Question: Anyone using an Airbook?

Dino

Old Alpha
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Dinara Dino Kapteck
Just curious if anyone is using an Apple Airbook to play PE? How is the performance?

Thanks!

it's a macintosh so erm no? :scratch2::rolleyes:

should be able to run windows in vm or boot to windows.... but only access via wireless

If it works, (which is a bit doubtful, maybe on lowest settings), it for sure isn't future proof, because it surely wont work with cryengine

If it works, (which is a bit doubtful, maybe on lowest settings), it for sure isn't future proof, because it surely wont work with cryengine
Why wouldn't it work with Cryengine? Or are you just guessing?

The Intel Video card is the killer for the Mac Air. It's a beauty of a unit but EU requires more video power. If you want to try it with a mac, your best bet is a Macbook Pro (or IMac) with a High-end ATI video card.

Why wouldn't it work with Cryengine? Or are you just guessing?

Because the macbook air has pretty weak graphics.

The air has an Intel GMA X3100 chip with just 144MB shared ram.

It probably will run EU today on lowest settings, but anything more advanced, like cryengine, forget it.

I've tried to run current EU on a GMA X3000, I gave up very quickly and got a real graphics card. (was a desktop computer)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0ERgZ9dztk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

:)

Hmmmm, nice looking unit. Can you do anything with it or just post it to someone else? :scratch2:

Hi Dino,

Actualy the newest Macbook Air comes fitted with a GForce 9400M, so it should paly just any other laptop with the same card. If you get one you can follow the instructions by Timbo Witters @ https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/technical/100221-entropia-unverse-macbook-works.html to get it running, hope this helps!

Yeah, should work fine with the new macbook air.

I'm going to try install Windows 7 on my non-air 2.0 GHz aluminium macbook tonight, and then try run EU on it, I'll be back with a report :)

2.0 GHz alu macbook and new macbook air should have very similar performance.

Well, I can report that both Windows 7 and Entropia works very fine on a 2.0 GHz 13.3" aluminum macbook. :)

Only thing not working properly is secondary click on the touchpad... but I like a mouse for EU anyhow ;)

Framerate is much better then on my current PC setup...

Btw, no special tools or setup needed (like that guide above) just install and run like normal after installing the macbook vista drivers.

Last edited:
Wow, best necropost every!

Thanks for the info. I gave up and bought an Alienware but if/when it dies or gets old and cranky now I know (and hopefully it helped someone else)

Back