Hmmm... not too sure about this

Wistrel

Elite
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Wistrel (Wisty) Chianti
ideasigmoviemaybetext.jpg

Well kicking off there's a random siggy type thing I was working on... not sure if it will go anywhere. Kinda another one of my daft Entropia movie concept thoughts really but figured it may make a nice start to things.

Anyhow blogs... :loco: Blogs!?!?!.... BLOGS?????!!! Ewwww! :scared:

I mean... its pretty much a dirty word for me but then again I was always something of a traditionalist and liked the simple diary section. Sure its nice and all and Neo's clearly gone to a lot of effort but I'm a firm believer in the, if it aint broke don't fix it mentality and there was nothing wrong with the diarys that I can see at all. :confused:

In fact, on first impressions we seem to have lost functionality as to start with, I'm having to type in tiny space that seriously needs to loose the 'smiley' and 'my pics' boxes from the right hand side so that we can at least string 10 words together on a line! Secondly, maybe its just me but I can't see how we can easilly tell who has updated their blogs like we could with the diaries or tell how popular/long they are. Before it was a simple case of heading over to the diaries page and having a quick scan. Now? I don't know and, sad to say, to be honest it all looks like a bit of a mess.

There is of course now, the comments thing which strangely people appear to like but it was actually something which was turned off previously and for good reason. Yes ok I realise that blog comments arn't quite the same as the sort of comments that would appear in a forum thread that is supposed to be for your diary so yes, from that point of view, its an improvement.

My diary was mine though, and as a traditionalist, I have to say I don't like the idea of people passing judgement on it in a semi "off to one side" kind of way. We have PM's, we have the reputation system, both of which have been used by people to say one thing or the other to me/about my diary so yes, step one was certainly to turn such things off as really I don't like that idea at all.

To be honest, I'm sure what I've said will annoy people and I accept that yes, I probably have missed the point of a blog. Thats fair enough and everyone is entitled to their opinions (you can even blog about them if you like - <shudder>) but somehow the idea of a blog just seems like an insult to the written word to me. A nasty subculture of trash, poorly written, spelled and without thought to readership or quality!

Still, I find myself now in the awkward situation where, to complain about blogs in a blog is an exercise of sheer hypocrasy... or stupidity. I'm not entirely sure which. It seems, however, that change without consultation is the name of the game with Entropia, and where as I used to think such practices were confined to the 4 virtual walls of Calypso it seems now that they reach outwards to its self established forum. Don't get me wrong, I really don't want to dis Neomaven as I know effort when I see it. However all I'm saying is that it would have been nice to have been asked or even have had the opportunity to voice suggestions as to how this new system was going to work. To have it thrust upon us and our previous diarys locked without notice, is the kind of thing I would have only expected from the likes of MA. This is no good thing.

Anyhow, on a more positive note it sounds like there may be some way in which our old diaries can be shifted over to the new system so will have to wait and see how everything looks if and when it shows up here.

As a final comment, this is cute:

:guide:

Wistrel

Back