Unknown claims

Would you like to see the frequency of unknown claims reduced?

• Yes

Votes: 68 72.3%
  • No

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • What's mining?

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bard119

Old Alpha
Society
Callidus
Goatts
I would like to see a change in the frequency of 'unknown' claims. Here's why:
As a rookie miner, when you get a claim of 'unknown' you think 'oh an unknown, I wonder what it is!'
After your 50,000th probe, you think 'oh an unknown, I bet it's a size II Lysterium' :rolleyes:

I haven't tracked the frequency of unknown claims, but I bet it's over 50%. Reducing this, or restricting it to certain ore types/sizes would allow for a greater feeling of anticipation when you're going to extract the claim.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I get something rare, I tend to enjoy seeing it in the claim deed, rather than go poof on the first pull, even though I already know what I got from the loot window. Maybe restrict the unknown claim to extractions that take more than 1 pull?

Or maybe there are reasons I haven't seen why it shouldn't function this way. :scratch2:

Edit: I see a lot of people still like seeing unknowns, so how about make it so the deed won't expire after the first pull. Say, the deed is still readable for the next 30 seconds or so? I know you can tell what you got by counting it up in the loot window, but I would still like to see the deed.

Last edited:
Unknowns should only be for things you haven't had before.

I think it's mainly just legacy now. You can get a ballpark estimate at the size of the claim just by looking at the claim deed and seeing how long you have to dig it up.

I haven't recorded the frequency of unknowns, but when you're a complete newbie, you do get a lot of unknowns. As you skill up to max the finder and beyond you'll get less unknowns. I think the particular mineral also plays a role since it seems like some minerals tend to be unknown more often than others.

i think or believe to think it has to do with depth. say, if ur claim is way away from ur asd with ur current (maxed) finder u more often get a unknown. at least thats what i was the construct i made up for meself. :ahh:

unmaxed finders in my logic also seem to produce them a bit more often, but not really sure about that as unmaxed finders are a nono. :D

As a rookie miner, when you get a claim of 'unknown' you think 'oh an unknown, I wonder what it is!'
After your 50,000th probe, you think 'oh an unknown, I bet it's a size II Lysterium' :rolleyes:

I haven't tracked the frequency of unknown claims, but I bet it's over 50%. Reducing this, or restricting it to certain ore types/sizes would allow for a greater feeling of anticipation when you're going to extract the claim.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but if I get something rare, I tend to enjoy seeing it in the claim deed, rather than go poof on the first pull, even though I already know what I got from the loot window. Maybe restrict the unknown claim to extractions that take more than 1 pull?

Or maybe there are reasons I haven't seen why it shouldn't function this way. :scratch2:

You must be new to mining 50%+ unknowns is very bad result. I usually get one unknown for 15finds. (always using maxed finders)

From my experience (at least in the old days) the amount of unknowns decreased when your skills increased. Not sure if that is still the case though.

50 000 probes and 10k cycled on entropialife, where biggest loot is 7k peds.

What's your skill level?

I am very sure it will reduce the amount of unknown finds when you level up a bit more... I have very few unknown find anyway :)

I'd like it if sometimes, you found an unknown,

then when you started to dig it up you got a global or a hof or an ath :D

Or SOTO

Or well anything but a very poor lyst.

but, I think unknowns reduce as you gain more skills, I do not get many anymore.

Edit: 1000 posts ;D

50 000 probes and 10k cycled on entropialife, where biggest loot is 7k peds.

What's your skill level?

The 50,000 I posted was just a random number, not implying I've dropped that many. :) Not sure how may I've dropped really.

Currently using a maxed F-106, I believe I'm around level 14-15 in ore/enmatter.
Might be partly that I only notice the Unknowns when I get an unusually long streak of 'em.

Last edited:
When you right click ur deed u can check expiry time so u know before u start extrtacting what will u get - II-VIII, IX, X, XI or XII - for bigger claim unknown is global so they are not rele unknown.
My idea is to keep unknown at current rate but they should be rele unknown - no time stamp untill u make first pull and then it could appear as global - imagine u got unknown u come to extract and bang XXIII or whatever ...would have some thrills with 1st pull on unknown each time - especially on FOMA.

