Time to revisit UI/design decisions

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
EU and its UI has evolved over the years so that we are given more information about game mechanics, especially when the user community has figured out the particulars of that mechanism already. This makes sense, because what was once a mystery or a "community effort" game of sorts has been reduced to simply a menial exercise in tedium. The problem is that the changes are sometimes only enough to kill off the community effort, without giving us all the benefits they should.

Let's look at some examples and what i think should still be added.

1. Professions and skills
Before we had a professions panel, all that we could see were skills. The idea that these skills combined in different ways to make up professions was discussed and progress was being made on figuring out the contribution of skills, especially for the hunting professions by using the unlocks as a gauge. About that time a VU brought us the professions panel, and now there's no mystery about what level an avatar is. Using that extra precision, we have now assigned the contribution of skills to almost every profession. On the one hand, it's much easier to track progress and goals, but on the other hand, the number of tools for doing this has decreased afaik.

A parallel effort provided us with an approximate function to map skill level to tt. This function is still an approximation and the behavior at very high levels relatively unknown.

We fortunately have jdegre's wonderful skill scanner and calculator, but that's about it for full-service tools.

what's left undone...

IMO there are two things that MA should do to free EU from pointless limitations for skill calculators and avatar trackers.

• First, make the avatar's skills and professions downloadable using an API. The requirement that a new tool have a screen scraper functionality or require the user to manually enter skill values is a pointless barrier.
  • Second, release the exact function for skill level to tt. We have a couple of good approximations afaik (mine and jdegre's), so the "mystery" of the mechanism is gone. Just make it possible for whomever wants to to make an accurate new tool.

2. Auction history
pe-trade, my2pecs and similar sites were developed to track the expiring auctions and provide a record of sales. These were incredibly useful tools only hindered by the lack of data about buyout sales. Then MA added the auction tracking information in game, and we have again lost our 3rd party utilities. Now we have even less accurate approximations for current markup outside of the universe, and this makes tools that require accurate markup information (like weapon charts, etc.) somewhat pointless.

what's left undone

It's time to provide a feed of auction data, or at least a database dump. Not only will this allow 3rd-party utilities that need price information to be updated automatically and accurately, it will permit developers to present the data in much less atrocious ways than the in-game system does, and develop filters for removing manipulating sales, etc.

3. Decay stats

Once upon a time there was no information on the decay of an item. Then, the incredibly useful "Durability" rating :rolleyes: was introduced. About a decade later and everyone understands what decay is, and information on how to accurately measure decay is freely available. It was fine to just give a hint about decay when there was a relatively static number of tools and weapons in game, but the recent trend of a new tool and weapon a day makes the burden of maintaining information sites (like the wiki) too great. It doesn't serve any good purpose at this point to not list the exact decay on a tool.

what's left undone

Simply change the Durability rating to the actual decay, in millipecs.

A discussion of this particular history is actually what brought up the idea for this thread. Here's my reply from that thread.
Yes, i think it's time they just post the exact decay in item stats. We all know how to calculate it these days and the usefulness of the deliberate ambiguity is past, much like it was for professions about the time they started providing the profession levels panel. It's no longer a mystery to figure out, it's just a headache and a loophole for deliberate misinformation by market manipulators.

A more recent example is displaying decreased armor protection in a partially decayed state.

Then there are other areas where new systems come along and bring great new features, and sometimes older systems suffer breakdowns or (intentional or circumstantial) nerfs, making them ineffectual or weak in comparison...

4. Weapon scopes/sights

Ah, the attachments... few items within the game are so subtle and so ignored by MA. What exactly do they do and how much? Well, we have some ideas. But this is not about those ideas, although it might be good for more definitive words on the matter.

No, this is about making attachments cool again.

what's left undone

Well, we've lost our red dot, we now have a much cooler "team target" feature that requires NO attachments to use but gives the exact range, and we can't even get that with our high-tech scopes and sights! We may also have lost some of the benefit of the skill mod with the change to the HA (haven't been able to test this yet), making an already marginal bonus even more morginal.

So...
  • bring back the red dots.
  • bring us a range finder function in our scopes. We should be able to see the range to the mob we point our fancy attachments at.
  • And make the attachments more useful. We want more bang for our decay.

