Which weapon type should I progress and skill up in? rifles? pistol? tmelee? rockets? laser? BLP? plasma? ETC?

IHMJack

Provider
I'm mostly going for the most economic hunting and not sure which weapon type to progress in??? please help

I think rifle will be good because you can get alot of hits on mobs ( very long range) before they can hit you, lets you hunt harder mobs and save on armor decay. and can save more money with the omegaton amps, what about the scopes does that help save money?

pistol do not reach quite as far so I think rifles is better

melee seems to give you a bigger armor repair bill

mindforce I heard is expensive way to hunt, I think.

rockets has great range I think but expensive marked up ammo and no rifle amps to save money

Im not sure which one is the best laser, plasma, or BLP.

what about using whips????

I think there are weapons that does area of effect ( AOE ) damage, is that a way to save the most money???

advice would be very thankful!!!! Once again Im aiming for most economic hunting

all weapon groups have a most eco weapon for that group. that said the most eco weapons in the game are laser rifles with amps (these are very expensive) (and laser pistols).

there are BLP weapons that come very close to matching or beating some of those options.

my advice would be to think about what sound you want to hear while shooting as well as look at the SIB charts to get an understanding of what weapons you will be able to use at what skill level.

i chose BLP rifles, at my current skill level i use the apis rifle with a dante amp and it is pretty much the best setup at my level.

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?165740-new-sib-charts.html
http://www.entropiawiki.com/Page.aspx?page=Main Page

what about the scopes does that help save money?
not even MA/FPC know that
afaik we still lack the answers to the question when they said "they will get back to us" or so :p

either way
short version, dont go melee
long version, i made a thread about those problems a while back, should still apply as i read quickly over it
link
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?78614-Current-Melee-Situation-problems-of-melee
(besides, my highest profession is swordsman, i know pretty much what i speak about there)

mindforce I heard is expensive way to hunt, I think
that depends
the overall eco is worse than rifles pretty much
the lower the damage the worse it is actually, because you also have to count the implant decay, which will lower your eco
the implant decays always the same amount, so the lower the damage the more (bad) impact you have on the dam/pec
higher chips are more pricy ofc, so that lowers the eco there :p

however, it can be fun to skill and maybe (dont know the prices there), the skill chip prices could be worth to sell some skills afterwards
in either case, afaik the MF hit professions dont unlock several of the interesting skills, e.g. combat sense, while the MF unlocks they get arent HP relevant (afaik)

rockets has great range I think but expensive marked up ammo and no rifle amps to save money
this is also a skill value thing again partially
because they split the damage to the surrounding area, you can kill small mobs pretty fast, thus getting lots of KSB (kill skill bonus) and skill up pretty fast
some rockets launchers have a nuts damage and the rich pk ppl who are too lazy to skill themselves may buy your skills and put you even again (ya, there is a tad of sarcasm ;) )
anyway, eco wise, bit tough
especially if mobs stand close together and you gotta deal with several bigger ones
with the small grinding mobs that tends to be okish if you are after skills, but everyday 1:1 hunting, prolly not

see melee, besides, the damage is very low and they are very slow
although it has some kind of funny character to whip nekkid boorum, it takes damn long :p

I think there are weapons that does area of effect ( AOE ) damage, is that a way to save the most money???
see rockets and explosives (and MF strike chips)
as i said, they split damage
so if you do 20 damage on 1 mob surrounding you or 10 damage on 2 is pretty much the same, since the cost per shot stays the same
actually you may not even do 10 damage, as it depends how far your target is away
so possibly, the damage that would have been 20 on mob 1, could be 10 on mob 1 but just 8.5 on the closer mob 2
(just saying)

advice would be very thankful!!!! Once again Im aiming for most economic hunting
now it starts to get interesting, because eco, at least effective eco, is not just the plain damage/pec weapons have (although thats definitely a main point), it also depends on damage per second (dps)
as you mentioned yourself, armor decay comes into play too
more dps means you kill the mob faster thus get less armor decay
on smallish mobs that may not be that interesting, as you go bigger however, it can be

