Question: Does more Perception allow you to see mobs on radar at a greater distance?

Does perception allow you too see mobs at a greater distance?

• Yes, the higher your perc the further out you can see mobs.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • No, perc has no affect on the range you can see a mob.

Votes: 82 55.8%
  • I have no idea.

Votes: 47 32.0%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 10 6.8%

• Total voters
Status

CyberPunk

Stalker
William Cyber Punk
Recently I noticed a snable on my radar which seemed to be too far to be visible, the thought occurred to me that possibly there's a skill which allows you to see mobs at a greater distance, I can't imagine any skill other than perception being the cause of this.

What's your opinion?

Has anyone done any testing at all?

Was it just my imagination?

I believe it does. I also think it can affect the range at which one can spot fruit, stone and dung. Unfortunately, I'm not one of these manically experimental people who have the patience to test every variable, so I have no data to provide, but my "gut reaction" convinced me of this a while ago.

Interesting, and a very good question.

Sorry I do not know, I have done no testing,
nor been attuned to such a concept whilst out and about !

Along with what Shadowsong has stated,
It is possible and plausable for sure.

+rep to OP for bringing awareness to the possibility.

Subscribing.
Sparkz

sight range depends on mob hp i believe. or if you mean you could see it on radar before actaully on screen, thats likly to be detail setting (set lower to see things earlier, certainly applies to avatars)

sight range depends on mob hp i believe

Yeah I thought that too, but then thought perhaps as your perc increases you can see lower hitpoint mobs at a greater distance (higher hp mobs already appearing at the edge of radar).

if you mean you could see it on radar before actaully on screen

Not what I was getting at.

I didn't think perception affected when mobs appeared on radar, but it would take data to answer accurately. It would be an interesting find if it did.

Without formal data, I had noticed some mobs appearing on my radar further out and was curious. So I checked what they were as it happened and decided it was the stronger mobs (more HP) that showed up further out... enough to end my curiosity.

I checked on different mobs though.. you could do the same with low level snables and then again with high level ones to see if it answers why you saw them further out. Maybe you made me curious again too... ;)

Did not notice any difference with higher perception, except that it looks like I can see dung, fruits and stones from farther away.
But then again, isn't probing supposed to give the "ability to successfully gather information from a distance" ?

Interesting, good question.

Voted, I do not know.
Hope someone have done some testing about it, and will share the result here.

Subscribing.
Liza

Recently I noticed a snable on my radar which seemed to be too far to be visible, the thought occurred to me that possibly there's a skill which allows you to see mobs at a greater distance, I can't imagine any skill other than perception being the cause of this.

What's your opinion?

Has anyone done any testing at all?

Was it just my imagination?

the snabble was an anomally, perception skill has no affect on your radar at all. the rule is the more HP a mob has the farther away it can be detected by your radar. hence an atrox stalker will appear at the very edge of your radar screen, an 01 drone will appear midway between the two circles. how much fun do you think it would be to have a neconu stalker hiding in a bush pop onto your radar just 50 meters away from you? no fun at all unless you like dying horribly :).

I thought that's what probing does :confused:

The simple and correct answer to this is no. The deciding factor in terms of when an animal shows on radar is its HP plain and simple. This became glaringly obvious when Atrox HP were bumped and they started showing up much further away for the same maturity.

If you would like to test this theory find say 2 mobs each with same hp of say 4 different ranges like 2x 100-500 2x 501-1000 etc. and you will see that all mobs with the same general HP show up at the same distance.

Last edited:
No.

As far as i know, no skills makes any difference except for stats on weapons, tools and so on. No visual differences, no nothing :p

No, it doesn't

(don't quite know why there is a poll)

So if percep doesn't increase your sight range, what does it do?

Nope, it doesn't.

No.

As far as i know, no skills makes any difference except for stats on weapons, tools and so on. No visual differences, no nothing :p

Not true. Get to the same weight as a fresh noob and have yourself a footrace ;)

Or, grab two Atrox youngs and stand next to VVV and see who gets hit more often.

