Planets distance

SoftHart

Elite
Society
Skillin' Villains
Softhart
Why is it that all the planets are not an equal distance apart. I think its unfair to Planet Partners that their planet is further from the others.

And god why does it take soooooooooooo long to travel???? Do you think that promotes visiting other planets??

30 mins should be MAX no matter what vehicle your traveling in.

And god why does it take soooooooooooo long to travel???? Do you think that promotes visiting other planets??

That is the reason they made it take so long, obviously... so that owners of warp ships can make money

Why is it that all the planets are not an equal distance apart. I think its unfair to Planet Partners that their planet is further from the others..

I've been saying this for a long time...I agree 100%

Its space, its supposed to be freaking huge.

Either way, dont be surpised if its all re organised at some point and they add things like soloar system mechanics for each pp and so on.

They split the Planets so that the economies and native populations would grow independently, like Calypso did in the early days.

The whole warp drive system is a farce! There are bugger all warp drives, they are grossly expensive and restricted to 87 spacecraft of which less than 10 offer any passenger service. I would spend 99% of my trips between Ark and Caly in my QUAD still. They should have made a decent plan when releasing space;
1. Warp gates
2. All ships warp capable or partially capable
3. More space ships!!!

I am just hoping there will be another huge space update soon, because it is in desperate need of an upgrade!

Why is it that all the planets are not an equal distance apart. I think its unfair to Planet Partners that their planet is further from the others.

I'm with ya on this. Should be same distance at least.

-Bemo-

I'm with ya on this. Should be same distance at least.

while I agree that all planets, for the sake of fairness, should be the same distance from all other planets, this isn't possible within 3-d space. at some point, a new planet will not "fit" into the equidistant geometry.

I think, though, a larger issue is using a 2-d map to express the 3-d space implementation. it's really annoying and hard to figure out what exactly is happening.

I think, though, a larger issue is using a 2-d map to express the 3-d space implementation. it's really annoying and hard to figure out what exactly is happening.

Yep kinda messed up it is.

-Bemo-

while I agree that all planets, for the sake of fairness, should be the same distance from all other planets, this isn't possible within 3-d space. at some point, a new planet will not "fit" into the equidistant geometry.

Yes, I agree that at some point it will not be possible. But at this time it is and should be fixed.

Also would be nice to hear from a MA rep of why they placed the planets the way they did :)

Either way, dont be surpised if its all re organised at some point and they add things like soloar system mechanics for each pp and so on.

This is the way to go with space. Once they can develop such a thing Im sure they will.

Space will be updated in the future (from EF):
Bjorn|MindArk said:
We indeed have lots of exciting plans to further develop and expand the player experience in space, though I am not able to offer any specific details on upcoming features or ETA.

Hopefully I will be able to share some sneakpeeks in the near future though! ;)

Shipwise, shields for ships have been mentioned, and missiles and torpedoes... there has also been some concept art from planet partners for spaceships and they mentioned once that joystick control for space will come :)

I have a personal list of things I'd love to see in space :) like solar systems, vast asteroid fields (where piloting skills actually matter and a collision too much may mean death), gravity, etc

Last edited:

You can't have more than 3 equidistant planets on a plane, 4 planets max in 3d. So when there is a 5th planet (Calypso, Next Island, Rocktropia and Arkadia are 4), how will you arrange the planets to make the distances equal?

You can't have more than 3 equidistant planets on a plane, 4 planets max in 3d. So when there is a 5th planet (Calypso, Next Island, Rocktropia and Arkadia are 4), how will you arrange the planets to make the distances equal?

Wormholes? :silly2:

Space will be updated in the future:

Not sure what you wanted to link to, but presently it goes to a post in Aurli Assassin thread.

Unfortunately, they way things have been going with sneak peeks, they will probably:
  • not talk to us about what they are planning
  • make a "teaser" video that does not show anything :(
  • do something that it somewhat different to what they showed or anybody expected.

Wormholes? :silly2:

Not only is having wormholes not even close to having things be equidistant in N-dimensional space, it totally changes present space, and makes people who have spent anything on warp drives or mines or ship si upgrades mad for having just thrown peds away. Privateers would become even less useful.

Also, uniform, equidistant / wormholed space is much less interesting than a chaotic, clustered, 3d space, especially once we get to say 7-8 planets and maybe a couple of extra space stations / asteroids.

I like space as big as it is now, the real problem is that warp drives are still too much rare since of rare ingredients.

I doubt 87 ships are not enough, in the old system there was lines at Twins and FOMA and pilots had to wait to get passengers. Now passengers are just waiting that MA will drop enough Warp Device ingredients, demand is way highest than offer, that's sure.

mmKay, woudn't want to sound like a complete MA brown-nosed boot licking fanboi, so here's the great leveller: I HATE MA AND EVERYTHING BLAHAHAHHA :mad:

Ok, now the equality issue is sorted...

I really like the space implementation, I've done a trip between Arkadia and Calypso, not in a straight line, in a Sleipnir Mk1. Whilst I'm not so sure a vehicle that lets in water should be approved for space, it's great fun and a level of realism I wasn't expecting. Their is a really, really easy way to solve the issues with solar/galaxy/universe geometry - don't have any traversable environment, and rely on a grubby black screen with a count-down timer. Another way is to have an A to B sequence where the destination is pre-set and you navigate through what amounts to little more than a tunnel without walls. An even easier solution is to combine the limited 3D environment idea into a 2D sideways scrolling shooter, it'd be 'Entropia Universe - Space Arcade'

Your lucky it's not me at the helm, because I'd have made space awfully big. If you consider how many times you can get across Eudoria from west to east coast then consider the actual size of calypso, the distance between the planets, we begin to see that a 30minute trip would mean an impossible solar system that should have collapsed before it was established.

