Help: USB Help

S4400Salvation

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Shaman 4400 Salvation
Greetings i am in need of some help regarding USB ports not working on a Acer Aspire 5750 Laptop.

I am getting the following listing in application management.

Generic USB Hub
Generic USB Hub
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D
Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26
Unknown Device
Unknown Device
USB-mainhub
USB-mainhub

now i installed all the latest chipset/usb drivers from the website but no luck recognizing the usb ports, i do know i need the 2 unknown devices to be fixed but can't seem to figure out where to get the right drivers.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Reactions: das
Old Laptop? If so you might need to do a little soldering

Rgds

Ace

unknown devices will not be fixed with drivers,
it says that malfunction in hardware.
maby your chipset already damaged, or some connector is failing.

sorry to say but your pc soon will die.. unless you find mechanic issuse in your laptop.

It's my brothers, it's designed for win7, 4gig ram, i5 Core, think about 3y old max, i don't think it will fail anytime soon, but does have a hardware failiure on the usb ports if it's not a driver related issue.

It's my brothers, it's designed for win7, 4gig ram, i5 Core, think about 3y old max, i don't think it will fail anytime soon, but does have a hardware failiure on the usb ports if it's not a driver related issue.
The quickest way to check to see if the USB ports are malfunctioning is to plug in a bootable drive into the ports and restart. If the comp recognizes the drive then the ports are fine and it's a driver/OS issue, if not then it's hardware related. Test all ports. You may have to go into your bios settings and change it to recognize the USB drive first.

Having said that, you may also need to update the bios version, as this can cause issues while in windows but not in startup mode or both. Then it's a matter of updating the bios version via CD-ROM drive.

I have the newer 5755G version that I bought broken as I am fixing it. Mine is a bios chip problem. Seems there was some milk spilt on it, well at least I hope it's milk! :eyecrazy:

Hello,

1. Do you have power on any of the connected devices?
2. Do you use any sort of USB extension cable or hub?
3. Are the drivers from Acer website?
4. Maybe it's disabled from BIOS?

Last edited:
The quickest way to check to see if the USB ports are malfunctioning is to plug in a bootable drive into the ports and restart. If the comp recognizes the drive then the ports are fine and it's a driver/OS issue, if not then it's hardware related. Test all ports. You may have to go into your bios settings and change it to recognize the USB drive first.

Having said that, you may also need to update the bios version, as this can cause issues while in windows but not in startup mode or both. Then it's a matter of updating the bios version via CD-ROM drive.

I have the newer 5755G version that I bought broken as I am fixing it. Mine is a bios chip problem. Seems there was some milk spilt on it, well at least I hope it's milk! :eyecrazy:

Hello,

1. Do you have power on any of the connected devices?
2. Do you use any sort of USB extension cable or hub?
3. Are the drivers from Acer website?
4. Maybe it's disabled from BIOS?

Cheers for the suggestions, i will make a bootable usb drive and test it out.

So far i have only tried a 16gig memory stick that works fine everywhere else, no extension or hub, got latest drivers from Acer, i checked the bios, there is a option of selecting the usb in boot option but not sure if that works (will know after i made a bootable), i didn't see a option where i can enable/disable the usb in the bios though, maybe Nor can point it out as he has around the same version of the laptop.

Cheers for the suggestions, i will make a bootable usb drive and test it out.

So far i have only tried a 16gig memory stick that works fine everywhere else, no extension or hub, got latest drivers from Acer, i checked the bios, there is a option of selecting the usb in boot option but not sure if that works (will know after i made a bootable), i didn't see a option where i can enable/disable the usb in the bios though, maybe Nor can point it out as he has around the same version of the laptop.
Depends on your version of bios. But from my memory, there isn't a way to shut off the USB in the standard bios version. There is a mod bios update that has this control, but I think it's limited only to USB 3.0 port.

After you do the bootable drive, also check for power like zues suggested. This can be done by plugging in any phone to see if it will charge. This can be done both in windows and bios. If you find it doesn't have power, it doesn't mean the chip is dead, it could be the regulator or fuse especially if you find the boot drive works. Both of these require a new part to be soldered.

Btw, just for info, a new board for that comp runs between 50 usd to 150 usd on ebay. They also come with the upgraded i7 processor as well. Just make sure the expanded vid card is there. There should be two separate spots with chips plus the CPU port. This is what you are looking for. Right side bottom middle is the USB 3.0 port and there is a separate card for the regular USB ports that you can purchase separately. Fairly easy to install. Here is the pic. So you have options. ;)

I had the same problem on an older Windows 7 system.

Make sure a copy of the "usb.inf" and "usb.pf" files are located in the "c:/windows/inf" folder. If they are missing, you should be able to find a copy in the "c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository".

Back