next part background info:
1. the closer the amp dam is the max allowed on the weapon, the more eco it is, e.g. a104 with 14 damage fits perfectly on a p4a with 28 damage
2. rifles generally deal more damage but shoot slower, HG generally deal less damage but shoot faster (if you compare dps that is)
3. i just use repairable amps cause the rest sucks, especially with markup

now generally speaking, most ppl somehow go
laser rifle, laser handgun, blp rifle, blp handgun

that is because, as i said, rifles deal more damage
the a101 with 3 damage, doesnt fit on the tt HG (handgun), but on the opalo, so it is easier to start there
sooner or later, the a101 will fit on a HG however, then it starts to become interesting
since the weapon damage of HGs is generally lower than on rifles, the amps are "more eco" on those generally
also, since HGs shoot faster, you get more dps out of the damage the amp provides, as it is used more often

so many ppl more or less stop at the p4a with a104 or the p5a with a104 or a105 (p4a being the most eco option here)
as they progress however, they find that mobs deal more damage and need more armor therefore
also mobs get more HP and have a fast regen rate partially
then dps starts to kick him and now BLP starts to become interesting
also a simple reason for that, the highest laser amps which are affordable do like 18 damage i think (dunno off the top of my head)
however, 18 damage isnt that high
now the lowest (and second most eco) blp amp starts already with 19(!)
thus, at the "lowest" blp ampable area you already have a higher damage amp, thus allowing higher dps
naturally, since rifles deal more damage but shoot slower, you likely end up using a rifle first, as you don't have a HG maxed which could carry the beast amp yet
then, sooner or later, the same thing from laser rifle to laser HG kicks in
once you reached a HG that can carry your beast amp, or even the dante amp (31 damage, so gun needs 62 to carry it), you will get more bang per buck and dps out of the HG likely
(two of the preferred weapon sets at higher dps range atm are the blp rifle apis with dante or the blp HG x1 with dante btw, which offer quite a punch)

so the answer about being most eco here, depends
from plain weapon stats, unless you want to buy a 400k or something imp weapon plus the skills to use it to make use of its eco actually, is likely some kind of p4a with a104
if you want more punch, you likely end up using blp sooner or later

ah yes, that was all imo, open for other suggestions :D

Each type of weapon has advantages and disadvantages.

Most say don't do melee... but on the other hand, there's been hints that some time periods in Next Island, and maybe some locations on other planets eventually, you might not be able to use those fancy guns and have to use melee...

Advantage of melee, even though there is more armor costs, there is also faster evade skills growing because of that.

Most choose rifles like you are thinking about doing, but honestly, with some mobs far up the food chain, it won't matter much what weapon you are using because one hit will kill you if they get through your armor... and some of the mobs are so fast that it won't matter about range much because they'll be on top of you in no time flat. In cases like that, melee might actually be better because the higher dps swords are probably cheaper then rifles of the same dps range due to supply/demand as there are fewer swordsmen...

Honestly though, really high dps melee is not here yet. Highest dps sword that's really not that pricy is the katsuichi determination, and it's not sib... Once they get something that does that much dps in swords that is sib, watch out! We are starting to see some of that stuff with book III swords, but they are still a bit rare.

Something else - what is your long term goal as far as regular monthly deposits go? That's an important question in long term because it helps you figure out how high up the food chain you want to go before your own real world funds will make you hit a glass ceiling. If you know for a fact that you can't deposit 3k ped a month, really think about what you are doing in game that would put you in a situation where you'd want to be doing that regularly...

For instance, most say go with ghost, gremlin, etc. armor, but since those are UL, to get most out of them they need to be repaired fully. If you can't afford both weapon ammo and armor repair on a regular basis, using that stuff might not be the best solution for your particular case since some armor with far lower TT values can do similar level of protection with plates, even though they will need repair more often if you to UL instead of L...

