Entropedia.info Official Thread

Hey Witte, there seems to be some sort of missinformation on the wiki, when you do a search for "T1", in healing tools listing it gives eco of 11.41 for Vivo T1.
And then when you Tools -> Healing Tools, eco of 9.98.
Also the heal/sec is different.

How's this? I would've thought they come from the same DB?

The eco value is not stored in the database but is calculated from average heal divided by decay at the moment the table is generated. I will investigate this as soon as the site is back up again.

Entropedia is currently down due to another database crash. This time a more recent backup is available so in case it is not possible to repair the database not much data will be lost. The cause of the problem seems to be a faulty HD, which may also have been the cause of the crash some weeks ago. The case is currently under investigation. Sorry for any inconvenience.

yup

a decent uptime would be good for this site :)

greetz

The cause of the problem seems to be a faulty HD, which may also have been the cause of the crash some weeks ago.
How 'bout a small fund-racer to get Witte a new hard-drive, anyone?
After all it's you users who broke it with massive load to the server with your visits! ;p

Entropedia Down ???

Is it just me or did entropedia change url or shut down or something..

Ive been trying for two days to open entropiawiki.com... but cant open page.

Maybe neomaven can fix since hes hosting....

Is it just me or did entropedia change url or shut down or something..

Ive been trying for two days to open entropiawiki.com... but cant open page.

Maybe neomaven can fix since hes hosting....

Please check the Entropedia.com official thread for such issues rather than creating a new thread, and you will see that Witte has already made a post about this issue:

Entropedia is currently down due to another database crash. This time a more recent backup is available so in case it is not possible to repair the database not much data will be lost. The cause of the problem seems to be a faulty HD, which may also have been the cause of the crash some weeks ago. The case is currently under investigation. Sorry for any inconvenience.

There is a database problem on the server, affecting both Entropedia and EntropiansIM.

I also posted about the issues in the Entropians.com forum:

Sorry for the downtime, there is a database problem on the server. (God I hate windows servers...)

Working on it now, hopefully fixed soon.

Apologies for the inconvenience, hopefully will be fixed soon.

We have database backups for wiki that are only a couple days old, so in the worst case we can restore from those, but first we are trying to recover normally.

Entropedia Down For Days...

Entropedia has been down for days now, is anyone working on getting that site back up?

What's the deal, does anyone know why the site hasn't been online for so long now?

I have been able to restore the Entropedia database from backup, the site is now available as a reference to entropians.

Witte and I will work on a more permanent and stable solution so that these MySQL database problems (which have happened twice now in less than a month) do not continue.

MySQL and Windows do not play very nicely together unfortunately, so we are hoping to move the wiki database over to my dedicated Linux DB server (the same one that powers the EF database), and once and for all eradicate any downtimes. This poses a few complications due to differences in the way .NET communicates with MySQL databases hosted on Windoze and Unix environments, but we hope to tackle those.

Thanks for your patience during the downtime.

I managed to get the site working with the Linux database, but since it is on a different system it has a huge impact on the speed of the site. For now I have disabled editing untill a final solution is found. My hope is that we can fix the issues with the windows machine.

thanks for keeping the #1 information website up and going i rely on it heavily.

I dont know if they are keeping it up... When i try to use entropedia, nothing opens, just blank page with "Service Unavailable" written.

Currently busy with maintenance. It should be done within an hour and the site should be fully operational again.

Ok everything should work fine again. For some reason the InnoDB tables got corrupted and lost, while the MyISAM tables seemed unaffected. So the database storage engine for all tables is now changed from InnoDB to MyISAM. I hope the problems will be solved now. Thanks for the support everyone.

seems to work , thanks you :)

I just want to say thanks for pe-wiki, im using it from begining :)

Added some features to Weapons vs. Armor in the Weaponchart

I tried adding an item i ran across and wasn't on the site but everytime i click Add item:

Field 'Name' doesn't have a default value

While i filled in all possible fields

I tried adding an item i ran across and wasn't on the site but everytime i click Add item:

Field 'Name' doesn't have a default value

While i filled in all possible fields

What chart?

Some more updates:

Updated the general layout of the charts. There are now some AJAX controls added. Also added the section Tools, as replacement of link to WikiTools. Wikitools will be rewritten somewhere in the future.

But now you've got two 'Tools' links on the menu, because 'Tools' is already used for FAPs, chips etc.

Maybe change the new one to 'Applications'? :scratch2:

And what is AJAX?

But now you've got two 'Tools' links on the menu, because 'Tools' is already used for FAPs, chips etc.

Maybe change the new one to 'Applications'? :scratch2:

And what is AJAX?

Yeh I was hoping nobody would notice :D. I will considder your suggestion.

AJAX basically are interactive webcontrols, see for example: http://www.asp.net/ajax/ajaxcontroltoolkit/samples/. On Entropedia you can hide sections (tools, settings, filters) in the chart by clicking on them.

And what is AJAX?

AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) is a functionality enhancement technology that allows updating of information on webpages (often times in response to user interaction) via background database queries, removing the need for full page refreshes or reloads.

EF uses many AJAX features as well, though you may not be aware of them. For example, when you begin typing a member name in the search form, it will automatically present a matching list of member names from the database as you type some letters. Also, if you click "Edit" on one of your posts, you will notice that the page does not reload, but simply changes to an edit box in your post.

AJAX pretty much results in a more efficient and enjoyable web browsing experience for end users, and results in lower demands on server resources and bandwidth.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) is a functionality enhancement technology that allows updating of information on webpages (often times in response to user interaction) via background database queries, removing the need for full page refreshes or reloads.

EF uses many AJAX features as well, though you may not be aware of them. For example, when you begin typing a member name in the search form, it will automatically present a matching list of member names from the database as you type some letters. Also, if you click "Edit" on one of your posts, you will notice that the page does not reload, but simply changes to an edit box in your post.

AJAX pretty much results in a more efficient and enjoyable web browsing experience for end users, and results in lower demands on server resources and bandwidth.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajax_(programming)

Thanks for the info.

I guess it's one of those things where it doesn't really matter to me what it is, but it's good that it's there :D

Back