THR.com Hollywood Reporter article

Site Admin
Admin
SEE, Mindark in virtual partnership
To create online worlds based on Hollywood licenses
By David Ward

Oct 6, 2008, 12:00 AM ET

SAN DIEGO -- SEE Virtual Worlds, a new division of Los Angeles-based SEE Touring Attractions, announced a partnership with Mindark, the Swedish developer behind the Entropia Universe virtual world, to create as many as 50 standalone virtual planets based on popular Hollywood licenses.

SEE Virtual Worlds CEO Martin Biallas said the first licensing deals should be announced in the coming months, adding they will be a mix of catalog and current movie properties.

"We're looking for licenses that fit this non-subscription, cash economy model," he said, adding these will be standard licensing deals for the studios with an opportunity for an ongoing revenue stream.

"We're also looking at creating virtual planets around the entertainment icons that are a crossover between public domain and licenses such as Monsters planet that could feature Dracula," Biallas explained as example, adding, "There's no investment from the studios. We come with the funding and Mindark has spent years building their engine so we can get these planets up and running in about nine months."

SEE has already set up meetings with the major studios and Biallas said interest is there as executives understand this could be a fairly low-risk way to determine the viability of older licenses and perhaps lay the groundwork for those properties to be re-launched as films or TV series.

"There's also a real revenue stream for virtual merchandising as well as the ability to have users order real-world licensed t-shirts and jackets, for instance, from within the virtual planet," Biallas said, adding a global audience for a popular license could bring millions of users to that virtual planet.

Parent company SEE Touring Attractions has already proven they know how to make film licenses work have created successful and innovative themed touring exhibitions, including "Star Trek: The Tour" and "Titanic" Official Movie Tour."

Read the original article here

These new planet partners are popping up all over the place.

They are a bit like buses - you wait all year for one and 4 or 5 turn up all at once! :D

*blink* *blink*
Dracula?
*blink* *blink*
*rubs eyes*

It didn't go away. Damn!
Shaka, when the walls fell.

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited and can't wait to see where this will lead but this...
"We come with the funding and Mindark has spent years building their engine so we can get these planets up and running in about nine months."
... made me :rofl: :laugh: :laugh:

There are no comments, even indirect ones, in the press release about "players" or "the player experience" so this doesn't sound particularly wonderful on the face of it.

where do we go??

just a question.... where do Mindark go?

will they sacrify EU for the new planets? :confused:

Lez.

PS: and yes :rofl: at the "nine months" haha too funny :D

Shouldn't this be merged with the other one :scratch2:

Somehow I got the intro of this song in my head ;):

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hkjkTe5kZE[/YOUTUBE]

Even if I don't like any one of those new planets, I think it will bring income to MA, wich can only be good for the development of Calypso.

Great article Mr 711

Hollywood Reporter, main stream enterainment publication simply marvelous
E.U. is on its way to become one of the most valuable global gaming marketing platforms know to man, imo:D

Vi'va Entropia Universe
Force Majeure

I'm soooo excited about all this can't wait. I almost feel like not playing and saving my peds for when all this comes in.

I think this is seriously cool.
Movie planets, it doesnt mater if I can hunt or whatever on them, but just the advertising for calypso that will come with it and the new players that this will attract.
This is getting realy interesting.

:wtg:

Not really seeing how this is going to provide any useful advertising for EU, even if this company does manage to create some 3D advertising using MindArk's system.

The relationship between the target markets for EU and Far Cry is much closer that those for EU and virtual tour of Dracula, The Movie.
What do you feel your propensity will be, after the release of Crytopia, to say "Wow! This Crytek stuff is really cool! I think I'll go start playing Crysis!"? I suspect that very few people will react that way.

Now, why would people who are taking a virtual tour of a movie be even remotely inclined to start playing Entropia based on the fact that MindArk supplied the 3D engine for the movie sim?

wow what a bunch of negative thoughts.

Does it work? Goto a Expo Show and talk to people and see how many go cool i'm gonna try that.

THE BIG PROBLEM MA IS COMPATIBILITY There has got to be a way for MA to see how many people sign up goto start up but have Intel graphics or a Mac and can't play.

The problem in my mind is most of the people we are currently focusing on ARE NOT GAMMER's so in turn DO NOT HAVE GAMMER PC's. Sure after they start playing and seeing how cool Entropia Universe is and will be they won't mind buying a new graphics card. but if they can't even see they are not going to drop 100$+ just to check it out.

But to debate myself. Maybe the Non Gammers will see it worth while to invest in a new PC if they can check out these hopefully low cost attractions. Just would be too funny to see Entropia Universe.

as for the possibilites of bring more people to Entropia Universe
Planet(s) Star Trek nuff said....

Back