The current system is a good nod to realism whilst remaining practically fun. Sure you can't travel between planets if you happen to have 5mins to login when you should be earning real money (for depositing :laugh:) but that kind of inconvenience means a realistic environment where factors are weighted and decisions made. If everything is quick and easy and perfectly equal in all regards we have a boring system that doesn't reward knowledge or creative thinking. Take for example terminals, one of each kind in every location, with few exceptions, that's lame. We trade, sometimes with good reason, convenience for interest, but Entropia and our experience within is poorer for it.

I am just hoping there will be another huge space update soon, because it is in desperate need of an upgrade!

MA just needs to increase the drop rate of generic fuses and fix the stuck travelers and TT bugs. When those are fixed, then we can see what needs to be done. There's no way to evaluate how well the current concept of space works until there are enough warp drives to go around.

Also would be nice to hear from a MA rep of why they placed the planets the way they did :)

yeah, it would be nice to know why, but I somehow think I wouldn't like the answer.

after discussing it a length, over lunch two days before release, we thought that it would make it more interesting to the community to use a 2-d map to navigate 3-d space as it would promote the use of more real life skills such as guess work, patience, and tolerance. planet placement was so done because was the only way we could devise which would force players to pass through an area where we could place funny looking space monsters to harrass them.

I liked space before the update, and absolutely hate it now. However My wife and I still travel through space 2-3 times a week in our VTOL's, often taking a cheap passenger to offset the cost. (can take a day or 2 to find any passenger).

I have never once thought to myself, I wont go to planet X because its to far away...Either the planet has offered me a reason to visit it, or I don't go to it.

Being the farthest planet out gives next island its own character, granted I wont just bounce over every day to kill boar....but when wife was looking for a prime helm (does it still drop?) she made the trip 4 times.

The trip from caly-next island in a vtol is the longest trip in the game, but its not really that big a deal, once you get past the murderers that camp the launch point station, you can pretty much go afk and play ps3 or clean the house, I like to login to wow and fish during the flight...hell I went to the store once and made it back before reaching planet.

My point? if I have one...Is simply the extra time or oil makes very little to no concern as to which planet to visit, its way more about the content. I go to Rocktopia to swunt, calypso for stamina missions and auction, Next Island for color tool and transformer helm hunting, arkadia once in a while to pick up some TT weapons for self use.

I am way more concerned with the forced PVP system, than I am whether or not some planet partners planet is a bit farther than the others...If its a good planet people will go to it, if its not people wont....however forced space pvp causes me to think 'I want to uninstall and quit playing" every time I die to some person....and I fear some day it will cause me to leave, but I hang on in faith its a growing system that was just born...growing pains are ok, as long as improvement comes.

wow ok...wrote a book, let my joint burn out..so I'm out

Being the farthest planet out gives next island its own character, granted I wont just bounce over every day to kill boar....but when wife was looking for a prime helm (does it still drop?) she made the trip 4 times.

The trip from caly-next island in a vtol is the longest trip in the game, but its not really that big a deal, once you get past the murderers that camp the launch point station, you can pretty much go afk and play ps3 or clean the house, I like to login to wow and fish during the flight...hell I went to the store once and made it back before reaching planet.

We each have our own opinions and I happen to disagree with you. It is a big deal, I don't have the time to sit there and wait for my VTOL to take an hour + to get to another planet. I come on to play the game, not sit there and wait. Yeah sure I could go do something else, and have. And have also came back with a message on my screen saying "you can't enter deep space" in that time I lost peds sitting there hovering and time waiting.

That is the reason they made it take so long, obviously... so that owners of warp ships can make money

And, exactly this is what killing the game. To many investors hungry for cash cows, and most cows are now dry.

Especially after the CLD, things seems to be really dried up!

Yeah sure I could go do something else, and have. And have also came back with a message on my screen saying "you can't enter deep space" in that time I lost peds sitting there hovering and time waiting.
Before you go for afk, watch your Z value..
After you set your target , make sure the rate of change in your Z is not too high to go beyond 4092 or something, YOu need to set this angle in relation to your distance from the target, and initial Z value!

Last edited:
Use the MS Normandy.

Problem fixed.:wise:

Yes i second that, normandy is great, have flow with them a few times...for 20ped your there in less than 5 min. if your impatient or have loot, they are the only way to travel, if i didn't already own a slep i would consider only traveling with them.

P.s> I think space in general is WAY WAY to time consuming...my point is, its only a slight difference between distances making almost zero difference once I have made the choice of flying in space....since its all to damn big, it really stops being a concern which planet is closest and becomes which planet is worth the crappy trip?

or use any mothership equiped with Warp drives :)

I provide 100% safe flights, now with Warp Drive if needed. Ticket price cheapest than others services. :yup:

quad is enough for me really...using the server boundaries helps too...apart from carrying lootable items i don't care much about pirates...just point and press r and read a book or read the forums :)) as for unequal distances, they don't really matter much except for the fact that caly-ark is a bit more crowded then the other routes and that's not because of closeness but because of content(good items there)

Back