Thoughts on buying skills

Tilarium

Provider
What is everyones opinions on buying skills? I've thought about buying some to bump up my combat and mining skills.. with them in 2k+ range it's going to cost ALOT to do so though. Just thought I'd get opinions and facts and ideas that people have on it first.

What is everyones opinions on buying skills? I've thought about buying some to bump up my combat and mining skills.. with them in 2k+ range it's going to cost ALOT to do so though. Just thought I'd get opinions and facts and ideas that people have on it first.

if you are in a hurry to skill up chipping is fine, but use tools like skills scanner and the cipping optimizer (which can both be found on EF) they will help you get the most for your ped.

But unlesss you are in a particular hurry just keep hunting and choose your weapons wisely and you wil prgress pretty quickly.

I personly have only chipped a few of my unlocks like combat sense, treatment and avoidence.

skill scanner thread

chipping optimizer thread

It's not so much that I'm in a hurry... it's more the game has grown up to much while I was gone.

Before, using my old FF 4400 I could hunt drones up to gen 8 and warriors to 3 and even up to old level on the atrox. Now... I'm lucky if I can kill a young atrox or a drone gen 5 without being killed first. I just want to be back where I was.... :(

All my skills are chipped. AS soon as I get some more peds, I will eat some more chips. If you want fast skills and have the peds, jump in. ;)

I like natural skilling because I want to be proud of what I've done. :)

Why can't people who chip be proud of their achievments?

Why can't people who chip be proud of their achievments?

Not saying they can't, but for me I'd be more proud knowing I did it myself.

Not saying they can't, but for me I'd be more proud knowing I did it myself.

fair enough, but I have to say I wish someone had clued me on chipping new unlocks before I hit lvl 50, gives u quite a big boost for fairly minimal cost

fair enough, but I have to say I wish someone had clued me on chipping new unlocks before I hit lvl 50, gives u quite a big boost for fairly minimal cost

Yeah I can respect that :) I know that after a while it becomes almost impossible to skill up anymore

Did you loot the armor, guns, mining equipment, etc that you use? No difference in buying chips or buying equipment.

Well, you are not talking about some big mobs here. If I was in your shoes, I would go for some smaller game for a month or maybe two (depending on how active you are, can take less time). Like bigger bery or argo instead of troxes and bristlehogs instead of drones. Another way that I would choose if I definitely wanted to stay with the same mobs would be assessing your armour and fap (fap in the first place) to be able to cope with damage the mobs deal. Sure, it's not the cheapest in terms of initial expense and then decay, but the items will stay with you, skills will go up faster and relatively soon you will be more eco again.

But that's me. I went hunting baby araneas with skills close to 0 on my first day just to have some fun. Wasn't eco, but surely it was fun to take down baby aranea and hogs and trox old alpha on the first day :D Just for the sake of proving that I can do it.

Did you loot the armor, guns, mining equipment, etc that you use? No difference in buying chips or buying equipment.

Ok I can agree with that. Again, though, it's just personal preference. I don't have anything against chippers.

I would say the real eco-hunter must consider/calculate chipping cost vs. natural skilling, then deciding which is better in terms of economical efficiency. A financial analysis fits very well in this case or even some risk analysis for nerds hehe

I prefer to skill naturally......except for the defensive skills. They just seem to take forever to skill up. So I chipped in some and am very happy I did.

Ok, as a non-chipper who aims to keep it that way, I'll offer my perspective, but PLEASE all fans of chipping (of which the majority is formed) don't see this as me saying your way is wrong. Too many people are in favour of it for that:)

So, for me:

I think skills when gained naturally are a record of the actions of my avatar, and as such, to chip in extra would be polluting the methods I'm using.

I think all skills work together to define performance; general, attributes, combat, the lot; so to me the only way to create a balanced, properly functioning avatar would be to chip ALL skills (impossible as some can't be bought) to the levels they would naturally rise to through use (impossible without speculation or serious maths).

I tend to do the same things in-game; hunt a certain way etc. My skills are gained from these activities. To chip in is giving me skills perhaps in areas I don't need, or in ways that counter-act the effect of other skills.

I KNOW that chipping brings forward unlocks and aids performance. To me though, the game is a test of patience, and chipping is failing that test.

I might have to wait a long, long time for the skills I seek (250 health and 10/10 on a few UNL weapons) but I believe the avatar I will have by then will be a better-performing one than anything I could 'buy', as every skill will have gone up in relation to each other, from my actions, not from my innaccurate choices of what needs chipping.

An analogy to explain further:

Yes, IRL I would go to the furniture shop and just buy a chair, perhaps the best chair, a recliner with cup holders and softest leather that is the envy of my friends. I would have had to work hard, save up and choose it, so I would be proud of it, and I should be; it's a damn fine chair.
But in a virtual world with all the time I could ask for, I much prefer to go out in the woods, select a tree, cut my wood, shape it, fix it together and make a chair just for my arse to occupy in comfort. I'd sit better for it. My chair won't be worth as much as some people's, but as it's all my creation, it's priceless to me.

As in, RL makes you take shortcuts, but EU has more options... and if you spend your life taking shortcuts you deny yourself a lot of stuff along the way.

Hurrikane

despiite my opinion, keep in mind that the more skilled you are, the higher the price of chips will be to level up.
So if you wanna chip, do it when you unskilled, or you'll have to pay 500 peds for 50 skill popints. (for example)

Im torn about chipping.... IMO I think early chipping is great value as you can move up a lot of levels to using decent gear for very cheap.... as Im still early-med skilled... I dont know about higher chipping...

I know for crafting it was 100% needed for me... but to each their own.

despiite my opinion, keep in mind that the more skilled you are, the higher the price of chips will be to level up.
So if you wanna chip, do it when you unskilled, or you'll have to pay 500 peds for 50 skill popints. (for example)

That's a two-edged sword. On the one hand, chipping early is cheap for a large perceptible gain; on the other hand, you then see very little progress from normal activities, which is discouraging.

Chipping is a personal decision that depends on your reason(s) for playing the game and your goals. If you are heavily into the RPG/skilling aspect, chipping is going to feel like cheating to you. If you are more pragmatic and simply want to achieve some level of competency from the start, chipping can be the means to an end.

I have chipped some engineering because it was the means to an end, but i have left my other skills mostly as-is because they are a measure of my progress and a trophy of sorts. And i actually chipped out some skills i didn't need just for the experience. I kind of regret it now. :D

Back