FYI: The Mystery of The Basic Wrench

-JJ-

Old
weeeeeeeLittle JJ killerOfWhatever
Hi guys n galls o/

I wanted to share 1 of my adventures with you, about a tool i came across that turned out to be mysterious with little
to nothing known about it, this is my story ...

one day, while exploring shops on Calypso JJ came across a interesting tool she hadn't seen before (Basic Wrench)
as you can see from the below screenshot we can see:
Terratech PH-3, Basic Wrench, Calypso Candy Cane, Reaper`s Scythe and Infernal Trident

this is to show that as we can clearly see that the Terratech PH-3 and the Wrench are clearly indicated as tools,
and the others are decorative because they have no uses per minute

for a few days i tried different things to try to figure out what the wrench tool was used on:
tried repairing vehicles with it = nothing happened
tried hitting people or mobs with it = nothing happened

even had the bright idea of trying to use it on burnt out destroyed vehicles that we sometimes
see scattered around the planet, thinking perhaps its a harvesting tool like the Teratech PH-3 tool
but instead of chopping down trees and obtaining wood i thought maybe we obtain things like nuts
n bolts or sheet metal etc but nothing happened

so i started asking around i asked players and those that could tell me anything seemed to think it was
only decorative and had no use, this i found hard to believe because as i showed earlier it quite clearly
appears to a tool and has a function. i just didnt know what ... yet

i even asked a mind ark official, they didnt seem to know anything about it either, so i contacted support,
(im not going to go into the details but needless to say they refused to even tell me anything about the
wrench at all or even confirm if it was a still working tool or decorative).

so after much digging, i was finally able to find out some information about the wrench , it turns out it
is a hangar part (1 of several), and as far as i know it used to be used to either activate or maintain a hangar
or perhaps both, back then the hangars had technical issues and they were later converted to estates and the
hangar system was replaced with motherships
(if this information is incorrect plz clarify and feel free to share what u know)

so assuming this information is correct then the wrench tool seems to be misleading to players and should really
have its uses function removed, and its description changed, to make it clear that it was a tool, but is no longer
and is now a decorative relic from the past. this is so that any future players like myself will not feel misled
comming to the same conclusion and assuming it is a still functioning tool

i have also shared this same information and recommendations with mindark, i would also be interested in
what the community has to say about this and what they can share with us

plz try to refrain from negativity, after all i am only trying to discuss a part of the games history that people
seem to know little to nothing about, so i dont understand why it seems that no1 or mindark seems to want to
talk about it, its understandable that things can go wrong or not work as intended, and some things get
past us, we are only human after all and there is not a single living human alive that could design the perfect
flawless system, its what we do afterwards and how we handle things that matter

and since that particular system seems to no longer exist and was replaced, then it makes no logical sense as
to why it cant or wont be discussed as there is no unfair advantage to be gained and no reason to suppress
information that in this case i feel should be public knowledge

only people with something to hide would refuse point blank to talk about some things and try to keep it hidden
these kind of people i tend not to trust or take seriously, altho however it is understandable why some things cant
or wont be discussed for obvious reasons, such as active in game mechanics/loot systems etc that could give a player
a unfair advantage over others, i believe this is not the case with the wrench as i believe it to be part of a system that no
longer exists so there is no advantage to be gained so there is also no reason whatsoever to not talk about it if there
is no wrong doing or anything to hide

to also make it clear this is in no way intended to be threatening or be offensive to mindark or anyone in general its just a
discussion and me sharing my findings with the community and mindark, im sure that in due time now that its come to
their attention that if any action needs to be taken to fix anything then, they will when they can

this was journey of mixed emotions for me, and educational as i discovered more and more about the wrench and its
mystery i hope u all enjoyed the read, i look forward to hearing the community`s thoughts and knowledge on this :)

kind regards

JJ

Would not surprise me if not a single person at MA even knows what it was used for.
Hangers, wow that brings back some memories , good old PE.
I'm sure some of the older players might know something still. I was never wealthy enouf to own a hanger but i do remember alot of parts were needed.

My understanding is it was used in the construction of hangars when they first came out and had to be built. It was a hangar part along with many other parts. After the hangars were built it no longer had any meaningful use.

Nice little history lesson. My favorite part of the game is learning stuff from before I started playing, so thank you =D

The Hangars as they were introduced lacked some Parts to be functional, like Todays Privateers and Motherships need Warp Drive to be able to Warp or Armament device for the guns to work. In case of Hangars you had to "install" those parts like Hydraulic Manifold with said wrench, after all Hangars were completed and functional this tool lost its purpose and is ever since just a decoration like Infernal Trident, that you can hold in your hands to look like a plumber. McCormick used to have his always in hand.

The Hangars as they were introduced lacked some Parts to be functional, like Todays Privateers and Motherships need Warp Drive to be able to Warp or Armament device for the guns to work. In case of Hangars you had to "install" those parts like Hydraulic Manifold with said wrench, after all Hangars were completed and functional this tool lost its purpose and is ever since just a decoration like Infernal Trident, that you can hold in your hands to look like a plumber. McCormick used to have his always in hand.
What was the infernal trident used for?

Oh, my apologies. I read your post wrong. I thought you were saying the trident used to have a use like the wrench.

Are there other items who used to have a use but now don't?
Trident was a gift to Halloween

thanx guys :)

does seems a bit strange thats its a ul item that is only used to complete a hangar then no further use

what i would do since i have heard some requesting for umbranoids to be brought back into the game, is to perhaps have these wrenches put to other uses and be used like a tree cutter tool, but instead of harvesting wood it could harvest sheet metal / nuts and bolts like it kind of already says it does and like i mentioned earlier, and could be used to like salvage burnt out wreckage that the umbranoids caused or something, perhaps even in a pvp zone, some lootable some not, ofc higher value scrap would be in lootable id imagine lol

could be interesting to hunt and farm for useful loots / crafting materials for things ;]

interesting.
I dunno what it's used for... nor do I know what Eggs are used for

Thank you for digging out old memories :love:

McCormick with his blue shirt, shorts and his always visibly carried wrench was iconic.

Fun Fact:
Thanks to McCormick's skills back at those old times when winning the video contest, the Unique Dub&McCormick Terminator has so wonderfully low SIB requirements.

Hail McC!

Last edited:
Wow, this makes me feel old lol

I recall learning about those a long time ago. I joined after all hangers were already built. But as was already pointed out they were needed to compete hanger buildings - which ironically have no real value today either.

There's quite a few things in here that still exist and had use but no longer do beyond decorative purposes. Relics from the past.

Back