said yes no problem but could understand how some people would find it difficult over an extended period of time. Remember the player base here is probably not of his average age group and us oldies need to have all this adjustable to make it enjoyable not a chore.

Learning curve for players is very steep , not every one wants to be bothered or are technicaly able to be messing about with settings for hours to get back something that resembles what we had before. (if we are all trying to get that back , which I have done with tabs then why bother coding all this in the first place MA ?)

System Tab. its flashing all the time making me click it to see if I have missed something. Do we really need all that crap flashing up in there ?

Rookie Channel. Utterly pointless , reminds me of WoW and its the first thing I turned off, the spam in there is ridiculous.

Private messaging. Last night I was getting PM's from people not realising I had them untill I scrolled back up the chat and clicked on their name to whisper (whisper ? come on !) them which was a pain in the ass cos the chat kept moving and I was PMing people that had not pm'd me as by the time I clicked I had clicked on a different name. . I then set up a private channel so they all came in there but then still had to click on their name to PM them back.

Global / Hof flashy red thing . not only is it unreadable in its current position it also is very annoying , it needs to be at best removable , at worst movable so I can dump it out of the way.

Message centre: why have I got all those tutorials in there and why cant I remove them ? Having to click that to read messages is so cumbersome. I really dont care for the hofs and globals being there either.

Loss of Professional level indicator ( the little green star ) this irks me.
Loss of the auction hammer this irks me too.

Loss of a default Trade channel , quite annoying , I mostly have this off anyway but when I wanted to see trade messages one click brought it back. ( Very annoying though for traders I would assume as Trade channel is much less in your face than before)

Force Chat is bugged sometimes you can type in there sometimes you have to repeat the message 4 times to get it to appear in the channel.

Having to press enter before typing. Really annoying , I lost count of the number of times I brought up loads of boxes on my screen when I forgot to press enter . ( TP to revive box , options box , action box etc)

Chat is now not logged into the chat files Im assuming this is a bug / something MA forgot about

the ME thing , whats that all about ROFL, mouse over your HP bar you will see ;)

Good things :
Offline messaging great for certain things.
Sticky notes (not used them yet but I assume they will be handy)
Custom channels . Good for us on the mothership and in ways good for others I would think so they can have their own permenant "team" channel without having to make a team.

To sum up , I think this is badly designed as most of us have just put the chat box back as it was before using tabs, if we are doing that , what does that tell you .
The workload has increased now 1 click has in many cases turned into 4 clicks.
Oh and its a real workload on my eyes too.
also as Dusk posted elsewhere the chatbox does not fit visually within the rest of the game UI.

I think what MA have tried to do here is introduce a chat system similar to WoW and other MMO's and in my opinion failed big time. Its a shame as I was really looking foward to this , (offline messageing mostly) but now its turned into a really mundane painful chore.

Lets hope MA is taking all this in and changes come really quickly.

Last edited:
I don;t like it, normally I would think maybe it will just take time to get used to it. But needing to hit backspace to get rid of my writing every time? And no real alert like a pop up for pm's that annoys the hell out of me

I don;t like it, normally I would think maybe it will just take time to get used to it. But needing to hit backspace to get rid of my writing every time? And no real alert like a pop up for pm's that annoys the hell out of me

Press esc then click options , HUD , untick "keep main chat focus when entering text"
You will have remember to press enter before you start typing though.

Why is was left like this god only knows , just shows how little usability testing is done before release eh

Back