The Metaverse Tribune

Runeswan

Young
Society
Freelancer
Runeswan Runes Ceawlin
Hello Entropians,

I am the Editor in Chief of the Metaverse Tribune and I wanted to take a moment to reach out to the residents of EU. The Tribune covers news and entertainment of virtual worlds.

The Tribune is an example of the next generation of media – the virtual media for the virtual worlds. Apart from the usual blend of entertainment news, technology, the arts and off-beat items, the Metaverse Tribune will also feature regular contributions from correspondents in virtual worlds, including *edited out to meet forum rules*. The Tribune is scheduled for launch on August 1st, 2008.

Seeking Freelancers
At this time, I am seeking correspondents from Entropia who are interested in submitting single time or periodic submissions about EU. We also have a blogosphere section where we will include entries that are in the blog style of writing.

Yes, we pay our freelancers; some of them do volunteer because we link to their sites or they just enjoy writing and like to see their name in print. Currently, the majority of my freelancers come from another vw. Payment is made in that world's currency for them. However, I do have an avatar in Entropia and as soon as I figure out how to do things other than get attacked by mutant looking rodents, :ahh: I’ll look into a payment system for those residents who are only in Entropia. We only pay on first time prints. We do republish previously written materials, but those are not paid.

Advertising Opportunity
Currently we are offering a complimentary advertising program to businesses, websites, and service providers of virtual worlds. No contracts. No obligations. No payments. All you have to do is email me the image and tell me where you want the click throughs to go. Your ad will run on the Metaverse-Tribune website through August 31st, 2008.

Virtual Gallery
We also seek images, designs, and art from residents of virtual worlds to share in our gallery. If you have any images you would like to share, your avatar name, the location of the image (or where the object can be found) and any description you’d like included will be posted. Gallery submissions are unpaid.

I don’t believe I can include any emails or web urls yet, as I’m a forum poster noob… but you can certainly PM directly for more information.

Runeswan Ceawlin
The Metaverse Tribune
Editor in Chief

Last edited:
am i the only one who doesn`t know metaverse tribune yet? otherwise a link would be cool... :)

Hello Xerox,

I doubt many know the Tribune yet, as it hasn't launched yet :)

The first time I tried to post it got captured by the spam police. The system said I couldn't post with links (urls or email) until I had five posts. So, let me try this:

Website
www dot metaverse-tribune dot com

Email
editor at metaverse-tribune dot com

Hope that helps.

Hi Runeswan - Welcome to EU.

This is an interesting idea with a lot of potential. I hope you find some talented writers -- might be interested in trying an article myself.

I also have an avatar in that other life (that we aren't supposed to mention in this forum) and I am interested in seeing how many players are active in both.

You will find that this forum is an excellent place for information.

To learn more and experience EU first hand, I suggest that you find a mentor and join a society. Please send me a PM if you would like to chat a little more.

Have fun here.

Dane

Hello,

I am interested in getting connected with you. I run a RL business and have several EU business affiliates that cross-advertise with me.

I will contact you thru your website.

:)
darri

I look forward to seeing this publication / website come to fruition. I always enjoy reading others views and opinions about other games / EU.

Anyhow, I would be happy to take you on as a disciple and offer you the benefit of my 3 years in entropia, along with my tales of fortune and woe in EU. ( :D )

I am GMT timezone (being based in the UK) so if you are interested, let me know.

And gl with the Metaverse Tribune, it sounds very interesting...

Well, let me say first, thank you to the warm welcomes and pleasant posts. You guys are making me feel very welcome and much more interested in playing in Entropia... I mean, in RL most activities that result in sweating are fun, so why not in EU too! hehehhe

I've been reading a fantastic getting started guide by Alice in Wonderland, it's extremely helpful to me.

I tend to have lots of questions so I'll probably look for a mentor who doesn't mind me pestering them from time to time :) Though, I do like to explore on foot for a while when I first enter a game or virtual world, so wouldn't want any tp runs until I'd died a few times going somewhere that just wasn't safe :D

I'm in the Central time zone in the USA and tend to be online from 3Pacific/5 Central till about 11pm CT every day and then all day long on the weekends, so I'm happy to connect with anyone who would like to chat or get to know more about the Tribune. I've only got about half a dozen ways people can track me down. :wtg:

These forums have a LOT of information. A tad overwhelming at first glance but definitely interesting. So thank you all and I look forward to getting to know more about EU!

I would also like to make sure you know that there are other EU forums that are also worth visiting. EU is the most popular (and some would say the best), but other EU forums have very interesting information (if you filter through the dross) that you may not find here for various reasons...

Remember, a pessamist (realist) can never be dissapointed so go into this game with your eyes wide open, and expect to 'pay' for your entertainment in one way or another.. (time, ergo sweating; cash via depositing etc etc).

Slightly off topic I know, but I feel it is important not to rely on one source of information to gain knowledge about EU...

First off, big welcome to Entropia!

Sounds like a great plan you have there, and I might be tempted to submit an article from time to time.

Being a noob myself (been in game about 7 weeks or so), I understand the desire to explore on your own. I think I died about 40 or 50 times my first day. Luckily, I stumbled upon a great person who showed me about, and became my mentor.

If you are looking for a mentor, find one soon... if you get more than 20 skill points in any mentorship area, you can no longer have an official mentor, although there are many helpful players who would be happy to give you advice.

