Suggestion: Utilize Codex to give information about the game

miathan

Alpha
Society
Rangers
Alindrina Alli Golden
Would be pretty cool if advancing in the Codex would give you more information about the mob in question.
Could include things like:
  • Waypoints to spawns (low/medium/high maturity).
  • Damage, damage types and distribution.
  • Loot (common/uncommon/rare).
  • HP and other info you find on the wiki today.
  • Info on similar/related mobs.
Different ranks will give you different information. Not sure what would make sense to give when exactly.

I think this could be especially useful to new players. It could help guide them through a progression of the game.

I know this information can used be shared from players to players but I don't see that as a huge problem.
And still pretty nice to have it unlocked and right there in the Codex.

Edit 1:
Add notepad area to each mob. Similar to sticky notes.
Courtesy of: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...formation-about-the-game.283669/#post-3778423

Edit 2:
Found an almost duplicate thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/codex-improvements.268386/

Last edited:
I had a similar thought about scanners and the loot, but I think your suggestion is better. I especially appreciate any suggestion that excludes any external source and implements it in the game.

I would respectfully oppose this type of move. I like the idea of data being collected and stored in a player-run space independent of the game, where tools and programs can be built on top of it without violating EU TOS (yes, I know MindArk purchased the current wiki, and no I don't know what negative implications this has if any for developers). I fear this would disincentivize maintenance of a wiki even further.

I would respectfully oppose this type of move. I like the idea of data being collected and stored in a player-run space independent of the game, where tools and programs can be built on top of it without violating EU TOS (yes, I know MindArk purchased the current wiki, and no I don't know what negative implications this has if any for developers). I fear this would disincentivize maintenance of a wiki even further.
I understand your fear but I don't think of this as a replacement for the wiki. More like a lightweight, ingame version of it. And the wiki would benefit from this new source of information.

All of you doing armor test to find damage types would have to find something else to do though :rofl:. (Thx to the people that have done and still does this!)

Sorry, you are not the first:

Revive SCANNING!
The more you scan a mob, the MORE ACCURATE results you get on all mob specific stats.

Beginner levels of scanning reveal some basic stats like
  • Attributes
  • spawn waypoints

Advanced levels of scanning reveal more detailed stats like
  • Attack types
  • Damage types (no ratio)
  • spawn waypoints with maturity

Professional levels of scanning then can reveal increasingly accurate numbers for
  • Damage distribution (hit ratio for foot/shins/harness/...)
  • Damage type distribution (now with ratio)
  • spawn waypoints with maturity and density
  • etc...

Master level experience in fighting a mob (combination of scans AND total numbers killed), knowing about the mobs weak spots should reward in knowledge about the mob with certain codex entries like
  • revealing this or that
  • increasing the chance for a critical hit
  • increasing the chance to evade
  • spawn waypoints with maturity and density and alien mob pollution

An absolute number of successful scans (which isnt irrationally high) to reveal a certain stat would be nice, so everybody can complete his codex for a certain mob.
Scan success should be relative to mob level vs. professional level.
:cool:

Last edited:
Would be pretty cool if advancing in the Codex would give you more information about the mob in question.
Could include things like:
  • Waypoints to spawns (low/medium/high maturity).
  • Damage, damage types and distribution.
  • Loot (common/uncommon/rare).
  • HP and other info you find on the wiki today.
  • Info on similar/related mobs.
Different ranks will give you different information. Not sure what would make sense to give when exactly.

I think this could be especially useful to new players. It could help guide them through a progression of the game.

I know this information can used be shared from players to players but I don't see that as a huge problem.
And still pretty nice to have it unlocked and right there in the Codex.
Perhaps, MA could add the ability for players to have a notepad area within the same interface associated to each codex mob where they could add their own comments / notes / links ?

Perhaps, MA could add the ability for players to have a notepad area within the same interface associated to each codex mob where they could add their own comments / notes / links ?
That pretty much just described sticky notes. If I have a mob I'm interested in, I usually keep a note with locations and maturities.

Two hollow nuts like us having the same idea clearly indicates that scanning and codex belonging together is just logically cosistent.

Too bad that MA creates so many loose ends, creates professions, tools and items and then cuts their purpose.

Back