EntropiaForum Server Move

Site Admin
Admin
Up until now, EntropiaForum has always been hosted on a single server. With the rapid growth of EntropiaForum, and the potential for massive growth of Entropia Universe in 2008, EF is beginning to strain the limits of this single server platform. This is most apparent at peak traffic times, such as when Entropia Universe is down for VU updates. My goal is to ensure that EF is capable of handling such peak traffic times and support upwards of 1500 simultaneous users (current record is 653).

I have done some research on the best hosting platform for a large and rapidly growing forum-driven website (which are extremely resource intensive). I have settled on a very well esteemed host, which has a world-class datacenter and very good hardware and support. EF will very soon be moved to this new host, and be housed on two separate servers: one for http serving, and one dedicated database server.

For the technical minded, here are the specs of the two new servers:

• Processors: Dual-Processor Quad-Core Xeon 5335 - 2.00GHz (Clovertown) - 2 x 8MB cache
  • RAM: 8 GB FB-DIMM ECC
  • HDD: 4 X 73GB SA-SCSI 15K RPM in RAID 10 Configuration
  • Network: 1000 Mbps (Gigabit) Public & Private Networks
  • Datacenter: Mutiple-Redundant 6 X Gigabit (1000 Mbps) Connections

This new hosting platform also allows the addition of load-balanced front-end webservers as needed, to accomodate the growth of the community.

The main difference from EF member's point of view once the move is complete will be much faster responding pages, with quicker load times, and fewer periods of unexpected downtime (as we had several times over the past week).

Updates on the scheduling of this server move/upgrade will be posted in this thread:

http://www.entropiaforum.com/forums...coming-entropiaforum-server-upgrade-move.html

Can't wait for the faster EF... Though IMO it's pretty fast already...

It's good that you're preparing for the future by investing in new servers now :)

- Nightwolf

How much is all this costing you? Im quite interested in knowing this for my personal use.

Back