SSD data storage

Etopia

Bitchtropian
Society
The Incredibles
ETOPIA
Thats many year the whole computeur power change a lot.
Pross , ram , power , fan , Grapghic card and so on , but , HDD was still something with not much change.
They did improve yes , but not as much as the rest.
Now a new generation of data storage because its no more HDD just born.SSD.
It works like flash memorie from usb key , its very very fast, no mouvement , and seems very nice to use.
Access 0.1
transfert rate arouns 100 meg sec.

So around 10 time faster than all normal HDD...

Does anyone have test them ?

PS: sorry for mods , dunno where put this... maybe time to have a tecky forum?
I mean most of us may speak about tech here and there , and its compliant to EU ...

PS: sorry for mods , dunno where put this... maybe time to have a tecky forum?
I mean most of us may speak about tech here and there , and its compliant to EU ...

Like this one? ;)

no i see it like about tecniqual problem in EU.
Not about tecnical stuff in genral.
Semms to me to be more "my vid card dont work with EU" than " did someone tested that new storage" or "i love my new keybord"...

But maybe me dont understand....

Definately a techy thingy ;)

But with all that said, I have same questions as Etoopia here.

In near future I will need myself a new pc. Been playing this on labtop for too long, and it simply becomes too hot and shuts down/crashes on me.

So what should I go for next? Is all this new SSD worthy the money, or should we wait and ride off the worst hype??

Solid State drives are still very expenisve on a price/GB basis. but then you need to ask yourself if you really need 160GB, 250GB or more. stop and work it out and you might consider that 16GB is all you need for OS and a few key apps. How much is the performance really worth to you, a 16GB drive is over £200.

Technically they do in theory have a much shorter life span than a traditional magnetic hard drive, though your unlikly to ever reach the maximum read/write cycles.

Id hold back untill the technology has matured and become cheaper. unless you are on the bleeding edge everywhere else (best CPU, GPU, fastest memory etc) the improvements probably arent worth it.

I think there's no doubt SSD will eventually replace HDD, unless something newer and cheaper comes along. But yeah as usual, wait until the price drops a bit.

SSD disk have been around a long time. They were just way out of the price league for us normal people. They are starting to come down in price fast now.

Alienware has them already a few months as an optional upgrade for their PC's and laptops.

I so far only used it with a customer to place a database on it. This gave an approx 8 times better data throughput.

I am just waiting for the bigger ones to get a bit more cheap. There is a prediction that in 2 years time half the PC en laptops will be sold with SSD. And that 2 years later the normal HD's will be museum pieces.

Cheers
Siam

Ive sold a few of these and they are very impressive. As stated the technology isn't new its been around a very long time, its actually where AMD made most of their money before processors and now videocards.

It simply comes down to money. If you have a high disposable income go for it. Just be aware that prices will drop significantly over the next 6-12 months. 16GB versions are really quite reasonable at the moment and 40GB units are dropping fast. As an operating system drive their great, Especially with Vista. The performance increase with these drives coupled with Vistas new solid state driver developments make it a very viable option. You could even use it as a Ram booster if you so felt like it.

On reliability the are much better than current magnetic HDD's, The warranty rate over the past 36 months for the desktop brands I sell (WD, Seagate, Samsung, Hitachi) has been horrible. About 70% fail within or close to their warranty period which is up from about 20%. I think this can be explained by how cheap HDD's are now. I don;t think the price drop can only be to do with increased production, cuts must have been made elsewhere. Out of interest Hitachi seems to be the most reliable, the others have a very similar failure rate. Please remember these are not official stats they are just observations from my business.

As far as solid state for Laptops, there are great gains to be had here as they run much cooler, use less power and the obvious, no moving parts to break.

There have been advancements recently in magnetic drives as well lately but only down to how the data is written to the platter. This is however a big improvement to seek times and reliability,

I hope you find this useful.

OnTarget

The only real problem with solid state is the limited write cycles, the lowest I have seen is 10k, with most new devices being rated for at least 100k. At the low end of 10k, you could over-write the device once per day for almost 30 years. For 2gb (the largest I currently own) 10k writes would be around 20 terabytes.

While you would not want to put your pagefile on one, if your motherboard supports booting from it, you could put your OS there. Can also put EU there as the only time it would be re-written would be for VU updates.

No more people to share experiance about those storage ?

ive just found out today bout IDE to Compact Flash converters for about £12-15. so plug one of these jobbies in the motherboard, insert a 2/4/8GB Compact flash card and youve got a solid state drive for under £50.

I use a usb flash drive to transfer files to and from work, which is really my only solid state device. I used to have 3 flash drives, 2 died of old age and my last one went through 3 washing machine trips and still works perfectly :D That's more than I can say for the old floppy disks...

- Nightwolf

ive just found out today bout IDE to Compact Flash converters for about £12-15. so plug one of these jobbies in the motherboard, insert a 2/4/8GB Compact flash card and youve got a solid state drive for under £50.

Thats not such a bad idea at all ;)

DIY SSD Guide

excellent, hadnt looked for SATA. with IDE interfaces i found front loadable drive bay interfaces and also expansion slot paneled adapters, so scope to hot swap or at least cold swap your boot device.

most interesting in the link above, the comparison table at the top makes you wonder is SSD are all they are cracked up to be. seems the 7200RPM HDD was faster than a "performace" SSD for sequential reading (ie boot, particualrly from hibernate) and unless you do a lot of write operations (which you wont on a games machine) the performance isnt really worth the staggering loss of MB/$ value.

