Lily arrives abruptly

Aura Lily

Old Alpha
Society
wannabe cK n00b
Aura Chlorene Lily
Once upon a time I wrote this story to get a key for the Star Gate Worlds beta. My story was one of the few selected and I got the key (chhh-ching) anyways this is what I wrote .. criteria was 1000 words or less and be about the Star Gate Universe.

the story ...

I regained consciousness laying face down on the ground my arms crossed over my head. Above the ringing in my ears I hear the unmistakable slurping sound of a Chappa'ai closing behind me. Relaxing for a second I shake my head and try to focus my eyes. As my surroundings become clearer the world I landed in starts to take the shape of a temple like structure. Shifting the overheated zat to my right hand I rake my hair back from my face and roll to my side. No sound of energy bolts pulsing though the air, no smell of the burning structure that I indistinctly remember being in moments, minutes or was it hours ago. Shaking my head again does not reveal the recent past to me, just a feeling of relief to be not where I was and a slight smugness that I got away mostly intact. Sitting upright, blinking my eyes and holding my head steady I again try to focus on the nearby surroundings. The temple like structure is not exactly in ruins, it is more like a new construction that is growing up around the Chappa'ai. The continual recycling of materials found around the gates appears to be one of the galactic constants. I lay the weapon on my lap and lean back on my hands. Sniffing the air I do not detect anyone or anything I recognize. After a few moments of rest I summon my remaining adrenaline reserves I push myself to a standing position and tuck the still hot zat inside my tunic. Leaning forward I spit out gritty dirt and maybe a chip of tooth.

My blurry first thoughts are to find some clothing to cover-up the scorch marks on my tunic by staff weapon near hits. Weapons damaged clothing is not as conspicuous as running around with a weapon in the open but it is often best to be as unnoticeable as possible. Keeping a low profile has served me well in the past. Touching my hip I add finding a healer to my short to do list. The stinging of my bottom brings back memory of hiding behind the dialing device and my first two tries at dialing in a friendly address. The first attempt resulted in having my pack blasted to pieces and a burned butt. On the second try a good bit of my long braid got vaporized. Dialing a gate address blindly while in cross fire is not recommended. My hope as I squatted behind the consol was that the address I blindly dialed was someplace I wanted to be.

As more numbness in my mind passes the memory of everyone shooting is slowly filling in. I'm fairly certain I was not the cause of all the commotion, well mostly sure, although many of the energy bolts were aimed in my direction for some few but very intense minutes. Those noisy moments are still indistinct. However, I do remember that after the Chappa'ai had been open for a long while, I fired my zat in a sweeping arc as I ran for the event horizon as quickly as I could move.

Then nothing, I obviously made it though.

Then I remember. Crap. Just before gating from Pangar to Madrona, I stuffed the artifact in the control rod panel on back of the pedestal. The group of Jaffa on Madrona was not a pleasant surprise. Escaping them as easily as I did was though, now that I have a moment to reflect on recent events. A smile creeps across my face despite the recent danger. This planet might give me the time I need to get back to Pangar and retrieve the artifact. By the time the Jaffa figure out where I have gone and finally get here I will have the artifact and be on my way to Madrona and my buyer via another route.

I press the symbols for Pangar and look around as I step though. Bugger! He found me. It is him because he has a nice big dent in his snake head helmet. And he obviously was waiting here for me because up comes his staff weapon and as fast as it will charge he fires in my direction.

I roll to a stop behind the dialing device. The stone floor is scorched by blasts from his weapon. I shout for him to hold off killing me for a few seconds so we can talk. Surprisingly, he stops shooting.

"OK, so listen, I'm sorry for hitting you in the head with that rock. It wasn't an accident but I couldn't get to my pack with my zat'nik'tel, forgive me?"

Two quick bolts from his staff weapon hit the floor near my right foot. I scoot a little closer to the consol.

In a very deep and gruff voice he replies, "Where have you taken the artifact you stole from my Master?"

"Artifact?" I reply. The floor thuds with another blast from his weapon.

"OK, ok, I remember some odd trinket that was just laying there covered in dust and I might be able to remember where I saw it last if you will stop trying to kill me."

I hear the butt of his staff weapon tap the floor as these boys are trained to do. His guard is monetarily down as he does this. I spring up and fire as quickly as I can in his general direction. He falls like a sack of stones.

"Too easy" I say as I walk towards his body and retrieve his staff weapon.

I pry open the compartment with the control rods. I pickup the neatly wrapped leather bundle and step around the consol dialing a friendly address. As I step through the gate I drop the staff weapon half in half out of the even horizon, making sure the power supply is on his side of the Chappa'ai. The Chappa'ai closes and the business end of a staff clatters down the steps.

Back