Stamina - Skill decay - activity bonus.

Status

BlackHawk

Elite
Society
ROUA
Black Hawk Hawk
I was thinking of the fact that skills in EU have a problem. They go up and up and up and the process never stops. Then MA to counter this fact, will implement different skill nerfes that make all people happy. On the other hand, skills no longer reflect the activity in game, but they reflect how much one is decided to invest in skills. Attributes are not a good indication of a character involvement in a profession, because in different moment of time was easier or harder to get them.

We all have one skill that is not implemented and I think MA still has no clue what to do with it, but they have it because most other games out there have this and it sounds good on the board of skills. So I was thinking a change could help the community. And that is introducing the skill decay.

I know this subject was discussed in passed and I know I will get few more -rep's for that... but I still think is a good idea and it will make it better for all of us.

Skill decay implementation

We know that each skill contribute in many different professions in order to make our avatar to perform in different situations. Also, is clear that the skill increas is proportional in a way with how much the contribution is in the profession you perform. Knowing that, a fair way of implementing the decay is to choose the amount of loss should be applied in one skill based on its value and contribution in overall professions.
The decay should be applied each month, based on the day of birth of our avatar. Each month, the avatar will lose in each skill 5%*minimum_contribution_factor to our professions.

This would mean, that for example, if you have 1000 commando, you will have after decay 1000-1000*0.05*0.03=998.5
That is because commando contribute with 3% in hit professions.
If you have 10k LWT, because it contributes with 4% to Laser Weapon Engineer profession, you will have 10k-10k*0.05*0.04=9980

Stamina will reduce the decay on skills. At level 1 the decay is maximum, at level 100, the decay is reduced by 20%.

Attributes, including stamina, will decay just like any other skill.

Benefits of that are that active players are encouraged to stay active, while inactive people will have to make a choice about how inactive they can afford to be.

Activity Points

In order to protect the skills, each activity in EU, if successful, will generate activity points. Activity points are not skills. They will not influence any profession and they will be received after killing one mob, droping one bomb and/or clicking on a BP. The amount of the activity points recieved from performing any of those activities is proportional with the dificulty. (mob type, finder used, amp or no amp used, BP level and item type).
The decay from skills will be deducted from the activity points first and then from the actual skills. If activity points in a month are more than the decay of skills, the avatar will get skill bonus when he performs different actions.
Activity points can be traded in auction.

Last edited:
Evil thoughts ;p

If Im skilled enough to use a big toy, I will never forget how to use it. This way a skill decay is way too unrealistic. ;p

But MA will thank you for this post. ;)

What's good with losing skills?
And what does the date of birth have to do with it?

Im confused about this post

Skills CAN go down....Have you ever noticed how many skill chips are in auctions? 10% of every one of those decayed.
I chip out very often as it is (some friends and soc mates think too much), but if this is implemented then I will be chipping out ALL my skills on a regular basis....In fact I'll probably just quit EU, since my skills will eventually decay faster than I can skill them.

For people like you who have a MM to skill with, this is an easy idea, since you can just re-skill it in a few minutes! But for people who have to skill with a maxed Korss or P4, it's not so easy....Skills don't come as quickly.
No offense to you personally, but I think this idea is horrible :(

i think you'll get some greif for this suggestion. i can see the benefits though, its not a bad idea. until you play it through that is. in the end it will just defer the problems it addresses, only slowing skill gains but they will still increase unless everyone just stops playing. theres a further problem of creating a larger gulf betwen newbies and established players, take a month off or two and you return to an avatar thats lost maybe a couple of months skilling. although i note the example the tiny amount you are suggesting decays, in which case im not sure it would make any difference to the initial problem. but it seems like a interesting idea, dont know, to difficult to balance right i think in the end.

Interesting thought, although I'm not sure why skills would simply decay as time passed by. Perhaps a decay through dis-use would be realistic. If I had built up my handgun skill for instance and then stopped shooting handguns for a couple months, it would make sense that my skill might diminish (just like it increased when I used it). Imagine what this would mean for someone who stopped playing over the summer though... all that hard work would start to disappear.

I'm not sure I'm for something like this, but I like ideas that make you think!

arf.
I think you thought too much.
And I also think MA dont need to think a lot to open stamina attribute.

In dictionary stamina = "strength of physical constitution; power to endure disease, fatigue, privation, etc."

Maybe just do it like every other games.
You know? Stamina go down while you run and when it reach zero, you can only walk.
You have to stop walking/running to let the stamina regen.

The more strength you have, the more stamina you have. Or something like that. Maybe a combination of skills, I dont care as far as my low skills do not disapear when I'm at work or sleeping.

so this thing is pretty much like.. ubers who play this game for living wins.. and the ppl who lose in this game lose more.. coz cant be as active as the ubers who make their living in here..