Someone did test it with EU ?
I really wonder if it is as great as it seems.

excellent, hadnt looked for SATA. with IDE interfaces i found front loadable drive bay interfaces and also expansion slot paneled adapters, so scope to hot swap or at least cold swap your boot device.

most interesting in the link above, the comparison table at the top makes you wonder is SSD are all they are cracked up to be. seems the 7200RPM HDD was faster than a "performace" SSD for sequential reading (ie boot, particualrly from hibernate) and unless you do a lot of write operations (which you wont on a games machine) the performance isnt really worth the staggering loss of MB/$ value.

As to my knowledge there are a few different types of ssd disks, i know atleast one of the ones i seen tests on boots your entire os in less than a second :p But yes they have some stuff that is not as good as a regular disk also.

I think there's no doubt SSD will eventually replace HDD, unless something newer and cheaper comes along. But yeah as usual, wait until the price drops a bit.

I thot this to until I saw the western digital veloceraptor hd, its the replacement for the fastest hd the raptor, performance blows SSD away!

SSD test nov 2007

Writing to and SSD is still one of the bigger performance issue's. But that is also improving faster then the normal HD. The issue is the normal HD technology is starting to come to the edges of how far it can be improved. While SSD is more or less still in the early stages and has a lot of space for improvement in both performance and size.

Cheers
Siam

SSD test nov 2007

Writing to and SSD is still one of the bigger performance issue's. But that is also improving faster then the normal HD. The issue is the normal HD technology is starting to come to the edges of how far it can be improved. While SSD is more or less still in the early stages and has a lot of space for improvement in both performance and size.

Cheers
Siam

yep so in other words put your os on the ssd disk and all progs, but then keep the scrathdisk on a regular fast disk and voila kickass speedbooting stuff :p

Someone did test it with EU ?
I really wonder if it is as great as it seems.

No it isn't as great as it seems. ;)
At least not at the moment. Most available SSD have a rather slow reading-throughput (around 40 MB/s). And writing is even slower.

There are some disks which have the speed you stated, but they are not on the market yet (at least not in europe). The main positives factors for using SSD are atm low-power consumtion and very fast data access, which is a big plus in databse servers e.g. Desktop Computer don't porfit that much from the faster access, cause most of the data is allready in memory or in the cache of the hdd. With 4Gb memory i can play EU, surf the web and run two virtual servers without haveing much stress (more like any stress) on my HDD.

SDD will be the future....but the future is not here yet :)

SSDs have certain advantages, but I doubt they are applicable if your primary use is EU / normal office work (including web browsing and email usage).

Mainly, they are better in terms of noise, and power usage.

Reading from SSDs are also pretty fast, writing to them ain't that bad either.

Only problem is that they are still new for the mass market (they have been around for years for the enterprise market) and so pretty expensive.

Knowing how fast new IT products drop in price, I will suggest waiting till end of the year before even considering an SSD drive (unless you really must have it now).

Furthermore, as a new product, I will suggest waiting some time to make sure all bugs are ironed out.

Personally, I am more concerned about storage capacity rather then speed / power usage. But that is cos of my workload (multimedia work / video editing / huge rendered images, etc + assorted scripting / programming).

Will probably be getting a couple more 500 GB drives soon (already using about 1.5 TB now) ...........

Bit of a necro bump here but thought it might be an idea to re visit this topic.

Prices are very reasonable now for decent sized SSD's.

Here is one available from overclockers in the UK for £123. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-013-OC

Stats are: -

- Capacity: 30GB
- Cache: 32MB
- Read: Up to 200MB/sec
- Write: Up to 160MB/sec
- NAND Flash: Multi-Level Cell (MLC)
- Interface: SATA-II

What gains do you think could be had for running EU on a machine based around this device. So that would be the OS (Probably XP) and the Mindark files installed on the drive.
Not really intrested in large data storage capacity for music or picture files as they can be stored on a network drive. The key aim here would be to have a machine that runs EU fast :)

Thoughts anyone? Does the game use much I/O when being played?

Benefit for EU, almost none.
Benefit for windows quite large. Vista far more than XP due to many innovations.

There are alot benchmarks etc on the web now showing gains for OS usage and high IO applications which eu is not.

Benefit for EU, almost none.
Benefit for windows quite large. Vista far more than XP due to many innovations.

There are alot benchmarks etc on the web now showing gains for OS usage and high IO applications which eu is not.

Having run Filemon on the background whilst playing EU I'm not so sure your statement is correct. It is constantly reading .wav and .bnt files.

Download Filemon from Sysinternals and have a peek for yourself.

Got my eyes on a 32Gb Samsung SLC model that I am going to install the OS and EU on to see the difference.

Regards,

Will

Having run Filemon on the background whilst playing EU I'm not so sure your statement is correct. It is constantly reading .wav and .bnt files.

Download Filemon from Sysinternals and have a peek for yourself.

Got my eyes on a 32Gb Samsung SLC model that I am going to install the OS and EU on to see the difference.

Regards,

Will

I would more recomand OCZ ssd drive ( some are build by samsung) or some Gskill, there is also intel who built some...
From what i read , the OCZ seems to be the best qualitie/price , they also make some that can be plug on PCIE port...

Back