Voted no.
I want it like the old days where it is a unknown all the time til you extracted the very last stone or enmatter, and first then it gives you the global/HoF message.
This way you will have no idea what you get until its fully extracted (except towers), in TT value.

What you are asking for basically exists:
- The number of "unknown" claims decreases dramatically when your skill level increases.
- When you are at a low level it usually means a find that is deep and rare for your level (e.g. duru with a f102 finder).
- When you are at a high level most "unkown" are deep and rare (e.g. redulite or ruga).

So why changes this?

In my experience "unknown" claims are tied directly to the Geology skill. Occasional unknown claims are far from an inconvenience (nine times out of 10 I can predict what resource type it is), however I do think they were only relevant in the original mining system in place before I started playing and are no longer necessary. A claim being "unknown" is moot, as miners extract all claims, regardless of resource type or size. Correct me if I am wrong, but this was not always the case.

Voted no.
I want it like the old days where it is a unknown all the time til you extracted the very last stone or enmatter, and first then it gives you the global/HoF message.
This way you will have no idea what you get until its fully extracted (except towers), in TT value.

I would be OK with this, if I could see the details of the claim deed after the extraction. If I find something really rare (even if it's a 1-pull extraction), I like to be able to screenshot it and send it to my buddies on TeamSpeak. Currently if I find something rare and it extracts in one pull, the deed goes blank and I get smack talk of 'screenshot the deed or it didn't happen' :laugh:

I voted no, since I feel it is one of the last bits of excitement left in mining. Unknown...open the deed and see how big the claim might be (time)...start digging, be surprised :D

Also funny stuff happens when you get an unknown, but the global chat tells you exactly what you found :laugh: how does it know :eyecrazy:

Had a few unknown globals in the last mth or so, not really unknown if u global now is it??:scratch2:

How about leave the unknowns as is, but make the deed readable for 30 seconds after the extraction?

When you right click ur deed u can check expiry time so u know before u start extrtacting what will u get - II-VIII, IX, X, XI or XII - for bigger claim unknown is global so they are not rele unknown.
My idea is to keep unknown at current rate but they should be rele unknown - no time stamp untill u make first pull and then it could appear as global - imagine u got unknown u come to extract and bang XXIII or whatever ...would have some thrills with 1st pull on unknown each time - especially on FOMA.

Voted no.

It served a purpose back in the days... now it doesn't.
If only for the sake of tracking claims, I think that unknowns should now be removed.

It will reduce as you skill. I used to get unknowns or everything, even lyst. now its only unknowns for rare stuff like zand and redu, so I get happy when i see an unkown :D

I think they should get rid of them all together.

Yes,
even completely removed. I hate to start drilling and then open inventory to click the deed to see what is it.

I like the unknown ..
I got a lot unknown globals since i mine. It is also some thing, make mining a bit more interesting, as only drop bombs, extract, and go to next.

Mining at this days is really much boring! In old days we find some nice alien ships, maybe content a beacon inside, and it always was a global with 50 peds. I really miss this extra bonus. This also made mining more interesting, as it is now.

I miss the extra signal in my finder, and then some where in near spawn the alien ship. So, please make mining more funny as it is. Increase the unknown to some thing funny,worth full to find, what ever.

I like the unknown ..
I got a lot unknown globals since i mine. It is also some thing, make mining a bit more interesting, as only drop bombs, extract, and go to next.

Mining at this days is really much boring! In old days we find some nice alien ships, maybe content a beacon inside, and it always was a global with 50 peds. I really miss this extra bonus. This also made mining more interesting, as it is now.

I miss the extra signal in my finder, and then some where in near spawn the alien ship. So, please make mining more funny as it is. Increase the unknown to some thing funny,worth full to find, what ever.

I never understood why they took this away. Mining was actually fun back in the days... finding a bot ship was the coolest thing mining has ever seen, and it was ripped from us never to return.
Now mining is just as boring as crafting, but more tedious because you actually have to sit there and move around instead of just "auto" like in crafting.
Next, I wouldn't be surprised if they made an "auto" for mining too.

I think your miner is too high for the skills you have! You have to work up to it like all the rest. You'd do better in mining by going to lower miner.

Hope this helps someone!:eyecrazy:

Back