Question: What Is The Ideal Kill Speed?

jambon

Stalker
Society
Shaolin
James Jambon Zidane
In terms of trying to hunt within one's level and bankroll management (via risk of ruin) and trying to catch loot waves, what is an ideal amount of time to spend per mob kill?

I think the general consensus is that it can take a minimum 500 - 1000 loot events before the returns start balancing out to a more expected average return. (At least enough to consider that a fair "run" size). But how does the time it takes you to do those loots come into play?

MA has previously stated the importance of killing things in a reasonable amount of time for ideal returns. Of course, this was later clarified a bit by explaining that there isn't a specific timer in place but that taking longer to kill something would mean more costs such as armor/fap decay (and mob regen?) which would have diminishing returns. So best to not be working on a single kill, fapping like a madman after every 2 shots for 15 minutes lol

But where's the line drawn? What is ideal?
  • If you can plow though 500 kills in about 25 minutes is that too fast? If your entire run is concluded during a down wave could it just maximize losses?
  • If it takes you 6.25 hours to do 500 kills, is that too long? Will you not get enough loot events during good loot waves?
  • If it takes you 16 hours broken across a couple days of a few hours a day is that too long? Are you doomed to have people swoop in stealing hofs in front of you that can kill faster?

Think about it this way: You'll need 100k kills (ball park value) to hit a 1000x, probably 200k kills to hit a 2000x, on average. So if you want to approach your average tt return, 500 kills/h x 200h = 100k kills, 100 kills/h x 1000h = 100k kills etc.

It depends on how much time of your life you want/are able to to spend inside EU really, and your budget For casual gamers, a high kill count is always preferred. For hardcore players glued to the keyboard (or botting), less kills per hour may not be an issue (even profitable - bigber mobs drop nice MU stuff, like big ESI)

as fast as possible with as little overkill as possible.
Ok but what is considered too slow? Not just in the extreme case, but where is the line of when it becomes too slow?

Think about it this way: You'll need 100k kills (ball park value) to hit a 1000x, probably 200k kills to hit a 2000x, on average. So if you want to approach your average tt return, 500 kills/h x 200h = 100k kills, 100 kills/h x 1000h = 100k kills etc.

It depends on how much time of your life you want/are able to to spend inside EU really, and your budget For casual gamers, a high kill count is always preferred. For hardcore players glued to the keyboard (or botting), less kills per hour may not be an issue (even profitable - bigber mobs drop nice MU stuff, like big ESI)
I don't think there are set in stone values of when you get big multipliers like that. I suppose the odds of getting a hof are close to that (IE: 1 in 100k) but working backwards from the logic of "how long do you want to play before getting a big hof" isn't really what I had in mind. I'm more looking for sustainable play and working towards consistent 97%+ returns. And moreover if there is strategy of how long a "run" takes to complete.

Last edited:
as long as you loot a bit faster than the other avatars on similar level hunting at same time you will end up with better loot composition... but it depends on the waves as to what will be in the actual loot... so certain times will be better than others as far as markup, etc. goes. It is known that certain items in loot pools are cycled through in intervals. It's not clear if the cycle start and end point is solely based on timed cycle waves or is based on number of items of whatever x is that is in the loot at that time... like say 100 or whatchamacallits have to be looted before the next round of 500 thingamabobs... I personally think it's more of a timer cycle but some think it may be caps here and there after so many drops

as long as you loot a bit faster than the other avatars on similar level hunting at same time you will end up with better loot composition... but it depends on the waves as to what will be in the actual loot... so certain times will be better than others as far as markup, etc. goes. It is known that certain items in loot pools are cycled through in intervals. It's not clear if the cycle start and end point is solely based on timed cycle waves or is based on number of items of whatever x is that is in the loot at that time... like say 100 or whatchamacallits have to be looted before the next round of 500 thingamabobs... I personally think it's more of a timer cycle but some think it may be caps here and there after so many drops
I remember a conversation not too long ago where it was stated that the rarer loot drops that come in waves are dependant on tt cycle on that particular mob. Still speculation, but encourages a high kill speed to get as many loot instances in the window as possible. For example on NI azurite on brown papoo might only drop for 40 seconds twice an hour.

theoretically, the more shots it takes to kill a mob the less chance of overkill

if you are hunting naked, then the best break-even point is where you don't have to heal

Back