Account Lockdown Information

Status
The NAMES, give us the NAMES so we can point our fingers!!!

It is NOT paynovas system which delivers the PEDs to your avatars card, that is MA's system. Paynova deliver cash to MindArks account. Anyhow, I wrote Paynova this afternoon asking about where the issue is. I'd been a paynova user since early 2004 with an extensive deposit history, and if it proves to be an issue in paynovas system I will no longer use that service. When I get a solid written answer I will let you know.

It is however PayNova's System which verifies the transaction (At least I would hope it does) If Paynova leaves verification up to another party they are fools. The way these transactions work (At least the ones I have setup on websites of my own) is the button is clicked and it transmits account info to the site of the financial institution (Paypal, Mastercard, Visa, Etc.) the transaction is verified and then the code for an approved transaction is sent back to the retail site and the transaction is completed.

In all the times I setup such transaction sites the parties responsible for transacting the money checked the interface several times and periodically checked after the site was up and running.

Dex :cool:

I'd really like to know who those "former participants" are.

Yes, a public lynching would be nice, but I'd be shocked if we got the (avatar) names.

It is however PayNova's System which verifies the transaction (At least I would hope it does) If Paynova leaves verification up to another party they are fools. The way these transactions work (At least the ones I have setup on websites of my own) is the button is clicked and it transmits account info to the site of the financial institution (Paypal, Mastercard, Visa, Etc.) the transaction is verified and then the code for an approved transaction is sent back to the retail site and the transaction is completed.

In all the times I setup such transaction sites the parties responsible for transacting the money checked the interface several times and periodically checked after the site was up and running.

I dont know who is suposed to verify what , what i know is MA dont trust them self verification anymore :

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mindark-news/114145-credit-card-activation.html

Yes, a public lynching would be nice, but I'd be shocked if we got the (avatar) names.

Yet we dont know name of bot user...So people that directly show a bug in the credit card system ... lol
We wont know anything for sure ... sadly.

As soon as the situation was verified, logs and transaction records were quickly analyzed using advanced tools developed by MindArk for this purpose, and the initial exploiters' accounts where locked, as well as those that had any association with the illegal PED.

Got a sneek-peek of those advanced tools...

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

It was a hypothesis. Sometimes partnering companys blame each other. Maybe you are not familiar with it since before, but I have seen it many times. I do how ever highly doubt that Paynova's security would be that bad. In my ears it sounds like MA's system let in the peds prior to the payment was recieved. It even says so in the info on MA's site. How is THAT Paynova's glitch? :laugh:

How do you figure this out :scratch2:

Why would MA credit any Ava with peds unless Paynova told them to?

To me this says that Paynova told MA to credit AvaXXX with xxx peds when Paynova itself had not received the funds or Paynova had recieved the funds but perhaps from a fraudulent source.

Yet we dont know name of bot user...So people that directly show a bug in the credit card system ... lol
We wont know anything for sure ... sadly.

Actually, I'm really hoping MA can prosecute these people IRL.

A largish number of Internet sites do exactly the same sort of Credit Card Verification.

Its just a bit more Account Security.

This post mean people will have to verify again.
MA do verification since many year...
But it seems like MA did "erase" many of "verified" and put them back to "unverified" and ask player to "verify" again.
I did not post a ramdom link to look fun , go read , and you will understand what i mean.

We need a jailhouse in one of the rustic-style areas, complete with tavern and sherrif's office. The temp-banned avatars can be confined to the "jail" and the banned avatars can have a tombstone on "Boot Hill" cemetary with their crimes on the tombstones.

Not the first time this has been suggested, but i think it would go a long ways toward promoting "civil obedience".

Oh, and make the area PvP so we can have gunfights. :)

See MA, a storyline :rolleyes:

I think MA did the right thing and i was suprised how fast those innocent people were unlocked, thumbs up for MA

Guess we'll have to sit back and wait for further comments from Ma on this, or can be the other way and this info will die here,no more info,plain and simple..

But it seems like MA did "erase" many of "verified" and put them back to "unverified" and ask player to "verify" again.
I did not post a ramdom link to look fun , go read , and you will understand what i mean.

Yep and as I said a Largish number of sites do the same thing. For instance I have to reverify any Credit Cards associated with my Stock Brokerage accounts each year and whenever I am issued a new card.

MA is doing nothing out of the ordinary when compared to other financial sites and alluding to some nefarious deeds on MA's part is baseless speculation.

Would you feel better if MA DIDN'T verify credit card accounts?

Yep and as I said a Largish number of sites do the same thing. For instance I have to reverify any Credit Cards associated with my Stock Brokerage accounts each year and whenever I am issued a new card.

MA is doing nothing out of the ordinary when compared to other financial sites and alluding to some nefarious deeds on MA's part is baseless speculation.

Would you feel better if MA DIDN'T verify credit card accounts?

Kinda normal to verify new card , no ?
And verify evry years , even if its the same card seems a bit dumb but well , i assume it come with an anniversary , like , evry year at your registration date , or at the day you registred the card ...
I dont think any site do erase all their clien card same day , and ask for verification at ramdom date for the fun...
But i am maybe a bit stupid when it come to credit card.
Imho if MA do this now , and specialy since they anounced som card fraud problem , i assume there is som relation...and they prefer do again the process to avoid problem with other card that may be frauduled too...

Now if you think , all those action have no relation at all , and are plain total coincidence...up to you , i really dont carre , but i can tell you som day , the wake up will have som very bad feeling for you.

Kinda normal to verify new card , no ?
And verify evry years , even if its the same card seems a bit dumb but well , i assume it come with an anniversary , like , evry year at your registration date , or at the day you registred the card ...
I dont think any site do erase all their clien card same day , and ask for verification at ramdom date for the fun...
But i am maybe a bit stupid when it come to credit card.
Imho if MA do this now , and specialy since they anounced som card fraud problem , i assume there is som relation...and they prefer do again the process to avoid problem with other card that may be frauduled too...

