Stock Market

Devil Doll

Stalker
Banned
Society
The Jaded Crown
King Buzz Buzzo
Alright, alright. Now that the indexes are here (thanks to PERC) I want MA to put up the PE Stock Market (Exchange). Why do you think they do not do it?

I know it would be easy to make it work correctly and they could make a boatload of money off of it.

My though is they have run into what they beleive are legal issues.

Your thoughts?

*volunteers to consult with MA about how to properly set it up*

:D

DD
:evilking:

I really do not know, but I believe I've heard that Swedish laws are strict on gambling, and such a market in game could be perceived as gambling (which would be illegal).... I have NO IDEA though! So don't quote me.... any1 with info on this? :dunce:

I dont know about why it hasent been done yet.. i simply think it were somethign they thought would be cool to have ingame... but it werent one of the "important" things.. such as beeing able to actually move your avatar :p

Anyway... I am going to MA HQ on friday and I have with me some questions for Marco :p or prehaps Lars if he can answer...

Prehaps I can get Lars drunk and he will tell me how the future is for PE ... He promised me to take me sightseeing and to a bar :D

Starfinder said:
I dont know about why it hasent been done yet.. i simply think it were somethign they thought would be cool to have ingame... but it werent one of the "important" things.. such as beeing able to actually move your avatar :p

Anyway... I am going to MA HQ on friday and I have with me some questions for Marco :p or prehaps Lars if he can answer...

Prehaps I can get Lars drunk and he will tell me how the future is for PE ... He promised me to take me sightseeing and to a bar :D

Good to hear. Give them all of our best and we want a full report!!

DD

Starfinder said:

:clap: applause for Starfinder

i think starfinder should have to wear a wiretap.

under your shirt man. record everything.

turn it into .wavs when you get home, then we can hold marco to his promises. and/or sue MA in a court of law for breaking verbal contracts. *joke* ;)

but wear a wire! im sure we could set you up on a shoutcast server and bounced all over pe radio. ;)

LOL... or how about this... Get Marco or Lars on TeamSpeak from time to time.. and stream that... that should bring life to "PE radio" again :D

Heh.. do you think that Marco would stay long on a chat hosted by Speaker and Terra? ;)

Im sure he gets enough abuse from the missus at home..

should be fun to listen too though. purely for the comedy if nothing else. :dunce:

How about stocks for virtual companies inside PE? Omegaton, Chikara, etc.

Thats exactly what I am talking about Maniac. They have all of the data they need to calc a share price. They just need to put in the coding (or possibly get comfortable with the legal aspect of it). :eek:

DD

Sounds Cool DD :dunce:
I would luv having some Omegatron-stocks :D

And Starfinder, will you post a feedback-post here after your visit? :girl:

Guess Chikara stocks wouldn't be worth much... Refiners and scanners are sooooo useful :D

I agree though, that would be a good idea.

What about those Stock Exchange computers ? They are in the game since 4.0 and still useless, just like Voting Booths...

Ok DD- explain/expand your thoughts on this more.
If person A wishes to buy Omegeton stock from the stock booth, would that money go into some "stock exchange pool" only to be distributed amongst stock owners?
How are stocks calculated... perhaps based upon recent sales history of each of the "companies" via auction?

*Interested in hearing more thoughts on this :girl:

bump*
reply DD! :) pls

There was a stock exchange. You use to be able to buy shares in two companies. Sphere Ordnance and Friends of Mindark.

Sphere Ordnance was the sole supplier of Ammo in PE. And Friends of Mindark seemed to essentially be virtual shares in MA itself. They use to have their own website with business plans.

Unfortunately they decided to stop the Stock Exchange and a while ago they refunded share holders with double the share value. So all my share certificates were converted into Peds at double there value.

Part of the problem was that the interface for the Exchange was a bit rubbish. So its on the MA revamp list if I recall ;)

Aziphirael said:
There was a stock exchange. You use to be able to buy shares in two companies. Sphere Ordnance and Friends of Mindark.

Sphere Ordnance was the sole supplier of Ammo in PE. And Friends of Mindark seemed to essentially be virtual shares in MA itself. They use to have their own website with business plans.

Unfortunately they decided to stop the Stock Exchange and a while ago they refunded share holders with double the share value. So all my share certificates were converted into Peds at double there value.

