Wish: Fullscreen Windowed

Atlantis

Provider
Archie Atlantis Sims
It's 2013. I have had two monitors for at least 5 years now. I'd love to have a fullscreen windowed option. Please?

I'd love to have a fullscreen windowed option. Please?

Fullscreen...or windowed...I think I have a clear understanding of those concepts...but you're going to have to help me with the synthesis of both...

Perhaps that's also the reason why it doesn't exist yet

Fullscreen...or windowed...I think I have a clear understanding of those concepts...but you're going to have to help me with the synthesis of both...

Since he mentioned 2 monitors, apparently he wants to stretch the game window across both, because the current implementation of fullscreen uses only 1 monitor.

I think you are missing the point. The current max windowed size barely covers half the stardard screen. When you use full screen mode you are locked into fullscreen and cant minimise and maximise while doing other things, like quickly checking Entropedia or PCF. Many other games have minimise and maximise functions on their fullscreen mode. Its just EU that insists that you log out to leave full screen mode.

Hence, I agree, I too want the option of fullscreen windowed mode.

I may be missing the point...but something is either fullscreen or it is windowed, it can't be both!
What you are saying is that you want other resolutions or related options...?

I may be missing the point...but something is either fullscreen or it is windowed, it can't be both!

When I play EVE or RIFT (forget which has it) in full screen, there is a minimise option in the top corner. Windowed means it can be moved about and minimised rather than being locked like the current fullscreen format.

hold alt and then push tab and release....

that will minimize any full screen game... unless there is a specific option to disable that.:dunce:

that will minimize any full screen game... unless there is a specific option to disable that.:dunce:

That actually swithces active windows in any MS Windows environment, you can press CTRL+ALT+ENTER to switch from windows mode to full screen

That actually swithces active windows in any MS Windows environment, you can press CTRL+ALT+ENTER to switch from windows mode to full screen

you only need ALT+ENTER

:)

you only need ALT+ENTER

:)

If I start entropia in windowed mode, I cannot switch to fullscreen mode, whichever buttons I push.

If I start entropia in windowed mode, I cannot switch to fullscreen mode, whichever buttons I push.

Works for me (Win7/x64). It also not just stretches out the current windowed resolution as it does with some other games but switches to the resolution that is defined in settings for the fullscreen mode.

Not what the op asks for, though :)

Not a smooth solution - games like to crash when switching graphics modes (hell, EU often crashes just when you change resolution or gfx quality in game), screen flickers and distorts and it's very annoying when you need to switch back and forth a lot and fast (like when copying data to entropedia or something).

Last edited:

It can very much be both! Full screen windowed is exactly what it sounds like, windowed mode, but full screen.

Essentially it is a borderless window that covers one entire monitor at your desktop's resolution. Currently in my 1920x1080 screen the best option I am presented with, without modifying the config file is 1600x900. I am losing quite a bit of real estate.

I do know about ALT+TAB, if I use this while in fullscreen mode, when I tab back into the game there is a delay in everything being re-rendered. Windowed mode completely removes that delay. I can do whatever I want to on my second monitor, browse PCF, watch youtube or netflix and still see everything that is going on in Entropia, and instantly switch back, with no additional time for the computer to re-render everything.

Full Screen windowed is offered in many new games, and almost every new MMO that I know of. I think it is time EU got this option. Since there is already windowed mode I suspect the coding time would be minimal.

There is a setting-ce.cfg or something like that.
You can set there every resolution you want.

There is a setting-ce.cfg or something like that.
You can set there every resolution you want.
This, open settings-ce.cfg with notepad and change the values below:
Code:
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]r_HeightWin = 1010[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]r_WidthWin = 1914[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=verdana]
[/FONT][/COLOR]
You can set your own, I found these values perfect for my 1920X1080 Screen.
After you are done, save and then just start up Entropia and you will find your set size under the windowed screen size roll-down menu

Awesome, didn't know you could do this! I'll try it out next time before I log back in.

It's 2013. I have had two monitors for at least 5 years now. I'd love to have a fullscreen windowed option. Please?

Signing in with both hands!

Yes I'm aware you can switch to custom resolution in ini but this is completely other thing than full screen window mode, as you have borders of window visible in hacked mode.
Also not sure how most gfx cards cope with custom resolutions....

Subscribe.
I have 2 monitors too...

Wow, this thread shows up on Google. Why does this game not have Full screen windowed mode? It's been out since like the Commodore-64, you'd think you could have implemented that by now.

When I play EVE or RIFT (forget which has it) in full screen, there is a minimise option in the top corner. Windowed means it can be moved about and minimised rather than being locked like the current fullscreen format.

This is windowed mode.

Windowed fullscreen means that it will cover your entire screen like Fullscreen, but you can open programs and use all your monitors freely without having to tab it completely out :)

I made this suggestion some time ago and basically got the same two answers you got:

1) What the hell is fullscreen window mode

2) Edit the cfg file

I agree with you, I also use 2-3 monitors. Fullscreen window mode (sometimes also called "borderless window mode") is when the game window is stretched to fit the monitor. Difference between this and fullscreen is that the game doesn't get minimized if you are i.e. Checking the forum on your second screen. Or for that matter if you're watching a movie in fullacreen the fullscreen window mode doesn't distort the movie image as in fullscreen.

Borderless window function is standad in pretty much all games these days, it isn't too much to ask to have that function and that they add resolutions that fit modern monitors. Having to edit the cfg file is unacceptable (even if it is easy, when you know about it)

Using "Process Explorer" (free tool from www.sysinternals.com) which is a replacement for the windows task manager, but can also be used on the side, you can right click the entropia.exe process, followed by the (expandable) windows option and then maximize option.

Also nice to play with for other reasons.

Back