Now if you think , all those action have no relation at all , and are plain total coincidence...up to you , i really dont carre , but i can tell you som day , the wake up will have som very bad feeling for you.

My Credit card is activated and has been for a few months I have not been asked to re-activate it. I just checked and it is still activated so I would guess you have some bad info being that not ALL have been asked to re-activate.

When I make a Depo i do it "In good faith."
I trust in MA to give me the peds I paid for, and I also trust them to take from my bank the appropriate sum.
I never check to make sure the "appropriate sum" has been taken. It's their job to make sure they got it.
If I realised it had not been taken, I would not then run to the "Depo terminal" and depo shed-loads more, as I could not afford it when the transactions showed up x hours later, and made me skint in RL, overdrawn, and hit with host of bank charges.

There must be "responsibilities" somewhere in the equation <My bank-Paynova-MA's bank>
MA must have some responsibility to make sure they have received payment from Paynova before they pass it on to my AVI.
Paynova must have some responsibility to make sure they have received payment from me before they pass it on to MA.
Where in this chain someone did not do their job, but told the next in the chain OK! is anyone's guess.

OF course, if I realise I am getting peds, but not losing money from my bank, I have responsibility to report it, not exploit it.

bah, i dont play for a couple of weeks and i miss all the drama :D lol

seems a few players have been subjected to some trauma thru no fault of thiers... thats pretty harsh imo. having said that its nice to finaly see a public statement. i guess it would be foolish to hope for other statements we were promised, eg.bot hunters

tbh i have kinda mixed feelings, one side of me is happy to see ma making a statement, the other side finds it awfully suspicious that paynova had a fault at exactly the same time as a vu... and a vu thats created many many other problems.... i guess thats just me being cynical... still a shame that so many players lost gaming time due to errors that should never have happened to begin with

Good of MA to post something on this, especially as such high profile players have been involved - grats to those unlocked, and may the guilty burn in WoW.;)

It might be that they erased all PAYNOVA accounts and PAYNOVA linked credit cards but they certainly have not erased ALL card verifications. I do not use Paynova services and they have NOT erased my card activation/verification. I just checked this upon reading this post and everything is fine-No RE-Verification is needed for me.

If it is true that all people with a PAYNOVA account or credit cards linked through Paynova has had the verification revoked it could be that Paynova has initiated this and not MA or MA has requested/required this from Paynova customers as an added step of security. MA might just be the messenger here as I am sure the two companies are working together at this point to see what went wrong and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Sure, being locked is nothing pleasant. I suppose every player would be pissed of because of such thing. But MA reaction and resolving this problem was relatively fast regarding the circumstances. Personally I think MA could be more strict in more cases they normally do not take any actions with (scammers, account hacking and so on). In cases that cost participants their peds.
I'm not suprised that they did not reveal all details in the beginning. Probably they did not had all informations yet, this is first. Second, when you try to catch a criminal, you do not post all details of investigation in local newspaper. I think their way of solving this problem was quite fast and good.
And yes, communication still needs improvements and I hope it will be improved in the future, but don't expect a revolution. They are heading in good direction, let's hope they will stay on this way.

From my time working IN Fraud/Transactions and Authorisations for Capital One, i would expect paynova ot be liable and MA to have chargeback rights on them for the loss if it is indeed a Paynova bug.

Normal process fo chargeback is:

Bank/Card/Cash source pays the merchant based on th trasnaction info given... if transactions dodgy, the Bank/Card/Cash source has chargeback rights on the merchant.

Its technically upto the merchant company to confirm the details are correct as the payments made ona semi "as faith" basis that the info's correct.

But if its a software bug by Paynova then technically the chargebacks reversed dpeending on license agreement and paynova should pay MA for any lossess

+Rep for MA tho on swift and decisive action.

Would be nice to have names tho.... surely someones noticed a missing socmate :D

ah Paynova ;) well ur are forgiven

I think those of you expecting to learn names will be disappointed.

If this scam was organised properly, the money will have come in via new avatars with false addresses, and using false card details.

It is at the point when the money would have left EU that Mindark would have had a chance of identifying the recipient.

The question is, did Mindark freeze everything whilst the money was still in the hands of intermediate, anonymous avatars; did they act too quickly to be able to get identification of the culprits?

From what I've heard, items were bought for these money. Means probably that exploiters just decided to catch the occasion to upgrade themselves. From all informations we received it looks rather like using an exploit than attack planned before...

Second time in a short time period MA communicates correctly.
Gratz to that, your finally getting it right, the communication that is :)

I think those of you expecting to learn names will be disappointed.

If this scam was organised properly, the money will have come in via new avatars with false addresses, and using false card details.

It is at the point when the money would have left EU that Mindark would have had a chance of identifying the recipient.

The question is, did Mindark freeze everything whilst the money was still in the hands of intermediate, anonymous avatars; did they act too quickly to be able to get identification of the culprits?

If the people who tried to exploit were dumb enough to use c/cards and bank accounts via paynova that are in the same name, and then think they can trick MindArk by transferring the items to their main avatar.... hahahahha More loot for us. From what i know from using paynova (i stopped after i realised I was losing 16% in transfer fees :O) the card needs to be verified first. If they used fake addresses/cards/fraud - then they lied to paynova, and they will need some garcen.

Some people are true dumbasses and I thank them for their ped.

Re: names. We will find out in time. Some people knew instantly who the banned players were for using bot software in 2006.

Waiting for those high end items to end up back in the loot pool :wtg:

Status
Back