"Entropia Universe is Dynamic ;-)"

Status

Sirhc

Elite
Society
Defiance
Sirhc Xerogs Drakcah
Entropia Universe is dynamic. ,-)

We hear that quite a bit when we ask specific questions about Entropia Universe. I was doing a little searching on the web today and it got me to thinking about the word dynamic and all its meanings. I found some interesting articles and definitions of the word.

Here are the links:

Wiki - Dynamical Systems

Applying game dynamics to virtual worlds

Definition

I need to give the above articles some thought before I post my thoughts, but I am really curious about what others think.

So how do you think "Dynamic" applies to Entropia Universe?

Feel free to add any links to your post for references so everyone can explore the options and make their own call.

Thanks for participating.

money comes into my pockets, money goes out from there, sometimes even faster than it got there

thats dynamics of EU :D

We hear that quite a bit when we ask specific questions about Entropia Universe. I was doing a little searching on the web today and it got me to thinking about the word dynamic and all its meanings. I found some interesting articles and definitions of the word.

Here are the links:

Wiki - Dynamical Systems

Applying game dynamics to virtual worlds

Definition

I need to give the above articles some thought before I post my thoughts, but I am really curious about what others think.

So how do you think "Dynamic" applies to Entropia Universe?

Feel free to add any links to your post for references so everyone can explore the options and make their own call.

Thanks for participating.

oh thanks for this, gonna read them. :D

We got a course at our university about stuff like this, selflearning stuff and such similar to this i guess, i'm not sure i will be able to take it though as i think it's to hard for me :p

ohhh goddie. must subscribe! :D

Dynamic is as Dynamic does!! :D Or in another words you win some, you lose some..... or LOTS!! :broke: As it relates to Entropia..... A complex set of rules that alows the system to change.... Not to be confused with the term "RANDOM".... There two different creatures altogether!!! :loco: Can also be used to manipulate, or to control a population without there knowabouts!!! Men are always asked why we do the things we do!!!! Reply..... I'm dynamic!!! When women do these things.... the answer we get...... because your dynamic!!! :eek: :laugh:

Great post... will keep an eye on it!!! :yay:

'Dynamic' as it is used for EU, to me, means "the rules of the universe can be changed at any time"

more or less i see it as an MA cop out to do whatever they want and not even have to explain the reasoning or thought process behind the change :)

ohhh goddie. must subscribe! :D

ohhh goodie :D, must learn to use "subscribe" thread tool instead of wasting space! :p

article 1:

ok, the link on dynamic systems is too math-heavy for me. i can't really read it, sry.
but i think i can 'imagine' what a dynamic system is.

as an engineer (well, not a mathematician though) i know quite well the idea of feedback.

so in my opinion, dynamic games are built with lots of 'feedback-loops' in it.
this means, the output on a certain point of the system influences the input of the system (it is fed back).
in this way you can achive stabilization, destabilization and oscilation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feedback

feedbackloops usually have to be carefully adjusted to work, a little to much or too less can cause the system to break.

in EU i think we have some feedback-loops, mainly the kind that causes oscillation. i'm not sure though, noone can know if this oscilations are really 'dynamic' or manually set (or coded if you want).

---

article 2:

well, imo, this article describes best what i would refer to as a fully STATIC game.
it is the classical theory of game-dynamics though, but game-dynamics in that context means '(player)movement/development within the game' imo.

---

article 3:

well, what can i say on a definition..

---

my opinion:

'EU is dynamic' is a punchline used by MA and i think they done a good job with choosing this line. it implies many meanings to the costumers:

expect to see changes (gamer thinks on upgrades)
expect to see fluctuation (gamer doesn't chicken out when something seems to go wrong)
don't expect us to explain anything (gamer takes things he just cannot understand as part of the game)
'EU is dynamic' (it just sounds sooo cool, not even ND could phrase it better)

i personally don't think that 'EU is dynamic' has to do anything with how the blackbox works. the phrase is rather a very good packaging for.. well almost anything..

cu, HOF HOF!!

Dynamic means anything can happen but we are not telling and here is a good one word excuse to get you off our back. Kind of like Dick Cheneys known knowns and known unknowns. Staying vague is staying safe.

The math is hurting my head... but, if I could get my head around what is said, then, if EU is a 'dynamic (system)' universe, in terms of math definition, then we have something to base a way to 'break the system.'

Oddly enough tho, thanks for the links, I found something else very useful in those links that linked me to something else, to something else, which I'm now reading, and will start a post on in a bit :D

~Red

I rather prefer:

"Entropia Universe is Deterministic ;-)"

If I were to model this I would start with a data model that allowed a significant number of attributes to be modified - some manually, some dynamically (this has been hinted to in the Q&A from the balancing manager). Allow X TT of CB19(L)s in circulation/per Y active participants is an example of a fixed value, return X% of input into the system to loot in this area is an example of a dynamic value.

The dynamic values do move in a pseudo-random fashion, giving the "dynamic" universe, but, unfortunately there is a constant ticking in the background. Hence the rather deterministic nature of the Universe.

Not wishing to get into religon, it all rather depends on your belief in a creation or an evolution. Unfortunately our virtual universe was most definitely created (rather intelligently I must say), and as such we must all bow down to our god, whose name is whichever randomization code MA chose :)

Fortunately RL is dynamic ;)

dy·nam·ic (d-nmk)
adj. also dy·nam·i·cal (--kl)
a. Of or relating to energy or to objects in motion.
b. Of or relating to the study of dynamics.
2. Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic market.
3. Marked by intensity and vigor; forceful. See Synonyms at active.
4. Of or relating to variation of intensity, as in musical sound.
n.
1. An interactive system or process, especially one involving competing or conflicting forces: "the story of a malign dynamic between white prejudice and black autonomy" Edmund S. Morgan.
2. A force, especially political, social, or psychological: the main dynamic behind the revolution.

