How I would do it - Entropia Universe

R4tt3xx

I want to believe
Society
Freelancer
Alexis Sky Greenstar
This little entry is something that I think I have mentioned before, but it's time to put it on the record.

The minimum amount of $ that can be changed into ped is $10, and this gets converted into +-100ped...

Lets distribute this ped evenly.

X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X
X X X X X X X X X X

This gives us a very nice array. Each point on the array contains an average of 1 ped. Once the point in the array is accessed, the potential for each other point to contain the same 1 ped of loot changes, the problem is finding the points.

If you base this array on an avatar's worth the array gets huge, with its x by y size being the rounded up value of the square root of that avatar's worth, with each loot potential equalling the avatar's value / the amount of points in the array. An array like this will increase the difficulty for each level that is reached and even out the playing field so to speak. It will be more difficult to sustain a higher level as more work / resources will be needed to maintain it.

Each avatar will be gaining levels and increasing the size of his / her grid without even knowing it, having his or her worth distributed evenly across it.

And then there is the decay, a lovely little system that decreases your worth by x% for each transaction levied. An avatar at noob level will find his pool of 100 ped drained to 1% of that value in 90 transactions at a mere 5% decay.

The point where peds = transactions remaining is about 26.5 ped. I am suspecting that Falko will know more about this than I do, ask him about it.

Not much can be done about the decay, you can only buy yourself more time (just like the other spreadsheet MMO that we will not be mentioning hereby) by selling the resources that you acquire at a markup to others that will now take on your risk. So buying an item on auction is risky.

This is my basic idea, no spirals (yet), no timing (sorry Legion), no randomness (sorry gamblers) Oh yes the value of 5%.....

Well it could simply be wasted space, you can't square a circle (in normal space anyway).

Area of a circle = pi()*r^2. Lets do this to the 1km that I mentioned. pi()*500^2 = 785398m. Lets do the same to the square. 100000. So we have 785398/10000, 78.54%. So you can only cover 78.54% of a squared area with circles. It may go down if you use circle packing but it will never reach 0%.

What I would do with the wasted space is use it to buff the values of certain matrices, or a certain pattern of matrices and change those rules over time.

See what I am doing here, I am addicting you and training you on how to use my system. When I change it, the persons that can adapt will remain, while the rest that I have gotten into the same rhythm as my previous system will fall away, leaving me with more peds to cycle back into the system.

In order to be legal I would have to employ rules that are fair and utilize uniform distribution or central limit theorem, that way it cannot be viewed by any authority as gambling.

I would also introduce a 0 ped point value, ie a resource that has no value except for the value that the community places on it, and drop that resource based on the same system above.

Ah yes the economy, well that would be fixed, I would allow the higher tiered players access to resources that have a higher markup and decrease their drop rates based on the economy. I would also introduce new resources and content, as well as areas in order to keep the higher tiered players happy and spending peds.

There is a problem with this, players would have to rank up once again in order to access the higher end resources. On the flipside players can band together in order to fight these new challenges in so doing, creating guilds and social networks. I would also add in a form of player vs player. Either in the markets or virtual avatar on virtual avatar.

Players would have to play in order to get somewhere, the system would balance out. Players that find loopholes will be rewarded with extra resources and I would be alerted to these holes via a visual feedback in the client itself, that way every player would know that player x found something greater than the average.

The distribution system would be where the real heart of the system would be. It's advanced construction will be the topic of my next blog.

L8r

Back