Part of the problem was that the interface for the Exchange was a bit rubbish. So its on the MA revamp list if I recall ;)

Ah cool! I was around back when you could buy stocks but no1 I knew had them, so I never knew exactly what you were buying into ;)
Hmm- so wonder what the problem is exactly? If you could buy stocks from the ammo supplier did it take away from loot pool?.. where was that money coming from otherwise?

Without going into too much detail essentially it would work like this...

Lets take Omegaton Industries as an example.

STOCK PRICE
MA would calculate a share price based on several factors including volume of omegaton product sales, price of omegaton product sales (note: this would absolutely have to include TT sales), production numbers and stock sales/buys. So, now we have a stock price that changes every day the market is open and freezes where it is when it is closed.

BUYING
You would be allowed to buy or sell stocks based on the exchange rules. Commonly you would have to make a minimum order, say 100 shares, and would be charged a commision, say 10 PED an order or a percentage of the order. So say you order 100 shares and the current price is 10 PED per share with a commision of 10%. So 100x10=1000PED for the shares 1000x10%=100PED for the commision. Now you shelled out 1100 PED and own 100 shares. The 1100 PED would sit in the "stock market" or as we will call it "stock lootpool".

SELLING
So you have your 100 Omegaton Shares and you want to sell. If the price has gone down to 9 PED per share and you sold you would get 900 PED (minus another transaction fee of course). If it went up to 15 PED you would withdraw and make money.

HOW DOES MA NOT LOSE?
MA does not lose for several reasons (if implemented correctly). One, they keep and set the commisions. Pure profit for them. Two, if the prices are calculated correctly they are indicitive of the real "value" of a share. In other words, MA owns everything already. If the price of Omegaton goes up it is because of several factors (higher priced sales, more sales etc) that lead the price up and the cash is therfore already in the economy. If the price goes down obviously they win.

BENEFITS
A huge benefit would be the boost to Economy. For example, if I own Omegaton Shares I would be much more likely to push their product and recommend their product. I would be much less likely to TT their products because I want the price to go up. Research and Dev (read better loots). Thats right, if Omegaton is doing well enough they could pull out some of the excess from their stock earnings to put more Imp 2870s on the market.

CHALLENGES
The biggest challenge for MA to overcome is public perception and ignorance when it comes to this issue. If Joe Schmoe makes crappy investment discisions and loses all of his PED he will blame MA no doubt. I have no easy answer here for how MA can combat this. What may be an idea is a player run SEC (Securities and Exchange Commision). Their job would be to make and enforce regulations as an independant body to prevent fraud.

DD

wouldn't that be very easy to abuse though?
F.e me and a friend buy a thousand shares each in Omegaton industries, I put a 2201 up on auction for 10k peds buyout, he buys it and does the same. We do that a hundred times and the Omegaton share would skyrocket.
Why not make it work like a real life stock market instead?

mjukis said:
Why not make it work like a real life stock market instead?

Could you elaborate for me?

You are right about the abuse. MA would have to ensure they are calcing the price correctly and would also have to have some things in place to prevent fraud or abuse. Certain triggers could be placed to alert them to abuses and such...

DD

Another thought. If you did what you suggest with the 2201 Omagaton would flood the market with 2201s making the stock price adjust accordingly. Also, when you go to try and cash out your stock it could show how much of a market share (buying activity) you had in the last 30 days and prevent you from selling if you articifially created the market.

Just some thoughts..

DD

Svetlana said:
Ah cool! I was around back when you could buy stocks but no1 I knew had them, so I never knew exactly what you were buying into ;)
Hmm- so wonder what the problem is exactly? If you could buy stocks from the ammo supplier did it take away from loot pool?.. where was that money coming from otherwise?

Was never entirely sure how it was going to work. Especially as the business plan on the Sphere Ordnance site suggested that it sold ammo not only to people but also supplied the ammo to the gun turrets. The problem was it was one of those half completed ideas. You could buy the shares, but not a lot seem to happen :rolleyes:

I suspect that MA would make a lot of cash through the Initial Public Offering to the public. And then just let us trade the shares amongst ourselves whilst it pays out dividends from the virtual sale of ammo to keep the share price ticking over.

Yes, true. It would be nice to have in game again.
MA would have some dilemmas to get around (as Mjukis suggested with possible scamming). But I think there are ways around it...
I hope to see a stock market if it's solid and viable and serves a useful purpose :girl:

Devil Doll said:
Without going into too much detail essentially it would work like this...