Also, as far as mobs go, what armor do you want to use? That's related to what mob do you want to be chasing down for the rest of forever?

In some cases, it's good to focus on more then one weapon type. This is especially true if you do decide to go melee. If you don't need dodge since you plan to mainly not hit robots, why buy armor or plates that add to burn protection instead of impact? If you don't care to chase down feffoids a lot, why get cold armor or plates?

The armor questions don't seem to be directly related to the weapon question, but they are because you need to stay alive long enough to kill the mob before they kill you, especially now that many LA owners have increased maturities and nerfs have made regeneration happen a heck of a lot faster then in the past. If you can't handle huge packs of mobs spawning right on top of you because armor is not protecting enough or your weapon is not high enough dps, you got to think about if you are hunting the right stuff at the right place, and what your monthly payroll can get you through since you will also have stuff like, I don't know, mortgage payments in real life to deal with sometimes. :)

Some claim pistols are best in long term as far as economics go, but if you are after the most eco pistols in game, they might not be sib, so you might have to have uber skill levels to use them without missing a lot... same with other weapons too. Some love old school non-sib stuff since dps on some of them is nice, but if your not above level 50, well, you will be adding to your bills with repair terminal and the tt terminal in cost of ammo.

Study entropiawiki.com a LOT. Download both pages of the weapons with all selected. Cut and paste it in to excel or open office. Get rid of the extra lines so they are all lined up and sortable... now sort to your heart's content and really study it a lot. Some of the info on there with markup is a bit outdated, but most of it's pretty accurate on dps, etc.

Doing this you can sort with multiple columns instead of just one like the online thing does... that way maybe sort by sib, descending then by dps... maybe sort by weapon type and dmg/pec, etc. Do similar with mob charts. Study a lot and really think about what you are doing and want to be doing in 2 years, 5 years, 10+ years if this game still exists by then. Think about what impact other planets as they are added might have too. Really think about all of it before spending too many peds on any one direction.

What changes in systems we'll see in the coming months can have massive impact on all of it.

As far as your question about whips go... I didn't start using them til after the change of the way tiering works a little while ago. I love the viper on puny mobs since it's at same dmg/pec level as kiwio basically... Since my whip is UL, it cost me a little, but the repairability on it has proved enormously helpful as I can use it til the end of time just repairing as I go. Whips are still mostly undeveloped like the rest of the melee stuff... the sib ones are mostly viper and mamba I think. Crafters don't make a lot of whips often, so if you do go that route, really think about getting UL versions since L is a bit rare on the auction some months.

Have you thought about clubs? That's another area that most don't choose. It's similar to Longblade, but might actually get you in to hunting higher level stuff faster due to the damge per second being a bit higher.

I bought that particular whip prior to vu 9 because I'm a shop owner and was starting to use pets as a way to advertise a little, among other things. In the future, who knows what advantages taming will bring because we have no clue what it'll be like as the system is not back yet. It's all speculation at this point. Actually anything in game is speculation at this point because so many missing systems have been gone so long and there's no eta on fixes for any of it, or given clues as to what future systems will come in to play other then dancing in planet micheal maybe. Who knows, in the future, mannell shoes might be the most eco weapon in game?

Some like area affect stuff like mindforce firestorm chips and stuff, and they are cool to watch, but the fact that they just do a little damage at a time and agro everything in the area makes it highly uneco unless you are team hunting with some folks that can do the finishing shots for you fast.

Last edited:
Don't use any weapons.

Become a trader. :smoke:

Don't use any weapons.

Become a trader. :smoke:
Traders have weapons, just not regular ones... Those are the shops, shopkeepers, auction, and places like Twin and the selling threads on the forum.

Traders have weapons, just not regular ones... Those are the shops, shopkeepers, auction, and places like Twin and the selling threads on the forum.

