is entropedia.info gameover?

Kimmi

Slayer
Kimmi Kimmi EFnet
har this site shutdown... or am I typing the wrong url ?

server down I'd say ...

I've been trying to get in there for a while now and all I get is "Service Unavailable" :(

its a crying shame. that site can read my mind. i browse it all the time, to look stuff up i've forgotten etc. but when i actually NEED it, it knows, and it doesn't let me in. pe wiki hasn't had the best history when it comes to reliability :/

It's down constantly the past few months. I'm sure it will be back once someone gets around to it.

I've been trying to get in there for a while now and all I get is "Service Unavailable" :(

Yeah, it went down at about 10 AM EST (3 PM GMT)... before that it was fine, after that "Service Unavailable"

EDIT: Back up now.

It's working fine for me.

An hour downtime ...just to update a free resource and make it better, what can they be thinking of? :rolleyes:

Maybe the host sucks and it wasn't an update...the solution if that's the case would be the donate button on the left side of the site below the menu, that would enable the FREE service we all use to upgrade and experience less problems.

Moaning about MA who we PAY, I have no problem with as it's a business, this site isn't charging anything though, nor is it a business...it's probably the most valuable source of info we have and Witte makes every effort to keep it current and user friendly despite all that info.

I wonder how many hours he is "down" when he could be doing something for himself instead? Maybe some adverts would pay, turn a little income and pay for great hosting?

t

An hour downtime ...just to update a free resource and make it better, what can they be thinking of? :rolleyes:

Maybe the host sucks and it wasn't an update...the solution if that's the case would be the donate button on the left side of the site below the menu, that would enable the FREE service we all use to upgrade and experience less problems.

Moaning about MA who we PAY, I have no problem with as it's a business, this site isn't charging anything though, nor is it a business...it's probably the most valuable source of info we have and Witte makes every effort to keep it current and user friendly despite all that info.

I wonder how many hours he is "down" when he could be doing something for himself instead? Maybe some adverts would pay, turn a little income and pay for great hosting?

t

Well said... you beat me to it and + rep... I have not had problems with entropedia and I find it is INVALUABLE as a resource. Please keep up the great work Witte.

t

I disagree with Rayne Jade before me and a "+rep" is far away in my book.

The only one moaning here, except this post, is you overreacting. In fact you can hardly call it overracting, because there was nothing to react upon like you did. I wonder if you even bothered to read the posts above? There were three or four posts confirming that the site is down atm (ie it's not just an isolated problem) and expressing how good the site actually is and what a shame it would be if such a great resource disappeared. Where in that did you find a lot of moaning? :rolleyes: (No, I'm not fishing for a reply here.)

And of course you're right that a donation to the site might help, and it's probably well deserved by Witte, but you can't give Witte all the credit even if he does deserve it the most as an individual. It's a wiki site, everyone's contributing and the big general thank you should go the the community who continually update the site.

Its indeed a hosting problem. I have been contacting my host about the issues lately, and they changed something about a week ago. The main issue seems to be solved. This particular problem however seems to be some sort of maintenance. It is not the same as the other issues. I have been thinking about switching host, but either they are expensive, or they dont offer the required bandwidth/storage/features. So for now I will stick with this host, unless I get an offer somewhere that fits all requirements.

witte i dont know what your looking for or what your requirements are but i connect often to ftp off of dreamhosts servers with great speed, i looks fairly cheep to me.

https://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

The link on the front page under "Community Links" for "PE-Wiki" was incorrect. 711 has updated it with the correct Entropedia link now.
I hope this helps out. Once in a while I do get the "oops...." message when looking something up.:)

How much is "too expensive" Witte?

Since we are a community, and as Konve rightly said this is a community resource...there must be a way to solve these issues as a group. Compared to the amounts of money we collectively spend ingame this is peanuts isn't it?

Assuming of course that you don't consider moving hosts too much of a pain in the ass. ;)

Maybe I did over react, but look at the thread title....after less than one hour downtime..game over :laugh:. It's a free site and obviously apart from a few updates not many of us donate or support it as far as hosting is concerned...I think we should do that rather than point out the problems.

It's a shame that ATM card isn't live yet ...we could all donate peds couldn't we?

t

entropiawiki.com would be a great site to have advertising for ingame businesses. Easiest way to get paid would be for payments to be made via peds ingame.

Another option would be for EU members to advertise their RL businesses on the site. In this instance by getting paid in peds within EU you can ensure only EU members businesses were listed. Who knows what businesses are out there, I do know that like me alot of players do have businesses in RL.

It would be great if I needed a Flash Developer for instance to find one via your site and then pay them in peds to avoid international money transfers. (I run a web development business and would certainly be keen to put an ad up). I'd also like to put an ad up for Missa's Beauty Salon at TI City (my RL wife). It would also make sense to work in with 711 to do joint advertising, so if someone purchases advertising on EF they can automatically get advertised on entropiawiki.com and visaversa.

