Whatever happened to "Mobs will act as horde and use ultimate artificial intelligence"

McCormick

Deactivated Account
Society
La Faction Beta -LFB-
I know mobs are still "stupid". Hang around, get clicked, move towards the attacker or some green dot on the radar.

I know it did not happen yet...but did I miss any news about "the horde" or "the ultimate artificial intelligence" ?

I know it did not happen yet...but did I miss any news about "the horde" or "the ultimate artificial intelligence" ?

Happening since long time ago, when one, poor red dot is ultimately hoarded by several angry green dots. Seems like advanced AI, innit?

Well we had the feffoids little "dance" around the attacker that thankfully was removed... Drones now stop at a distance from the attacker and shoot from there (before running in if you get too close)... Rextelum switch between different attacks... maybe more is coming, now that they've had a new AI system implemented? :dunno:

I know mobs are still "stupid". Hang around, get clicked, move towards the attacker or some green dot on the radar.

You missed nothing. Ahh yes, the buzz of players, excited that hunting might become more personalized, insofar as you would have some choice about how to interact with mobs.

But alas, the excitement has gone and our Atari-esque mobs remain. Puts me right off hunting tbh.

Fingers crossed though :smoke:

They do actually, and have a very advanced AI:

1. Take a few shots like a champ
  2. Run to target
  3. Ocasionally spin in circles and get stuck in thin air
  4. Kill kill kill kill
  5. When in doubt charge a turret rambo style or drown yourself

The interesting part is how when MA has talked about increasing mob AI, people have complained about how that would make mobs harder (and therefore more expensive) to kill, harder to speedkill/camp, etc... :rolleyes:

The interesting part is how when MA has talked about increasing mob AI, people have complained about how that would make mobs harder (and therefore more expensive) to kill, harder to speedkill/camp, etc... :rolleyes:

There will always be pessimists. :)

I don't mind if it costs a bit more, but am sick of them shuffling about a bit before attacking. I want to feel as though mobs want to tear me to shreds, not needing to go to the toilet. Wits should be part of hunting, not just weapons.

I agree with Nighthawk... Don't bury your own grave :wise:

I am quite glad that MA came to their senses in this instance BEFORE implementing a screwup like that.

well...i don't know about the new horde or ultimate AI but mobs don't get stuck on trees or other terrain objects as much anymore. they also move around and 'interact' with each other to get closer to their targets quicker instead of just bunching up running into each other constantly.

well...i don't know about the new horde or ultimate AI but mobs don't get stuck on trees or other terrain objects as much anymore. they also move around and 'interact' with each other to get closer to their targets quicker instead of just bunching up running into each other constantly.

That new "feature" of mobs is to ensure they encircle you and create more decay for land deeds ROI.:dunce:

Try setting yourself to walk with about 6 or more mobs behind you. See how fast they block you from being able to keep walking. Before you had to stop fully to get them to go around that fast and could walk and train mobs around while healing fully unless they bumped you. Not possible anymore. While it is more realistic that they circle you like that as a mass of mobs would attacking a prey, I am certain MA's motivation to do it was more decay.:wise:

Yeah started noticing this also. Mobs circling around other mobs to get at you.
Wow Superb New AI. ( not being sarcastic here )

Well, yeah, I guess they need to give us AI for all mobs before they can start bitching about that.

This.

We had mobs not blindly attacking the guy with the heavy armor and gun first but instead trying to take out the naked fella with the fap behind him. That's pretty good AI, but ofcourse it was complained about loudly. It might actualy have been an unintendend "feature" to begin with, but it goes to prove the point any way.

This.

We had mobs not blindly attacking the guy with the heavy armor and gun first but instead trying to take out the naked fella with the fap behind him. That's pretty good AI, but ofcourse it was complained about loudly. It might actualy have been an unintendend "feature" to begin with, but it goes to prove the point any way.
At first I thought that was a bug, but started to realise it was a feature, and a very clever one at that too. Also if you attack a mob close to others of its own kind they will jump in as well :laugh:. I think they should just leave it as it is, AI is certainly being improved & I like it. Eventually you will get used to it anyways, so might as well have something interesting.

Yeah started noticing this also. Mobs circling around other mobs to get at you.
Wow Superb New AI. ( not being sarcastic here )

Yes, Atraxes did this a couple of times I got swarmed. It actually did look rather cool, a bunch of Atrax surrounding me and one that was circling. It seems to come as part of the same code that makes mobs pick a better path when getting to you instead of just getting stuck behind the mob that got there first.

Also, ranged mobs not running up to you is a good change, even if it makes hunting harder. This should be rolled out to more that just drones.

This.

Well, most mobs should not understand things like "armor" and "big guy with gun". Others should understand if you are not wearing some armor part[1] or if the mob is delivering larger hits on some part and then concentrate on that. But such changes should be rolled out over time, and not for all mobs. Same with multiple attacks, but for old mobs getting this, players should be given advance warning.

When Umbranoids return, I hope they will have all of the new advanced AI features turned on.

[1] yes, there will be epic whining from people still refusing to get foot guards over this, if implemented.

Also if you attack a mob close to others of its own kind they will jump in as well :laugh:.

So I wasn't just imagining things with those damn Maffoids that ganged up on me when I tried to tag one from a distance :eyecrazy:

Well at least Drones stay far back, as they have ranged attack. That makes sense and adds a little to AI.
I think the Feff dance was ok, although I wouldn't say it added any big challenge.

How about the "unreachable" when we hunted event mobs... lol:silly2:

The problem is with mobs that are in iron mission chains, or mobs that are popular for one reason or another.

For instance, I don't think it's a great idea to mage a significant change of a mob where someone has invested 5000 kills on and needs to kill another 10000 before the "payout".
Or if a junk mob, let's say Atrox or Faucervix, is changed from annoyance to general pain for PED card to meet in the wild.

Well at least Drones stay far back, as they have ranged attack. That makes sense and adds a little to AI.

Before the "Unreachable" (when mobs that were stuck automatically died after some time), ranged mobs did attack from a distance and didn't go close.

It was changed though, because they got Unreachable and you had to run to hug them when the "spider trap hotfix" came, and after that change they approached to come to you (so the AI would understand they didn't stand still because they were stuck).

Last edited:
...but did I miss any news about "the horde" or "the ultimate artificial intelligence" ?

Only the part about the people that made that promise are now on the outside looking in... if they're even looking.
Time to bring some talent back, kids.

Only the part about the people that made that promise are now on the outside looking in... if they're even looking.
Time to bring some talent back, kids.

We need New Kids On The Block...I knew it !

Back