I found this at The Free Dictionary. The bold text is actually quite interesting. EU is an interactive system which involve competing(players) or conflicting forces. Since I have been here PE/EU has had continual change and continues to change.

From my own perspective I have seen EU evolve into a system where all professions and most actual activity in EU benefit other users. I think MA throws around the term "dynamic" because its a closer fit to what EU has become. The term "balancing" always threw me off of bit but somehow when I read all these articles EU being dynamic makes more sense or at least I understand why its repeated so often.

Our market in EU is dynamic for sure. Our avatars? well if you think about it no two avies are exactly alike once they start performing skill based activities in EU. It seems we all get different results and have differing theories not only from each of us being dynamic and unique in real life but just as dynamic and unique in the virtual one as well.

Ahhhh I like that Feedback Loop article. It pretty much sums up how I participate and have participated in PE/EU. I can remember getting some really great loot and depositing like a madman trying to gain more skill to use items better to get better loot. Then when loot dried up I played less and more frugal. Reminds me of all my posts about "Risk VS Reward", "action <-> reaction", and "tangible results = happy players which = happy depositors"

Hmmmmm :scratch: its all interesting and I need to give it more thought. I am also going to start keeping a more detailed log adding in such things as my mood compared to the positive and negative aspects of feedback I get from EU.

Thanks again for all the posts and information its greatly appreciated. :wtg:

Aside from the obvious ("dynamic" meaning that it is not a fixed system with a given set of rules), I believe they intend it to mean that even they do not "script" the entire range of experiences within the environment, we script it as players to some extent.

I would compare and contrast this with WoW, where the "rules" are more or less fixed, the environment is more or less static, and although they introduce some variables, the variables themselves are based on rigid behaviors. In EU, these operational aspects are "managed" rather than "coded", and this difference is where the term dynamic is most relevant, in my opinion anyway.

Things like social interaction and economic stimulis are not as rule based so much as they are behavior based, and managed/balanced (rather than coded) to provide an environment that encourages continued interest.

Note: the definition of "continued interest" above is intended to represent a corporate perspective rather than any individual player perspective, and they are only marginally aligned. (Extra points if you catch the pun)

Last edited:
I found this at The Free Dictionary. The bold text is actually quite interesting. EU is an interactive system which involve competing(players) or conflicting forces. Since I have been here PE/EU has had continual change and continues to change.

From my own perspective I have seen EU evolve into a system where all professions and most actual activity in EU benefit other users. I think MA throws around the term "dynamic" because its a closer fit to what EU has become. The term "balancing" always threw me off of bit but somehow when I read all these articles EU being dynamic makes more sense or at least I understand why its repeated so often.

Our market in EU is dynamic for sure. Our avatars? well if you think about it no two avies are exactly alike once they start performing skill based activities in EU. It seems we all get different results and have differing theories not only from each of us being dynamic and unique in real life but just as dynamic and unique in the virtual one as well.

Ahhhh I like that Feedback Loop article. It pretty much sums up how I participate and have participated in PE/EU. I can remember getting some really great loot and depositing like a madman trying to gain more skill to use items better to get better loot. Then when loot dried up I played less and more frugal. Reminds me of all my posts about "Risk VS Reward", "action <-> reaction", and "tangible results = happy players which = happy depositors"

Hmmmmm :scratch: its all interesting and I need to give it more thought. I am also going to start keeping a more detailed log adding in such things as my mood compared to the positive and negative aspects of feedback I get from EU.

Thanks again for all the posts and information its greatly appreciated. :wtg:

I would love to read this log when your done..... :D

I belive eu to be built by using dynamical system as spoken about and then toss in some feedback stuff and also a bit of entropy and shake it all around and voila out comes EU. :D

Its not a word its an acronym...

See signature below.

EU dynamics is a little bit different from what normal ppl understand when they hear the word "dynamic". I try to put EU dynamics in one sentence:

EU dynamics means that, what we (players) asked yesterday and they (MA) promised today to implement it, they (MA) don't (have to) do it tomorrow (or before v22.47893.345.76).

Economic thermodynamics..

Wow now this is an old thread, but a goodie

Has anyone managed to plot a lorenz attractor for eu yet ?

Still working on it - got stuck at the beginning as maths is not my strong point :)

The model is a system of three ordinary differential equations now known as the Lorenz equations:

\begin{align} \frac{\mathrm{d}x}{\mathrm{d}t} &= \sigma (y - x), \\ \frac{\mathrm{d}y}{\mathrm{d}t} &= x (\rho - z) - y, \\ \frac{\mathrm{d}z}{\mathrm{d}t} &= x y - \beta z. \end{align}

Here x, y, and z make up the system state, t is time, and \sigma, \rho, \beta are the system parameters. The Lorenz equations also arise in simplified models for lasers,[2] dynamos,[3] thermosyphons,[4] brushless DC motors,[5] electric circuits,[6] chemical reactions[7] and forward osmosis.[8]

From a technical standpoint, the Lorenz system is nonlinear, three-dimensional and deterministic. The Lorenz equations have been the subject of at least one book-length study.[9]

:locked:

Forum Rule 3.5 - Necroposting
Pointlessly bumping of dormant, inactive threads causes confusion for other members and visitors who may not notice the original thread post date. A thread is considered inactive if there have been no replies in the last four (4) months. Posting in an inactive thread is strongly discouraged, unless there is a very good reason for reactivating the thread. If you feel an issue or topic from an inactive thread deserves renewed discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum or subforum.

Status
Back