Yes... however, since you are bringing up the point of trader "weapons", you seem to have forgotten the most important one:

Intelligence :dunce:

To the OP, use whatever weapon you want.

I chose BLP over laser because I like "bang-bang" more than "pew-pew".
<Yes, it is that simple>

thank you very much to Alice and master on writing a such long guide for me, thank you 8)

I really like Alice's idea of BLP is better later because of amp choices, omegaton seems to be very overpriced after the 14 damage amps and BLP does seem to very affordable to up about 19 damage and a very good DANTE amp if you are willing to make a pretty big investment, I may think about giving up my 1400 laser weaponry skill and eat a BLP implant chip and make a switch

I have another big question should I level RIFLE or PISTOL, kinda hate to throw my 2200 rifle skill and start from 1 pistol you know, but willing to do for good reasons???? Energy amp are for Laser and BLP amp are for BLP correct??? what amp is for plasma??? should I consider leveling Plasma over BLP or laser???? Does pistol use the same amps as rifles????

Also which type of sockets should I use to improve my ECO on my guns?

oh ya is it true that most nice high-end armors are much cheaper for female versions VS male versions?

once again thank you guys for the time and help! 8)

Last edited:
I have another big question should I level RIFLE or PISTOL, kinda hate to throw my 2200 rifle skill and start from 1 pistol you know, but willing to do for good reasons???? Energy amp are for Laser and BLP amp are for BLP correct??? what amp is for plasma???

pick rifle or pistol. there's no need for both. choose the one your like for the reasons you like. speed, range, economy, damage/second are all things to consider. plasma weapons use the same amplifiers that lasers do.

should I consider leveling Plasma over BLP or laser???? Does pistol use the same amps as rifles????

the ammunition type is a personal choice. BLP weapons are generally faster but shorter in range. plasma weapons are generally slower but longer in range. lasers are generally a compromise inbetween. lasers have a wider selection of weapon types, BLP in the middle, and plasma the least selection. if you're focused, it's best to stick with one type. usually, this is difficult to do.

oh ya is it true that most nice high-end armors are much cheaper for female versions VS male versions?

not so much, these days, from what I see.

laser rifles (Unl AKA old school) costs alot for a reason.. same with the laser amps..

you can read about it on entropedia..

blp was satan a few years ago.. before ppl started arguing about killing mobs faster might be more eco than killing them the way they always have killed them before.. yeah sure some mobs started to regen hp alot faster than before..

Im a laser weapon shooter with out a laser weapon :D I cant afford a good laser rifle (A-3 mkV ME and up) so I go with the only option I have atm.. and that is any rifle/handgun I can find in auction that I can afford.. usually apis, hl8's and up.. and yeah.. Im not playing hardcore anymore.. at my lvl I would need a imk2 for that (my type of hardcore)

you have to choose yourself.. 2200 rifle is not much.. I would suggest that you go with an opalo and a101 amp until you hit 5k rifle.. Im thinking about doing the same.. but I know how boring it will be.. untill I can afford the imk2 anyways :D

Who knows, in the future, mannell shoes might be the most eco weapon in game?

:D Yes, if EU was RL, you would wake up at home in the morning, eat breakfast and catch bus to work.. but when the day is over you are told the buses are not used anymore, instead you should go to a website and book yourself to a shared railtaxi service. And when you finally get back to your hoods, you are informed that your house is relocated to Antarctica.

:D Yes, if EU was RL, you would wake up at home in the morning, eat breakfast and catch bus to work.. but when the day is over you are told the buses are not used anymore, instead you should go to a website and book yourself to a shared railtaxi service. And when you finally get back to your hoods, you are informed that your house is relocated to Antarctica.

adapt or die! :D

I have another big question should I level RIFLE or PISTOL, kinda hate to throw my 2200 rifle skill and start from 1 pistol you know, but willing to do for good reasons????