As you can see from my example, a noob would loose 1 point and an uber would use few points in the same skill due to the way I propose to implement. The noob can build it back just as fast as the uber can. Even faster. At level of Kors, it would be 1 ped TT loss. At 10-12-13k is 10-11 ped chip. So that would benefit noobs more than it would benefit ubers. Also, the new players would have a better chance to catch up with ubers, especially with those that reached a high level and don't play the game or just have the skills for social status only. If skills are for social status only, is normal to have some decay and with that a cost to keep your high level of inactivity...
It would change some strategies in game, since many people tend to chip up far more than they need in skills they never use... I think that something like this with the right management would help the community a lot. Even if you don't see it that way, this is not beneficial to me. I am at a level where I can stop and start over whenever I want and enjoy the fact that I am more efficient than most players in EU. But the change would force me be active. I would lose to much if I stop. So that would put some pressure on me. But so it will on everybody else... so I think it would be fair.

I really dont like this idea,
I worked real hard to get where i am now to just see it melt away when i decide to take 6 months off for whatever reason. I think putting an ultimatum like that (play or loose your worth) would be terrible, and instead of raising activity would reduce it for so many, why waste the energy, time, money to skill something u'll loose anyways.. even if its a small percentage.

ofc thats just my :twocents:, but i dont see any reasons for more skill nerfs atm.

Hmmm, I quite like the fact I can take a break and come back the same later. Especially for some of the professions that I only occasionally skill in, it'd be very frustrating to watch it all eke away slowly when I'm not doing it. And for the people who bought their skills and don't play that much, this means they have to keep buying more skills to stay level.

No, don't like it.

But yes, I'd like to see Stamina do something, maybe improve regeneration speed.

i think crafting made you to thinking skills decay:D

how about MA droping more MM?;)

The reason i don't like the idea is beacause the beautiful thing with PE is that you can take a break for some months than come back and start again for 6 months. Then history repeats itself :)

But for sure this would make the most active players really get something out of being so active. But on the other hand people who have bought so much skills so they can be inactive, will cry to death when they realise they must log on once a month and buy a refill in every single skill.

Just my thoughts.

Kind regards, BB

As you can see from my example, a noob would loose 1 point and an uber would use few points in the same skill due to the way I propose to implement. The noob can build it back just as fast as the uber can. Even faster. At level of Kors, it would be 1 ped TT loss. At 10-12-13k is 10-11 ped chip. So that would benefit noobs more than it would benefit ubers. Also, the new players would have a better chance to catch up with ubers, especially with those that reached a high level and don't play the game or just have the skills for social status only. If skills are for social status only, is normal to have some decay and with that a cost to keep your high level of inactivity...
It would change some strategies in game, since many people tend to chip up far more than they need in skills they never use... I think that something like this with the right management would help the community a lot. Even if you don't see it that way, this is not beneficial to me. I am at a level where I can stop and start over whenever I want and enjoy the fact that I am more efficient than most players in EU. But the change would force me be active. I would lose to much if I stop. So that would put some pressure on me. But so it will on everybody else... so I think it would be fair.

As some people have chipped merely to look cool to noobs, I can imagine thye would be very upset to find that all that those few hours spent in the auction house chipping in were wasted.

I agree with the concept, but it is against the spirit of EU vs other RPG's...where you DON't have to play 24/7 to get maximum benefit.

This would discriminate against people who take a break, like my socmate who is on holiday for 10 months.

I could be wrong but if this were to be done EU would no longer be free to play and they would have removed that whole part of the game which attracted so many players to EU in the first place,
that you can play for free.

Since skills are worth ped's and an automatic withdraw of skills per month would in my mind be a fee

Please correct me if I'm off base in my line of thought?

In 10 months you will not lose so much to affect your market value dramatically. The loss after 10 months is less than the loss of 10% wasted on chipping out...

Hmmm, I quite like the fact I can take a break and come back the same later. Especially for some of the professions that I only occasionally skill in, it'd be very frustrating to watch it all eke away slowly when I'm not doing it. And for the people who bought their skills and don't play that much, this means they have to keep buying more skills to stay level.

No, don't like it.

But yes, I'd like to see Stamina do something, maybe improve regeneration speed.

What he said, lol :D

just to know:
why this thread? i really don t understand.
ofc will be nice see some for stamina, and it will be nice if ALL THE PLAYERS SKILL STAMINA IN THE SAME MOMENT, this mean that everybody will start from 9 and not from 9-30-70 according with the other skills the avatar carry on. but still:why this thread?

no.

i dont have time and money to play like a madman 24/7, normally i dont even have more then 1-2 hours a day to play, and this is also the limit of my pocket too... if something like this gets implemented ill sell all my skills while i still have them, and quit EU.

skill decay.. pff.. wtf

Were you dropped on your head?

