Beware Of Key Loggers

I met one of these people in game at Twin on the weekend. A large breasted avatar, claiming to be from Italy. She pm'd me and claimed that she wanted someone to give 30K peds to. She/he said she had a lot of money and wanted and experienced player to do all the shopping for her. She needed to see if she could trust me first of course. All I had to do was exit Entropia and chat with her on Yahoo messanger. I went along as far as adding this person to my contacts list, as soon as she/he logged on a file was sent, that was supposed to have been a "slide show" and "ooops, sorry if I'm a little bit naked" etc, etc.

I did not open the file and will be happy to report the avatar to MA.

Thanks for the warning

WOW.. nudie slide show...:yay:
what was the name of that avatar you said? :D
Good thing you didnt open it.. ppt is the plague of the internet.
"Death by Powerpoint"

In the course of repairing PCs i had to see why an online game for a young girl wasnt connecting.
The game was Endless Online, and when you log in you use the arrow keys to navigate an alphanumeric card.
If the starting point is random or the layout is random it would be very difficult for Keyloggers to pick up the password.

Very simple but effective.

i'll think the correct phrase to use are "Cracker" not hacker.
Technically, you're right, though I would say "cracking" is more limited to decompiling an EXE to bypass copy protection, specifically...i.e. re-coding a game or software EXE to remove the CD check, for example. Hacking would be doing that with the goal of gaining access to a system or network, not just the software program itself.

Since EU isn't technically copy-protected (in that it's a free download), cracking really isn't part of this discussion.

also, don't forget to brush your teeth, shower regularly, and feed the dog :rolleyes:

SH!T I didnt know my mom is playing EU too!!! LETS HUNT! also I need some juice money plz for lunch tomorrow...love ya mom! :)

Technically, you're right, though I would say "cracking" is more limited to decompiling an EXE to bypass copy protection, specifically...i.e. re-coding a game or software EXE to remove the CD check, for example. Hacking would be doing that with the goal of gaining access to a system or network, not just the software program itself.

Since EU isn't technically copy-protected (in that it's a free download), cracking really isn't part of this discussion.

Check out the Jargon File :
I have checked keyloggers / trojans and have traced it back to the origin / control servers. I know how to decompile programs and understand what they do. I can code my own tools and programs, and understand what a system is supposed to and not supposed to do normally. I have worked to reduce the problems faced by the average person accessing the internet or using the computer.

I am a hacker in the oldest sense of the word.
http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

Crackers are those who use the skills for reasons other then for the sake of knowing. (not ethical).
http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/cracker.html

And there are script kiddies.
They have no clue as to how to code. They download all these ready made tools and use it claiming it as their own, or only able to modify it slightly to claim as their own. For example the Sub-7 class of malicious programs have so many variations due to lots of script kiddies making slight modifications to the base code to call it their own.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/S/script-kiddies.html

Most of the so called "hackers" you meet now are script kiddies. A few are crackers.

Very few are the real hackers as it was meant originally when the word was first used.

Dear Mindark,

I have tried to be careful of this so called keylogger, and fortunatly, found many. However, how can I now send this to myself on MSN so you get the chance to use them?

Greetings,
Concerned.

Most of the so called "hackers" you meet now are script kiddies. A few are crackers.

Very few are the real hackers as it was meant originally when the word was first used.

Precisely, these kiddies are also "flooding" the net. And they want to be called hackers... lol

There are only a few real hackers in the World as "the-unknown" says...

Linus Torvalds (white hat), Kevin Mitnick (black hat) are some of them..

Check out the Jargon File :
I have checked keyloggers / trojans and have traced it back to the origin / control servers. I know how to decompile programs and understand what they do. I can code my own tools and programs, and understand what a system is supposed to and not supposed to do normally. I have worked to reduce the problems faced by the average person accessing the internet or using the computer.

I am a hacker in the oldest sense of the word.
http://catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

Crackers are those who use the skills for reasons other then for the sake of knowing. (not ethical).
http://catb.org/jargon/html/C/cracker.html

And there are script kiddies.
They have no clue as to how to code. They download all these ready made tools and use it claiming it as their own, or only able to modify it slightly to claim as their own. For example the Sub-7 class of malicious programs have so many variations due to lots of script kiddies making slight modifications to the base code to call it their own.
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/S/script-kiddies.html

I agree with most of what you said but your definitions aren't quite the "accepted" definitions as I meant them.

From The Urban Dictionary:

Cracking: Removing copyright protection from copyrighted software. Commonly used to obtain software without paying for it. Cracking is not by inserting a false or used serial number, but to insert other documents and files into the actual program to make it seem like it was registered by a paying customer, when it actually wasn't.

Hacking: Hacking is the gaining of access(wanted or unwanted) to a computer and viewing, copying, or creating data(leaving a trace) without the intention of destroying data or maliciously harming the computer.

What you said about hacking (good vs. bad) is true, "good" hacking is done by I.T. security enthusiasts all the time to find out where the holes in their systems are, in order to patch them up and protect from being compromised.

And well, what else can you say about s'kiddies? They're smut. They have no knowledge of the code they downloaded. They're the equivalent of a 15-year-old behind the wheel of a Ferrari F40. Sure, they can start it, but they have no respect whatsoever of the skill requirements and ramifications of what driving such a vehicle has.

In my experience, the majority of "real" hackers of the world aren't going to broadcast their knowledge publicly, they have their private forums and IRC channels and that's the only place you'll find them "bragging", so-to-speak. One of my friends is one of the best hackers I've ever met, and he never went about telling everyone he was a hacker. ;) It's nice to have such contacts, though. :eek:

Back