I would suggest that if you want to go with pistol later on use the iron missins wisley.

I want to move up in laser pistol (again ;)), but there is no good eco option for pistol until you can max the p3a or p4a.
So I am doin the daikaba missions with the opallo rifle, and when I finish the mission I will get 10 PED of HANDGUN skill (around 2000 points)... which I am hoping will get me close to maxing the p4a. If not I can use a lower pistol like the p3a or use an eco rifle to do the cornucacada mission and gain another 30 PED of Handgun skill as reward.

Honestly the Daikba mission provides the perfect reward to compensate for the lack of a good noob pistol.
Use the opalo and grab 2k rifle skills while you finish then mission and get a 'free' 2k pistol skills when your done ;)

JEHU

> Thanks to Eron2 for the link to my SIB charts!

id like to state one more thing, blp is generally less eco than laser, for higher mobs however the dps aspect comes into play (and at 180% or whatever the bigger L laser rifles have, blp is more eco at 130% or whatever apis has atm)

as to the "start from scratch"

rifle and handgun share exactly the same skills but one, and thats either, of course, rifle/handgun
now both skills are used in the hit profession, damage one is even the same, so it doesnt matter damage prof level wise what laser weapon you skill with (blp is another section ofc)
so generally more influence has the decision of either blp or laser, if you plan to switch as early as you can to another, what depends on your goals

in either case i wouldnt chip out rifle skills, cause they are HP related and more HP don't hurt usually :p

plasma i wouldnt go for at all, there are no useful guns out there
the 0xfunnyfigure plasma HGs are fairly decent and even decently priced, but no idea how long they will be around as they seemed mostly harbinger event based
all other plasma L guns have a really funny % (like those rifles :p) or a really low dps (like the willards)

plasma is likely one of the harder to skill professions, eco wise maybe not as bad as melee but availability wise it isn't much better i guess
as melee there is no real "goal" too
say for laser and blp you have some upper range guns you may want to use, LR66 for pvping or apis for hunting for example, plasma nor melee doesnt have that really, unless you count those ~+20 000 ped unL SIB weapons (which i left out totally in my 2 posts here pretty much)

but in either case, that depends a lot on what you want to do
e.g., i am mostly skilled in LB, cause back in the days when it was good to start with it i did too and i stayed with it even as it got harder, much to some tougher decisions and annoyances, but dont get me started :)
yet, i am also fairly skilled in HG and rifle (~1000 pts more in rifle though), even blp is similar to laser

thats mostly the case as i did a similar thing as i described, also had a laser rifle later on as finisher (opalo, who would have thought :D), but wanted to keep HG and rifle fairly close together as they are HP skills
then for the "bigger" stuff i needed blp after a while, also when going for bigger team hunts and stuff, so those skills got built
and looking back, i can't say anything of that was too bad, as my main goal was always longblade related and was set higher on the path
yet, at lower areas and as finishers laser guns used to be good for eco (see amps)
but looking back at later skill tests i did i probably could have reached my LB goal ~1 year earlier if i had concentrated on melee weapons, albeit at the cost of eco, which i did later on with some more hardcore grinding and skill testing, but KSB and merping is another story :D

yet, point is
there is not necessarly THE way, there is A way, which is most useful in your current situation and which may be not so useful when you change your goals in the future and look back
but figuring your goals out now may be tougher than you think ;)
hence, i hope a bit of funky info from me helped ya there :D

Yes... however, since you are bringing up the point of trader "weapons", you seem to have forgotten the most important one:

Intelligence :dunce:

<Yes, it is that simple>

Lovely,
I always thought inteligent ppl don´t need to say to others how inteligent are they :dunce:

Btw, I think hunters, miners or crafters who can play at higher lvl with low or no deposits, are the inteligent ones here.
Not sure about ppl staying all days in twin and shouting: ************Buying ore/enmaters, best prices ever !!! ************** what usually means crude for 101% and lyst for 101.5% lol

sorry for off topic

Last edited:
To a friend who was just starting, I gave them advice that was more or less like this(Mostly I focused on being Eco):