Not sure if it is perception, i guess its determined by a bunch of skills, or even attributes, but when a experienced player runs a total newbie to a new tp and the exp-player stops at the point as soon as he can see the blue dot of the tp at his radar, the newb is at the same spot not able to see the blue dot yet. He has to run 20-50m more to have it on the radar. I experienced that multible times.

creature HP is the only thing that determins how far off u see a mob.

Not sure if it is perception, i guess its determined by a bunch of skills, or even attributes, but when a experienced player runs a total newbie to a new tp and the exp-player stops at the point as soon as he can see the blue dot of the tp at his radar, the newb is at the same spot not able to see the blue dot yet. He has to run 20-50m more to have it on the radar. I experienced that multible times.

I've run into this as well and have been told that perception had some effect on distance player is able to see a TP - don't know if there is any truth to this or not, probably just another rumor!

I can't imagine any skill other than perception being the cause of this.
alertness?

by the way, i clearly remember that at the beginning i was able to see fruit at two steps distance, now it's rather like three steps, and some tutorial i've read stated it's four steps. i asked Simon the Guide about skills affecting my ability to see fruit, and he gave a pretty obtuse answer - "sorry, there's nothing i can answer you" - so, no outright refutal.

Ok, everyone agrees Mob HP determines how far away it shows up on the radar...
BUT...

There is Something that makes a difference. Many Many times on a team hunt when hunting Big "edge of the Radar" Mobs you can spot differences in Mob awareness from different Avatars. Some players get the red dot visible much earlier, suggesting they can see further. Next time you're Team Hunting big mobs check it out. Run around farly close together and sing out when a mob pops up on radar. There'll be people in your group who don't see it yet...

And it isn't this:

when a experienced player runs a total newbie to a new tp and the exp-player stops at the point as soon as he can see the blue dot of the tp at his radar, the newb is at the same spot not able to see the blue dot yet. He has to run 20-50m more to have it on the radar. I experienced that multible times.

Although that is true. The newbie can't see the tp yet since it isn't on his map yet. Go that way again after he's collected it and he'll get the blue dot much earlier....

But will he get it slightly later than you.. That's my point...

You see, I ramble, but i had a point...

Something gives Avatars differing abilites in far-vision, but is it Perception? Problee not...

Yes, when you 1st see the blue dot, send your friend ahead to get the TP then come back to you, he will now be able to see it at the same distance as you :yay:

What maturity your snable was?...coose as far i know ya can see from further high maturity and closer low maturity...

Personally, to increase my vision distance, I try to eat a lot of caroots.

That happened to me. W of Pandora with a Sabakuma. Thought it was a high-level atrax or armax but it was a young Sabakuma. Why it happened? Found out it was due to an invisible line where you leave one server and enter another one. Mobs dissapear and quickly reappear when they cross these lines... And mobs close to it stay on your radar till the outher range limit.

Personally, to increase my vision distance, I try to eat a lot of caroots.

Ah yes, the classic Myth, thanX Young Master Harkonen...

It IS true that, during World War II, there was a rumour going about that British Pilots' Avatars could see in the dark, after playing EU for hours and eating lots of Caroots...

In reality it was a piece of propaganda, spread by the Swedish, so that the German, Italian and Japanese Avatars would not know that the rest of the world had upgraded to Gold EU, while they were still running the Beta version of P.E...

That happened to me. W of Pandora with a Sabakuma. Thought it was a high-level atrax or armax but it was a young Sabakuma. Why it happened? Found out it was due to an invisible line where you leave one server and enter another one. Mobs dissapear and quickly reappear when they cross these lines... And mobs close to it stay on your radar till the outher range limit.

This is true! I found this out the other day. I was on my way from PA to Swamp Camp and saw a lone Daikiba young just standing around. So I decided to sweat-hunt it. After running around a bit the thing disappeared. I was totally confused and thought perhaps someone killed it and I was lagging. I went back and it magically reappeared before my eyes. I went back to where I was and it disappeared again. Now I know where the PA/Swamp Camp line is!

Not true. Get to the same weight as a fresh noob and have yourself a footrace ;)

Or, grab two Atrox youngs and stand next to VVV and see who gets hit more often.

Yes you're right. What i meant was that there isn't anything magical about skills.

Status
Back