Question: Why did the continents change shape?

Dorsai

Elite
Society
Supremacy Reign.
Hi,

I have just looked at the new maps as posted on Entropedia, and it got me thinking..... (Not always a good Idea I agree!)

Why did the continents change shape?

A small change here, and a small change there I could understand as being due to the new system, but the reality is more looking at a map of the real-world from 1500 and then a map from today.

The continents are not the same shape!

We arrived on calipso by space, how on Calipso did the early cartographers manage to get it so wrong? Were they looking through the wrong end of their satellite camera's when they photo-ed the planet?

Moving TP's outposts, etc I understand. Being man made then can be moved. But it;s hard to understand how a continent can change shape overnight, with new rivers, lakes, mountains....

Thoughts?

Over to MA to come up with a cover story...

Typhoon crashed and they need to reterraform the planet?

Why did the Berycled cross the road?

a) To get to the other side
b) To avoid being crushed by a large object falling from the sky.
c) 42

That thinking stuff sure is dangerous :D

:beerchug:

Miles

Have you seen Hades? Go take a look... it's a big hole in the ground. The impact cause the continents to shift. It actually did more than that... it actually caused the entire planet to move. We used to circle a sun and our planet never rotated. Now the entire planet rotates and we see the moon on occassion...

and also the explosionn caused a climate change with consequent change of sea level. Obviously several mechanisms going on here...

You know how hard it is to "copy" a map from old engine to new engine by hand?

Well I don't... But I know it ain't the easiest job in the world. :)

Plate Techtonics :)

Have you seen Hades? Go take a look... it's a big hole in the ground. The impact cause the continents to shift. It actually did more than that... it actually caused the entire planet to move. We used to circle a sun and our planet never rotated. Now the entire planet rotates and we see the moon on occassion...

Yea, big ass spaceships tend to do that.

Now Calypso is in a simi-retrograde rotation on it's axis. Notice how the sun rises in the SE and sets in the NW. Gravity has been increased due to the extra speed of the rotation ( hence why we run slower) Tp's had to be moved because their old spots got mountains and such in the way.

Interesting to note that when a large object crashes into a planet, ripples extend through out the planet crust and when the shockwaves converge on the other side of the planet, great mountains are formed at the direct opposite spot from the impact.

Anyone know how the Himalaya's were formed? An asteroid 6 miles wide hit the Yucatan Peninsula. The shockwave converged on itself in what is now know as the Himalaya mountains :)

A big spaceship crashes into a relatively small planet.
Said ship goes boom.
Boom sends water and debris flying, alters the planets orbit slightly, disturbs techtonic movements, air and water cycles etc...
Water levels rise, weather patterns change, earthquakes occur, volcanoes erupt violently...
Face of the planet changes over 5 years...
We come back to find it different.

Sounds pretty plausible to me!
:wise:

Addition to my other post

Oh yeh. continents gain mass in some area's and loose mass in other's. This is a 'frequency' if you will. These are called risers and troughs.

A normal radio frequency cross section would be the same as the frequency of the shockwave ( speaking relatives here ) the spikes/risers of said frequency are what make the new land mass' and the trough are what make new dips, craters and water.

Interesting about sea level mentioned some post before in this thread, now the sea level (checked 10 days ago +/-, maybe changed in last VU Updates) is 100m instead 0m

You know how hard it is to "copy" a map from old engine to new engine by hand?

Well I don't... But I know it ain't the easiest job in the world. :)

Perhaps not easy, but I know what it used to look like, so I think I might notice if I got it wrong when re-entering it.

Also data is data, regardless as to the data-base it's stored in.
One Data-base holds the data "This is data" as ASCII. I can turn it into binary:

Code:
010101000110100001101001011100110010000001101001011100110010000001000100011000010111010001100001

Or Hex:

Code:
54 68 69 73 20 69 73 20 64 61 74 61 0d 0a

So one should be able to take a map from one system, and put in in another, and still end up with the same map.

This is not a wine, as ultimately is does not really matter. Had MA put up a cover story about some major climatic cataclysm then I would not think it odd. As it is the continents changed shape, and not a peep out of MA as to why.

I just find it "odd" that's all.
:rolleyes:

Have you considered that those useless parts of amethera were manually teleported to Eudoria?

Or just research reclaimed land (LMGTFY)

:scratch2:
I had a dream

And in my dream there was a hurrikane and it wailed
as it huffed and puffed across the landscape
"wiiiiill there be mooooore?