Get either the opalo or the P1A(from auction). Either way you will eventually want to end up going Laser Pistoleer so you can use the Korss. The Korss has excellent DPS/ECO and has a very low level rec. If you want more DPS at the start but you are willing to wait a little bit longer for the stronger weapon, go for the opalo. The skills translate well over to Laser Pistoleer. So a little while after maxing the opalo, you could grab the P2A or P3A and skip the P1A. If you wanna get the Korss quicker, go with the P1A, but your DPS will be really low at the start. And make sure to get an Omegaton A101 Amp any way you decide to go.

At the higher mid level game though, you'll definitely want to use BLP. Relative to laser weapons, the eco for the lower level tier blp weapons is usually lower, so it's hard to start off with these. If you're willing to sacrifice eco to get to where you want to be faster, than I would suggest grabbing a CB5 and going this route. The Apis which is the gun you will eventually want to use, has good Eco for it's DPS, as well as a low level requirement. For some it may be feasible to use the Korss until they can switch over to the Apis. Also if you used the Opalo earlier, the rifle skills will come in handy.

I would probably suggest going Opalo > Breer PxA series > Korss > Apis for the most Eco route. The whole time you would be very eco, and you would have decent DPS most of the time. If you start to get tired of the Korss, you could switch over to Isis HLx line. Or if you wanted to use the apis sooner, go Isis Lrxx or even Isis Cbxx line.

Last edited:
I may think about giving up my 1400 laser weaponry skill and eat a BLP implant chip and make a switch

This is not a good idea imo. LWT sells for roughly 1000% atm, but keep in mind that the esi already costs about 730%. So for about 5 ped TT of LWT, you will only get 5 x 270% = 13.5 ped... And you actually need an esi which is 10% bigger than the tt value, so that's another small loss.

Good luck !

i would say skill up in rifle, till you can use the Korss 400, then use that.

i think pistols are more for bigger mobs. as in mobs which you have to have armor for.

where as rifles, are the your lower mobs.

I use rifles and hunt with no armor, on mobs such as atrox young-old, argo, drones 01-05

works pretty well

I think i will make a switch to BLP because it seems like most of the ECO amps that has alot of power seems to be BLP based, ECO laser amps seems to stop at about 14dmg and any after that is super overpriced

But the big question still remains RIFLE or PISTOL? please help thank you 8)

Im kinda looking for something that I wont regret 2-4 month from now, I want to pick a leveling route that i wont regret even a year from now actually

thank would be greatly appreciated thank you

APIS+DANTE is a rifle & the amp almost accompliments the gun. Not sure what BLP pistol is equal to the Apis. So with Rifle mate.

APIS+DANTE is a rifle & the amp almost accompliments the gun. Not sure what BLP pistol is equal to the Apis. So with Rifle mate.
i think x1 is the first which can carry the dante

anyway, what i forgot, dante isnt exactly called affordable

i think x1 is the first which can carry the dante

anyway, what i forgot, dante isnt exactly called affordable
I had about 4 of those in my storage not to long ago at one time :laugh:, talk about not affordable :).

I'm mostly going for the most economic hunting and not sure which weapon type to progress in??? please help

I think rifle will be good because you can get alot of hits on mobs ( very long range) before they can hit you, lets you hunt harder mobs and save on armor decay. and can save more money with the omegaton amps, what about the scopes does that help save money?

Prolly should go with Rifles then....

Prolly Melee no good...

mindforce I heard is expensive way to hunt, I think.

Might not be "eco"

Did you say Rifle?

:scratch2:

:ahh:

:scratch2:

I think a Rocket Rifle Whip is what you want... Marco has an upcoming anouncement about those coming soon.

Sorry.. Rocket Rifle Whip(L)

Back