UE 5 Modular Weapons Discussion

moondog

Stalker
Society
Stockholm Syndrome
Charley Moondog 1969
Recently, I have been reading about the EU5 roll out and references to a modular weapon system. I understand the concept in principle but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about how this might work. Lets say the weapon is made up of 4 pieces, barrel, stock, grip and firing mechanism. Would each component have its own stats, ie efficiency. Would these stats combine to give an overall efficiency rating. If this was the case, would each piece be upgradable as you progress within the game.

If the above is true, how does this effect the existing weapons in game. Do you think these would also become modular as well or would the old weapons just become redundant ?

Loot 3.0, where modular weapon efficiency starts at 100. 1.0 will be redundant, 2.0 will take their place as cheap, sub-optimal weapons.

This is where my thinking was going, perhaps not to that extent, which leads us onto the massive deflation of the 2.0 weapons and the effect this will have on the player base, the resellers and the economy. MA must have a way to figure this out and balance the game as a result of any changes

I don't think it will be like that because they also said something like relative value of weapons will be preserved or something like that. I don't remember the exact words but my understanding was there wouldn't be a deflation of existing weapons.

Edit:
They said, "
  • Relative value of items from Entropia to be kept"

Here (under the heading The Future):
https://www.entropiauniverse.com/bu...10/what-is-entropia-universe-unreal/index.xml

So what they said is fairly ambiguous and could be taken to mean anything i.e. it doesn't negate the possibility of a devaluation of existing weapons. For example if all new UE5 weapons are more expensive (and better than existing weapons) and all existing weapons are devalued the the statement ,"Relative value of items from Entropia to be kept" will hold true.

Last edited:
Loot 3.0, where modular weapon efficiency starts at 100. 1.0 will be redundant, 2.0 will take their place as cheap, sub-optimal weapons.
This is what I was thinking as well. I think the change is going to be massive, they did say there will be new resources, new gear, which also means new BPs, items such as weapons and armors, we've already seen some of that in the demos. The old stuff will decline in desirability and value to make way for the new stuff. Aside from modular weapons, they announced new hunting mechanics, some of which we can see now with the spina mobs that have special resistances. This switch could be even bigger than going from 1.0 to 2.0.
I don't think it will be like that because they also said something like relative value of weapons will be preserved or something like that. I don't remember the exact words but my understanding was there wouldn't be a deflation of existing weapons.
Relative TT value :laugh:

Edit:
They said, "
  • Relative value of items from Entropia to be kept"

Here (under the heading The Future):
https://www.entropiauniverse.com/bu...10/what-is-entropia-universe-unreal/index.xml

So what they said is fairly ambiguous and could be taken to mean anything i.e. it doesn't negate the possibility of a devaluation of existing weapons. For example if all new UE5 weapons are more expensive (and better than existing weapons) and all existing weapons are devalued the the statement ,"Relative value of items from Entropia to be kept" will hold true.
So they decided to destroy the value of everything now, that way when ue5 comes out and more new stuff comes out they technically kept their word because nothing was worth anything.

Recently, I have been reading about the EU5 roll out and references to a modular weapon system. I understand the concept in principle but I was wondering what peoples thoughts were about how this might work. Lets say the weapon is made up of 4 pieces, barrel, stock, grip and firing mechanism. Would each component have its own stats, ie efficiency. Would these stats combine to give an overall efficiency rating. If this was the case, would each piece be upgradable as you progress within the game.

If the above is true, how does this effect the existing weapons in game. Do you think these would also become modular as well or would the old weapons just become redundant ?

I don't think this is what they mean by Modular weapon system. to be specific, I believe you are referencing this particular bit from Q2 report: "To facilitate future production processes and the quantity of items needed, a modular weapon system has been created, which included a re-design of parameterization and its properties."

I think what they mean by this is that in the future game engine, a Melee combat weapon will belong to the category of Melee, similarly all guns will belong to the gun category of weapons, Mindforce, etc... That might not make much sense to us players because we already "put" these things in their respective categories inside our heads but the current game engine does not differentiate. A Weapon is a weapon, that's it.

The avatar's HUD will have "slots" for things and I imagine that we'll all be able to "load" at least 1 from each category, the game needs to be able to tell the difference between weapon types. If you've ever played EVE or WoW, you can easily imagine what that looks like, pretty much all MMOs have these Heads Up Displays where all your "tools", "weapons", "spell casting" stuff is available at your fingertips. We have "key-mapping" in EU, but that system is much too loosey-goosey if you ask me.

@Legends - This is what I was trying to understand and your explanation makes more sense than my original comments. Although I have been playing EU daily for over 11 years, I have no experience of any other MMO's, in fact the only other games I play are driving ones so my knowledge of MMO's is limited to EU. thank you for your comments

To be honest we don't know it's undefined as to what they mean. It could be they have something like you mentioned in opening post or what legends described or something else entirely different.

I wouldn't rule out what you suggested in opening post because they had that kind of idea years ago i.e. from conceptual stages before Project Entropia went live.

I think it has something to do with weapon effects like slowing a mob, weapon buffs along with harnessing the different damage output types like impact, penetration, burn to play into what we're seeing with the Spina mobs and the penalties for certain damages. I think this will be expanded upon to not just have penalties but bonuses as well for using certain damage types and upcoming attachments, elements, etc.

Reme
So they decided to destroy the value of everything now, that way when ue5 comes out and more new stuff comes out they technically kept their word because nothing was worth anything.
ber, Mindark counts only TT, Markup is made up by players. Mindark cant be hijacked by 10 resellers keeping prices artifically high. The rest of us who wants a better and more fun game see those ppl as obsticles and needs to be removed by charm or force. Pick your path.

Back