Questions about mining techniques

Steveborg

Dominant
Society
The Forsaken
Jrandin JR Rheus
I got my first experience with mining last night. Got about 60% returns, not bad I guess for somebody who really had no idea what I was doing.

Do most experienced miners leave the claims unmined untill they have mapped the vein? I was afraid I would die and would be unableto get back to the claim (need to work on my survival skills). But miningthe claim made it hard to map the vein and I kept having to write downa bunch of coordinates.

How long can veins go? I found a Lyst vein running east/west and pulled 5 finds from it. One about every 100 meters. Then the vein driedup but I kept going east simply because I had no better ideas. Thenafter travelling 700 meters from my last find I hit one more Lyst deposit. I could not find another deposit in the area however. Is it possiblethe last deposit was from the original vein and I was just notskilled enough to locate the in between deposits? If so, that vein would have been at least 1200 meters long.

I've read that terrain plays no part in the chances of finding a deposit and find that hard to believe. I did most of my mining in mountainous regions, but would much rather mine on flat land if it has the same odds. I did hit a deposit that was underwater too (good thing you don't drown in this game).

I had more questions but my mind went blank. Any help in these areas would
be much appreciated.

60% is not bad for the first time ;)
You can sell most minerals for a good markup so your return will even be higher, check www.mytwopecs.com and the auction for information on prices.

I usually leave all my claims up untill i find nothing anymore for a couple bombs or if they are about to expire, but I know lot's of other miners that drill up their deposits immediately after the claimed.
I guess it's just a matter of personal preference :)

"Veins" can go on pretty long I've had over 40 claims up from time to time, but usually they are about 5-10 claims for me :D

Terrain plays no part indeed neither do mob spawns, you can find good areas on flat areas without any mobs, and you have good areas in the mountains with tons of mobs ;)
To get to know some good mining areas it's always good to check the globals on this and other forums to see if some displayed the location :D

Goodluck and have fun!

Thanks for both these comments. I'm a noob miner, and I don't think I really understand how veins work. It sounds my tactic of searching out 40-50 metres from the claim in each direction does not go far enough to locate a vein? So far I've only found one "claim chain" of three claims, all within about fifty metres of each other...

Ah well, as soon as I can raise the scratch for a new load of bombs I can get back out there and test some new theories :)

Feldspar said:
Thanks for both these comments. I'm a noob miner, and I don't think I really understand how veins work. It sounds my tactic of searching out 40-50 metres from the claim in each direction does not go far enough to locate a vein? So far I've only found one "claim chain" of three claims, all within about fifty metres of each other...

Ah well, as soon as I can raise the scratch for a new load of bombs I can get back out there and test some new theories :)
I usually rebomb my claims and then move out 70-100 meter to try again :)

Oh yeah, how long to wait before bombing the same area?

Steveborg said:
Oh yeah, how long to wait before bombing the same area?

Hmm it varies, some areas I mine every day and others I dont touch for a week or two.

To Feldspar I just say continue to mine the way u do if u get i to work for u, as u get more experienced u will experiment with other tacticts. I doesnt hurt to read the forum for differnet tactics neither

If you bomb a site, and get a claim, can someone else bomb the same site and get the minerals, Or is that"spawn" now yours? How does that work?

Kayliegh said:
If you bomb a site, and get a claim, can someone else bomb the same site and get the minerals, Or is that"spawn" now yours? How does that work?
As soon as you claimed the deposit it's yours, noone can detect and claim it anymore :)

Back