Lets take Omegaton Industries as an example.

STOCK PRICE
MA would calculate a share price based on several factors including volume of omegaton product sales, price of omegaton product sales (note: this would absolutely have to include TT sales), production numbers and stock sales/buys. So, now we have a stock price that changes every day the market is open and freezes where it is when it is closed.

BUYING
You would be allowed to buy or sell stocks based on the exchange rules. Commonly you would have to make a minimum order, say 100 shares, and would be charged a commision, say 10 PED an order or a percentage of the order. So say you order 100 shares and the current price is 10 PED per share with a commision of 10%. So 100x10=1000PED for the shares 1000x10%=100PED for the commision. Now you shelled out 1100 PED and own 100 shares. The 1100 PED would sit in the "stock market" or as we will call it "stock lootpool".

SELLING
So you have your 100 Omegaton Shares and you want to sell. If the price has gone down to 9 PED per share and you sold you would get 900 PED (minus another transaction fee of course). If it went up to 15 PED you would withdraw and make money.

HOW DOES MA NOT LOSE?
MA does not lose for several reasons (if implemented correctly). One, they keep and set the commisions. Pure profit for them. Two, if the prices are calculated correctly they are indicitive of the real "value" of a share. In other words, MA owns everything already. If the price of Omegaton goes up it is because of several factors (higher priced sales, more sales etc) that lead the price up and the cash is therfore already in the economy. If the price goes down obviously they win.

BENEFITS
A huge benefit would be the boost to Economy. For example, if I own Omegaton Shares I would be much more likely to push their product and recommend their product. I would be much less likely to TT their products because I want the price to go up. Research and Dev (read better loots). Thats right, if Omegaton is doing well enough they could pull out some of the excess from their stock earnings to put more Imp 2870s on the market.

CHALLENGES
The biggest challenge for MA to overcome is public perception and ignorance when it comes to this issue. If Joe Schmoe makes crappy investment discisions and loses all of his PED he will blame MA no doubt. I have no easy answer here for how MA can combat this. What may be an idea is a player run SEC (Securities and Exchange Commision). Their job would be to make and enforce regulations as an independant body to prevent fraud.

DD

STOCK PRICE
The stock prize should be determined naturally, by the laws of supply and demand. Just like on the real stock markets.
If it would be determined mathematically by sales, price, etc it doesn't allow things like perception to influence the prices.
And the prices would be determined completely by MA's decisions.

BUYING
A percentage is the most logical commission.
So you would pay 1000 PED + 10% = 1100 PED. But these should not go to the 'stock lootpool', but they should go to the person you buy the stocks from.

SELLING
The same: you sell to a person, not to MA. The price is determined by what other people are prepared to offer.

HOW DOES MA NOT LOSE?
In this case, MA does not interfere, except for the comission. The profit they make is from the commisions, they shouldn't have anything to do with the rest. If people lose, that's because they bought to high or sold too low, and that works just like the regular market.

BENEFITS
The companies on the stockmarked should be real existing companies (in PE), like trading companies. This way money from investors, that would normally just ly around, will be put in the entropia economy and enlarge the economy.

CHALLENGES
Indeed MA has to make sure that they can't be blamed for any possible loss.
They should also have some way of checking up on the companies that have stocks on the marked, to make sure that they don't commit any 'fraud'.
and enforce regulations as an independant body to prevent fraud.

What I would do:

I wouldn't put in any of the ingame companies that now exist ingame. These companies would be way to dependant on MA's decision, and it would be almost impossible to anticipate any developments in this economy.
The companies on the stock markets should be player/society-owned.

For example: a society starts a trading company. They divide the company in 1000 shares. They keep 50%+1 stock, so they stay in charge. So they keep 501 shares. These shares are divided between the society members that own the compagnie. They sell the rest of the shares on the stock markets. This way, they'll be able to get starting money from the stock markets, on top of what they have on their own.
If the company is successfull, demand for their stock will rise, and the price will go up.
And if you own 30%, you also have 30% of the 'power' in the compagnie, so u can even influence any ecisions they make.

I think this system would give much more possibilities to the stock exchange, but it would imply that there would be ingame companies. So MA would have to develop an entire ingame bussiness system (or at least the 'bookkeeping' of the company).

Back