5. Antigrav / hightech boxes

"The what?" you ask. That's right, nobody remembers these things because they were nerfed and left to fade away. In fact, the increase in avatar carrying weight and the advent of vehicles make the current stats of the boxes almost useless. But, what's more sci-fi than an antigravity box? (Okay, well at least they didn't just call it a "bag of holding" :p). We need more cool sci-fi gadgets around!

I hunted troopers years ago in the hopes of looting one of the high tech boxes, but alas, i think they had already stopped dropping.

what's left undone

There's no reason the boxes can't be un-nerfed or at least new, similar gadgets introduced. Maybe a mark 4 version of the box. Maybe some higher tech boxes. :cool: Let's have more sci-fi swag on our sci-fi planet...

6. Regen and unused attributes

Okay, you all knew this one was coming: plugged here.

Continued in this post.

Last edited:
I second that emotion...

Doer is the non English equivalent of Stephen Hawking. That is all.

Last edited:
1 Professions and skills: add one line at the bottom , total skills=

Also perhaps Total - Combat skills, when you're at the combat tab. Total Construction skills - when you're at the construction tab and so on.

Well thought out and sensible suggestions. Would be nice to see these kind of improvements. +rep

7. Autoaim/right mouse behavior

Progress has been made at making EU less destructive to the hand, especially with the autofire, but with that progress have come some new annoyances.

One that's particularly annoying is the effect of using a right-click in aim mode now. Say for example we want to be able to right-click a mob in FPS aim mode to loot it, and have the UI set to "move to target" so that the avatar will automatically take a step or two closer if we try to loot and it's too far away. The problem is that it will force the avatar to rotate to face directly the centerpoint of the mob, and sometimes slow to snail's pace just before reaching the point of action. The same thing happens when using right click to tag a mob (which i sometimes do because i don't have range finder in my scope and don't always want to be checking the radar).

what's left undone...

Polish the effects of UI automation. Remove the forced rotation and/or pause when using right click on very close objects in particular (like looting nearby corpses). Also, the requirement that long reloads be finished before something can be looted is a pain with autofire implemented. Maybe reconsider that too.

8. Avatar already logged in

This has always been annoying and even more so because it usually happens right after a CTD or during server instability when players are already going to be annoyed. Fixing this is a huge step toward reducing player dissatisfaction, and to be frank there's no excuse for it.

what's left undone...

If a player tries to log in and the avatar is already logged in... SO THE $#%* WHAT?! If this is security decision then only allow preemption of a session by gold card holders, but there's no reason or excuse to tell a person with sufficient credentials, especially more than once, that they can't log in because they are already logged in.

...to be continued...

Subscribed, again thanks doer, I miss the 2006 - 2010 era of development seekers in the community.

Your probably one of only a few left from this period.

Doer your suggestions are right on the money. You should send a support case with link to this topic to MA/PC. So it can have a chance of getting on the right side of the "billboard".

Yeah, forgot to mention that. A simple update of the way skills are shown in-game would be good, too. But do note that this just compounds the problem i was describing: by half-assing various new features, MA has in many cases killed off 3rd-party alternatives without ever fully replacing the functionality. I'd rather they put in a few resources to open up the data of the universe with APIs than try to provide all the tools themselves. They'll never be able to give us the scale and quality of tools that fan developers can, and shouldn't waste resources trying. They miss out on free publicity and promotion by not encouraging this more.

I give as another exhibit to this same line of thought and concern this event. This is a similar type of marginalization of truly valuable and useful tools (Entropedia.info) taking place, but in this case it's by the developer of a commercial tool that has been able to provide a good enough feature that MA has come to depend on it. Note that this has only been possible because globals, unlike these other data i'm talking about, DON'T need an API to be easily available. It is disturbing that, as this tool is grown into other areas based on the success of its one trick, it is freely taking information from tools that don't have official recognition or easy automated access to in-game data, while not promoting those tools itself. Parasitism...

These are some really nice ideas here. Part of me likes using jdegre's Skill Scanner and Entropedia.info. Another part of me likes having to use a Shopkeeper for decay tests. It leaves little tasks for us to do :)

But Entropia really should have all these features.

Back