Then a spirit named Frank calmed the Hurrikane...
"be calm... as I say unto you Hurrikane:
there will be more continents on calypso
(as well as other cool stuff like underwater areas)

more dreams to come

:eek:

Last edited:
Interesting to note that when a large object crashes into a planet, ripples extend through out the planet crust and when the shockwaves converge on the other side of the planet, great mountains are formed at the direct opposite spot from the impact.

Anyone know how the Himalaya's were formed? An asteroid 6 miles wide hit the Yucatan Peninsula. The shockwave converged on itself in what is now know as the Himalaya mountains :)

Seriously: Is this true or did you make this up?

Also data is data, regardless as to the data-base it's stored in.
One Data-base holds the data "This is data" as ASCII. I can turn it into binary:

Code:
010101000110100001101001011100110010000001101001011100110010000001000100011000010111010001100001

Or Hex:

Code:
54 68 69 73 20 69 73 20 64 61 74 61 0d 0a

Hint: file formats :rolleyes:

I don't know what type of engine MA used before VU10, whether it's widely used or something. But there are times when data conversion between systems is more expensive than rebuilding/rewriting them again.

Also you shouldn't forget that the old map was built the way it was since the old engine had its limitations and didn't have all the options the new engine has. Could you imagine to still run around the hills with the somewhat edgy terrain? I mean it wasn't edgy but you could always feel the data grid below the surface.

IMO it was a wise choice to redo Calypso. Well, we could discuss whether or not it was nesessary to change that much. But then that discussion would be pointless as nobody would change it back :D.

Seriously: Is this true or did you make this up?

While I have not heard of this (I'm not a seismologist), I think a point to make is that, if it were true, the shockwave lasted millions of years (and still continuing). Would love to see a quote from a refereed journal about it though :)

While I have not heard of this (I'm not a seismologist), I think a point to make is that, if it were true, the shockwave lasted millions of years (and still continuing). Would love to see a quote from a refereed journal about it though :)

Plate tectonics actually - the Indian plate is bumping into the Eurasian and hence the himalayas.

The African plate is bumping into Europe and hence the Alps.

Plate tectonics actually - the Indian plate is bumping into the Eurasian and hence the himalayas.

Yes I am aware of how tectonic mountains are formed. Whether such tectonic movement can be attributed to a singular extraterrestrio-seismic event is what I am questioning.

Theres at least One VERY good reason, at least from MA point of wiew. By changing the look of the map, and move all resourcses here and there. They screwed the most experienced miners from their tactics. They KNEW where to find different resoursces pre. VU 10. Now with EVERYTHING scrambled around, everyone is like a noob when it comes to mining. :eek:

The opposite side of the globe from the Yucatan is in the Indian Ocean a long, long way from the Himalayas.

The map of Calypso wasn't changed.

Didn't you notice the blue pill they gave you in the revival center on the "space station".

The robots won the war people, you are all just batteries now.

Yea, big ass spaceships tend to do that.

Now Calypso is in a simi-retrograde rotation on it's axis. Notice how the sun rises in the SE and sets in the NW. Gravity has been increased due to the extra speed of the rotation ( hence why we run slower) Tp's had to be moved because their old spots got mountains and such in the way.

hmm and to think the science channel says it was just continental drift :scratch2:

The simple answer....

Day blowd up!

For more detailed reasons....

Gives MA a chance to redo the planet more to what they envisioned in the first place

Shifts resources and everything else giving experienced players a chance to feel like noobs again and have a sense of discovery

Shifts resources and everything else to take away some advantage to older players and make a few extra PED for MA in the process

I think it`s like a kid in the candy store or more like a player starting a fresh map in one of the old Sims games....because they can

not so sure on your positoning Ace as the continents were much closer together at the time in terms of longitude... but the latitude seems about right... since this wasn't my dream... I can't be sure...

time to take another nap...:cool::eek::cool:

Brooklyn put her foot down.
This pushed Calypso off of it's axis, and onto Jenny Craig.
:wise:

That's true of course. But the question is if there was an initial *bump* at one point that made things a little more hilly there than it would have been.

The opposite side of the globe from the Yucatan is in the Indian Ocean a long, long way from the Himalayas.

Well, as the distance between one point and the other side of it is quite large and the geological structure is not the same around the planet, it may still be a valid point.

I guess that FilthyMcNasty didn't make up that story of his but it's a wild theory.

Back