Avatar-based loot potential?? Nahhhhh....

Coelacanth

Stalker
Coelacanth Coelacanth Maryka
Evening, Feb. 3, 2008 – Observations Of An Atrax Hunt

I hunted almost all my free time most of Saturday and Sunday, but since I just began this blog and I’m back-timing this particular entry, it’s abbreviated to show my observations during a single hunting excursion. On the evenings of last week, I returned to an old place where I used to hunt often: NE of Jason Centre, North and Northeast of the outpost there which is located just west of the desert where big atraxes can be found, and a sprinkling of longus from youngs to olds. It’s also a great area for picking berys! Since I shot it up a lot late last week, I figured I’d dedicate myself to hunting there and see what happened.

I’d been out in the desert for hours now. I’d seen neither hide nor hair of anyone during all that time, evidently this region isn’t a popular hunting spot anymore, but I like my quiet times slaughtering masses of mobs anyway. ;)

As I was taking out every atrax that came my way—from Mature/Old up to Dominant and Alpha—and longus ranging from Young to Old, a very curious thing happened. Well, not so curious if you happen to have *my* avatar, but what transpired happened to be obvious enough and intriguing enough to clearly stick in my memory.

I shot an Atrax Provider. Within seconds, I noticed a global going to another avatar (no names now, I’ll just refer to him as “Avatar X”). No big deal, happens all the time. I continue hunting. 15 minutes later, I take down a Longu Old. Again literally within seconds, the same avatar scores a global on Longu Old! Okay, maybe it’s just a coincidence…a few minutes later, I kill an Atrax Guardian—and you guessed it, Avatar X gets another global, on the exact same mob—Atrax Guardian!

Since I haven’t seen a single other green dot on radar all evening, I’m finding this extremely odd. I move northeastward and into the area where big armaxes hang out, and after taking down an Armax Cow Guardian, our friend and neighbor Avatar X AGAIN globals—seconds later—on Armax Cow Guardian!!!

Well, at that point, I finally see a green dot on radar, and my curiosity at a high level, I move in to observe—and there he is, Avatar X…and from the looks of it, he sure wasn’t a killing machine, he wasn’t killing 3 mobs to my one mob (more like the other way around, actually).

But, this blog entry isn’t to be jealous of another hunter, no…it just constantly brings back to my mind my own theories on loot potential and the debate on whether loot has an avatar-based component or not…versus the old argument, “right time, right place”. How is it possible that this can happen? Obviously both avatars were moving about in a wide-ranging area. I was killing quite a bit more than Avatar X. And yet, for all of that, something completely illogical and statistically impossible occurs, and not 1—but FOUR—globals were awarded to a single, impossibly fortunate avatar, from the exact same mobs I was hunting, mere moments before!!!

It sure does make you wonder, doesn’t it?

Love this blog and love your writing style... I agree with you on "Avatar-based loot potential" in that I'm in same boat as you. Get this... I've been playing HARD for 3 years. I have 200hp, imp fap, angel, im2870, etc so I'm a fair hunter. I hunt pretty much only large mobs(falx, SEG, etc) and the best UL item I've ever looted was a Bear Foot (f) at +110 ped. In the maybe 100,000 huge mobs that is the singularly finest item I've ever looted.

The notion that somehow this is just bad luck is insulting.
T

I totally agree. The reason why the vast majority of players would disagree is because of just that--we're in the extreme minority. Yes, there are avatars with similar or higher skills than me with worse...err...luck, but I can count them on 2 hands, not including the thumbs. Thanks for your comment. I just wanted this blog to be publicly visible so people can see just the tip of the iceberg of what happens to a very small subset of avatars.

Back