Keen to hear what the community thinks of this idea, seems a better way of earning $$$ than asking for donations.

Cheers,

Dave Ozi

As i have mentioned before witte, we can host Pe WIKI, 711 or ND can too probably.. but i think your just in for protecting your precious data from us

Why wont you let us help you and the comminity out man, make the data open source and downloadable!

Too expensive would be about more then 10USD/month. There are several hosts that are cheaper than this, and also meet the required specs, however, how can I know these hosts are any good? I got an offer in PM, I will check that one out.

Specs needed are:

ASP.NET 2
Python
MySQL database with 500mb+ storage
Bandwidth at least 50GB/month, preferably more.

About ads, I am not realy a fan of those. I prefer to keep those off. But maybe I could make it such that donating people get the option to turn it off or something.

Last edited:
Maybe this helps you find a good host:
Internetten.nl voor een compleet internet advies! - Voor alle hosting en access providers!

Fairly good selection of (dutch) hosting providers, and quite some user reviews / comments on them.

Only one result came up. The review said:

Met grote regelmaat geven onze webshops en websites de melding ‘Service Unavailable’, waardoor wij voor onze klanten online onbereikbaar zijn. Daarnaast laden onze websites vaak onnodig lang. Naast irritatie veroorzaakt dit mogelijk omzetverlies.

Except for loss of turnover, this is about the same issue I have now. Maybe the problem is more ASP.NET related and is something that just happens on that kind of servers every now and then. In my case the problem seems to originate from the MySQL server, which becomes very slow at one moment. And sometimes it just gives the error "max_user_connections" while all connection slots are free.

Maybe I just need some expert advice how to solve these issues on my current host. I am not sure switching hosts will solve it at all.

Hi Witte,
About ads, I am not realy a fan of those. I prefer to keep those off.
I'm with you here :) Therefore, and for your great work, another +Rep!

I have seen something in a wiki ages ago that might be interesting - too bad those cute atrax have hitten my head too often recently in our sparring sessions, my long time memory has gone haywire - I cannot remember what or where it was ...

This wiki had separate sections for paid advertising, at the end of the "Sections" table. Thus the users would not be annoyed looking at flashy ads when browsing the wiki, but had an opportunity to check offered services of other community members.

I could think of ads for LA's there, or shops, or events, even of RL ads from EU participants. The "owner" would be able to keep their "bought adspace" up to date themselves.
Don't know though if your wiki software would allow to set privileges for single pages ...

Thanks for great work, and have fun!

witte i dont know what your looking for or what your requirements are but i connect often to ftp off of dreamhosts servers with great speed, i looks fairly cheep to me.

https://dreamhost.com/hosting.html

I will add in my recommendation for Dreamhost. I have been with them for several years for my personal sites, and currently have a bandwidth allowance of 6125 GB per month, all for just under $120 US per year. They have been solid and reliable for my needs.

+rep Witte for keeping it alive still brother.. sorry can't be more than rep tho

-rep for using MS Tech.. eww j/k :)

A small update, I just uploaded a new version of MySQL connector. This new version contains a function called "ClearPool", which seems to me to be the solution to the "max_user_connections" problem the site previously suffered. I made it so that whenever this error occurs the function "ClearPool" is called. I havnt solved the cause of the problem, but at least the site should stay up (if it realy works as I think it does).

edit: Fixed the issue caused by this update.

Last edited:
Hi,
-rep for using MS Tech..
I'd rather eat worms then use ASP.NET, too, but I'm sure Witte knows what he's doing. There are times when eating worms is a smaller evil, so I'm administrating a whole bunch of Win 2K/ 2K3 servers with heavy use of MS-SQL.

It's not what I'd like to do if I had the money to avoid, but I don't have - this jobs simply pay very well! So I have to eat worms, too. And sometimes, if cooked wisely, they don't taste this bad! Means, even evil MS servers using evil MS databases/ software sometimes can be suitable to reach a specific goal - depends on circumstances, may need some specific knowledge, and may, sometimes, be even better choice.

Guess most of us administrators/ developers very often have to eat this kind of worms, and are thus more familiar to it - I very well know how disgusting this may seem to an educated user!

Please take knowledge that life's not a honeymoon, and that eating worms is not an unknown experience to many professional ppl - we all would very much like to live according to the "true teaching", but it isn't always possible. Customer wishes or costs of service very often dictates the need of eating worms - praise yourself if you're able to avoid to do so!

And, as said, if cooked wisely, they don't smell this bad - my MS Win Servers don't have shorter uptimes then my Linux/ BSD servers, they just require another knowledge to be handled.

What doesn't mean that I'd not be happy if Witte would be able to switch to a reliable OpenSource Wiki, but my knowledge about data structures etc. is much too small to even allow to ask for it, IMHO.

Have fun!

Back