Again, welcome to Entropia, and I look forward to seeing the publication.

*goes back to forum lurking*

Nutter, thank you for the advice. I've already signed up on at least one other Entropia forum and was looking at some other sites that seem focused on Entropia. I like to do thorough research when time allows me to do so. I first started my online "gaming" or virtual world experience back in '95 when I'd telnet into MUDs... hehe, I think that was the last time I ever got involved with one that didn't cost me cold hard real cash.

Let's just say that virtual worlds and online environments are my passion and hobby... and I have a shopping addiction that I get to vigorously enjoy in virtual worlds :) and it's so much cheaper than a trip to the real mall!

Coz, thanks for the welcome also :) I'm learning about these mentors and will definitely find one. Considering it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to pan my view around, I'm in no rush to fire up the skills yet :)

I've been reading a fantastic getting started guide by Alice in Wonderland, it's extremely helpful to me.

I tend to have lots of questions so I'll probably look for a mentor who doesn't mind me pestering them from time to time :) Though, I do like to explore on foot for a while when I first enter a game or virtual world, so wouldn't want any tp runs until I'd died a few times going somewhere that just wasn't safe :D

Good that you started from reading guides. If all new players did it... :)

TP runs are basically exploring on foot :) Yup, you usually go to some place, but you're also exploring on the way. If you want to just explore and see interesting places (not focusing on getting all TPs fast), let me know. I need some pictures of places before they dissapear in CryEngine Entropia anyway, so can make shots with company as well :)

EU isn't really big enough to support its own dedicated news media let alone others. If someone does have time to write stuff though please consider getting in touch with TCP magazine. The advantage of writing for TCP over external media is that it is actually read by your fellow entropians and has even received direct praise from MindArk.

Cheers and good luck

Wistrel

PS While I'm at it, RCEUniverse also want writers from eU as do the Avastar magazine and at least two others. Go where your heart is.

EU isn't really big enough to support its own dedicated news media let alone others. If someone does have time to write stuff though please consider getting in touch with TCP magazine. The advantage of writing for TCP over external media is that it is actually read by your fellow entropians and has even received direct praise from MindArk.

Cheers and good luck

Wistrel

PS While I'm at it, RCEUniverse also want writers from eU as do the Avastar magazine and at least two others. Go where your heart is.

Thank you for sharing the additional information, Wistrel. Many people active in one virtual world are also active in others. The metaverse has provided all of us with ways to connect, network and socialize where geography and demographics do not present the same barriers they once did.

Gartner estimates that 50 to 60 million internet users will participate in some form of a virtual world by 2011. That's an awful lot of people spread among quite a few virtual worlds. Some of those worlds are focused solely on little chat rooms with bubbly text, some are more interactive with a focus on people themselves, others yet... gaming. I'm active and have been in active in many myself.

It's these factors that have led to the development of the Metaverse-Tribune. Bringing these communities together, sharing experiences, considering social impacts, and just sharing the passion and enjoyment that we have of our respective VW's is precisely what we want to do. A community doesn't HAVE to have enough material to support a dedicated news source. At the Tribune we want to hear the voices of the virtual residents. It's a lofty goal, I know. But we believe in our vision and will dedicate our time into bringing it to fruition.

And with that said, we'll also reprint materials printed by other news sources. I believe that partnerships are benefitial. We will cite and source submitted materials to the original print source, gives content to us, increases brand/publication awareness for the source, and also takes us one step closer to unifying the virtual communities.

And the end of the day my goal is comprehensive, objective, informative... and sometimes just entertaining material for anyone who is interested in virtual communities.

At heart, I'm a writer and I support all my fellow writers, whatever their genre or venue. Going where you are passionate and where you feel you are contributing is important and should you not have any interest in writing for the Tribune, perhaps you'll still visit us from time to time.

Nutter, thank you for the advice. I've already signed up on at least one other Entropia forum and was looking at some other sites that seem focused on Entropia. I like to do thorough research when time allows me to do so. I first started my online "gaming" or virtual world experience back in '95 when I'd telnet into MUDs... hehe, I think that was the last time I ever got involved with one that didn't cost me cold hard real cash.

Let's just say that virtual worlds and online environments are my passion and hobby... and I have a shopping addiction that I get to vigorously enjoy in virtual worlds :) and it's so much cheaper than a trip to the real mall!

Coz, thanks for the welcome also :) I'm learning about these mentors and will definitely find one. Considering it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to pan my view around, I'm in no rush to fire up the skills yet :)

Runeswan,
You will find that this community unlike others is very tightly connected, protective, and supportive of each other and the game... tho frustration sometimes shines thru on some threads. ;)

welcome again and see u in-world!
darri

Good luck with this, I usually enjoy EU zines etc and it'll be good to see another one, especially one that can promote awareness of EU.

I'd strongly suggest you check out The Calypso Post as a great example of EU writing - Wistrel and the team do a great job :)

I'm an events promoter in-game and it might be good for us to hook up somehow, I'll keep it in mind.

GZ, Runeswan... this publication looks very nice. Many SL articles... need some EU ones. :D

darri

I'll do some writimg, PM me details of what you want/format.

...any other opinions on the Metaverse Tribune? Looks pretty good to me... they seem to be bridging articles and activities between a handful of virtual worlds.

darri
:)

Back