This is the most dreadful suggestion i've ever seen on these forums, and as we all know there's some pretty bad ones!

Would be nice with some sort of reward for being active. But this is a very bad way to do it. As some people have already said in this thread one of the great things about Entropia is that you can play as much or as little as you want and pay for what you play. And that you can do any profession you want and become infinetly skilled in any or all professions. Be a miner for a few weeks, hunt for a year, craft for a few months and go back to mining or taming or whatever. Having to downgrade your equipment or chip up every time you pick up mining again would be disheartening for many players.
If you have 20k rifle you would in your example lose 390 levels per month, which I would guess is almost 500peds tt value, in one skill, every month.
So eventually a hardcore hunter would have to hunt 15 hours per day just to maintain his hunting skill.
I'm very active in the game but should be punished because I don't do everything every week?

I can't see a single good thing about this suggestion, rewarding people for activity would be nice, but this is the wrong way to do it. First of all because it punishes active people more than it rewards them (in the case of the 20k rifle uber hunter f.e). Most other games of this type have class systems which makes you unable to practice more than one or a few professions. But I think most Entropia players would prefer this universe to keep the current system where you can be a jack of all trades and take a break every now and then without it costing them hundreds of dollars. And for ubers (with two dozen skills at 10-20k) thousands of dollars per month.

EU is supposed to offer the option of depositing or not, skill decay would be like paying a subscription every month.

So what happens when you reach that point where its impossible to increase your skill more than the % your talking about that a skill decays, even if you play 24/7 for a month? I don't know, Lets say you have 140000 Evade, one of the most difficult skills to increase, it might be possible (and very unhealthy) to skill that much Evade in one month but your still going to loose it at the end of that month. Skilling would become sort of pointless for those with very high skills and why would you want to force people to play more than they already are?

After a certain level, when all weapons are maxed, your faps are maxed, mobs don't hit you, you can craft any BP with max CoS etc, skilling IS pointless. Storing skills after that point is just a social status decision and nothing more. It may be a "political" decision, and you may choose not to sell to prevent others to reach your level fast, to keep the market at a certain level or whatever, but is clear that extra skills will not give you any more benefit in gamplay. You can argue that some skills give HP and that having more HP can be a goal on its own, but so is having the most expensive car. Then again, after a certain level, HP is not so important anymore. Except for PK. But if you want to have the highest HP in EU is like wanting to own the most expensive car in the world... expensive.

Black Hawk, how long do you think it takes in the current system to reach max level in the following professions, time and pedwise (approximate profession levels required to max provided). When you've done this estimation, then apply your own skill decay idea them to work out how much longer it would take and/or the amount of activity required to maintain

texturizing - 110
paramedic -120
pyrotropian -100/100

I think this is a very bad idea. If there in the future will be a problem with to much skills floating around in EU just implement equipment that requires higher lvls (like allready being done). Examples of this is the high-end L-faps.

I dont really see that skills is gonna overflow the market if there is constantly introduced equipment that requier higher levels. Thats IMO much better than to nerf current skillsystem. A decay on skills is one way of protecting the "investment" for the hardcore hunter so that the price on skills wont fall to low, but there is other ways of doing it without punish mates who wants a brake once in a whilie.

Blackhawk,

Gratz on your new job at MA! I know you haven't made it public, but it is clear from this thread that you must be working for MA ;)

Blackhawk,

Gratz on your new job at MA! I know you haven't made it public, but it is clear from this thread that you must be working for MA ;)

LoL!
Don't we all?

After a certain level, when all weapons are maxed, your faps are maxed, mobs don't hit you, you can craft any BP with max CoS etc, skilling IS pointless. Storing skills after that point is just a social status decision and nothing more.

This is not true. Skilling always continues to have a point for at least one of two reasons:

1. Once you have reached the skill level you are comfortable with maintaining, you can sell extra skills to finance your play.
2. Even when weapons are maxed, extra skills continue to increase some stats of the weapon passed their maximum potential (meaning, over 100%). Just ask VVV.

After reading this forum for a few years, this has got to be THE most insane idea ever suggested. Its up there with "monthly subscription" and "remove the withdrawals".

The appeal of the game is that skills/items are forever, as long as you login once in 6 (?) months?

The basic premise that ITEMS decay with use is pretty hard to swallow for a noob... imagine what happens when they login after a month of inactivity and their measly skills have gone DOWN?

the player is never seen in EU again...

no new players, game's dead.

plus, i and everyone else paid some/alot of cash to get to where we are. And the red queen effect is bad enough as it it. No need to make it even worse.

in short:

thank you for suggestion, but its a terrible idea.

Status
Back