Why is entropia tracker only 30 running days records ?

AJack10600

Elite
Society
SPU ¦ Smart Professionals United
Larios Semai Niva
Semai says| ...

I was wondering why the tracker only showed 30 days running in it's ranking... would be nice if there was an Live to Date ranking available as well... ;) Would show the most active socs LTD...

First thought, maybe is a database size / web space thing :scratch2:

Got to admit i dont like the 30 day thing either. I would rather be able to show my all time hunting/mining/crafting stats tbh. Not sure what you are suggesting by the live to date? :)

There are two reasons for it.

First reason is the rank.
If someone starts playing today he will never get an as high rank as a vet no matter how much he hunts. The vet might have 4K-5K globals, which would also be counted into the ranks if it was "all time".

Second issue is database size.
We log some, uhm, 4000 globals pr day. Imagine the number of entries it has to pull in 2-3 years when you want "all time rank". 2.800.000 posts pr signature it has to look through. Lets say 500 ppl use the signatures thats 500 * 2.800.000 = 1.400.000.000 database entries it has to look through for each update of the signatures..... Which might take the server some time.. and in the process make it hate me...

With LTD I mean since registration till now...

The 30 day ranking is pretty much useless really... shows nothing but the activity of a few in one month and the lucky ones that had a ath in that period... it's a distorted picture...

If that's premium info to come fair ennough...

i think it's fair enuth for what is pretty much a free service that starfinder is providing you guys. if you whant more go premium member ....

i think it's fair enuth for what is pretty much a free service that starfinder is providing you guys. if you whant more go premium member ....
errr you make us sound like we are being ungrateful :rolleyes: Im already a premium member kthnx.

A lot of us contribute to this community in one way or another... no need to go after people for not being premium...

Even if it'a premium feature, it would be still rather pointless... that means I can only compete against other premium members... :rolleyes:

What shoudl be premium is some more detailed stats maybe... but the overall reanking needs to include as many people and socs as possible, otherwise it's worthless...

There are two reasons for it.

First reason is the rank.
If someone starts playing today he will never get an as high rank as a vet no matter how much he hunts. The vet might have 4K-5K globals, which would also be counted into the ranks if it was "all time".

Second issue is database size.
We log some, uhm, 4000 globals pr day. Imagine the number of entries it has to pull in 2-3 years when you want "all time rank". 2.800.000 posts pr signature it has to look through. Lets say 500 ppl use the signatures thats 500 * 2.800.000 = 1.400.000.000 database entries it has to look through for each update of the signatures..... Which might take the server some time.. and in the process make it hate me...

English version on Wikipedia took a full backup of its database in june 2008 (complete backup is done twice a year I think)
The total size was 14,7TB, I know this was zipped with tar or something.

I dont think EntropiaTracker is the same size as wiki yet, so how big can it be? 1TB HHD cost 200$.

All the old info dont need that much bw or hardware, since it will only be accessed from ppl from time to time..

English version on Wikipedia took a full backup of its database in june 2008 (complete backup is done twice a year I think)
The total size was 14,7TB, I know this was zipped with tar or something.

I dont think EntropiaTracker is the same size as wiki yet, so how big can it be? 1TB HHD cost 200$.

All the old info dont need that much bw or hardware, since it will only be accessed from ppl from time to time..

I think you are misunderstanding me, if we were to show rankings based on all time it would have to get the rank from ALL your globals - hence 2-3 yr old data in 2-3 yrs.. That will take up mych CPU time if it was to make 500 signatures every 30 min.

would a 12 or 6 month list be a compromise? or is that too bad CPU and storage wise as well? That would at least even out the differences a bit more... :ahh:

Don't get me wrong Starfinder, I'm not knocking your tool, I just think that 30 days worth of stats is not telling me that much cos if someone hits an accidental ATH, that just catapultes socs up or down the ranks... another solution might be to have a ranking without ATHs... just globals... on the 30 day stats anyway... on a 6 or better 12 month statistic, the ATHs might be ok as chances are high that more people might get some..

As it is now its just the number of globals thats affecting the Rank, not the global value - even tho that might come. But yeah, prehaps we could do 60 days. I just thought 30 days was a nice breakpoint --- 1 month.

I think you are misunderstanding me, if we were to show rankings based on all time it would have to get the rank from ALL your globals - hence 2-3 yr old data in 2-3 yrs.. That will take up mych CPU time if it was to make 500 signatures every 30 min.

Im not an expert database manager, but I know some.
.. and having a database adding 4-5k entryes text a days isnt much.
you could even make it generate statick pages once every 24hour. To keep main load to a time where most ppl are asleep.

Most ppl remember what globals they have gotten within the last 24hours so that is not so interesting, but whats interesting is to see how many globals you get a month, over maybe 2-3 years.

So what Im saying you dont been instant updating. once a week or once a day would be good enough to compare yearly stats.

I think starfinder is doing a fantastic job and wouldnt ask him to do anything to change whats being done or how he's doing it.

if you want to see your permanent record just look at your stats within your societies rating.

All of my "historical" globals (+1000) are there and i'm yours may be as well.

For the sake of keeping track of ones all time global value, one could just have accumulated values updated for an avatar at global registration time, thus no need to sift through millions of 'signatures' to calculate the value.

For the sake of keeping track of ones all time global value, one could just have accumulated values updated for an avatar at global registration time, thus no need to sift through millions of 'signatures' to calculate the value.

What he said; one can make use of views or temp tables and add up the values say once every 24hrs.

It is still a lot of work for the system, and it's only going to get slower; it's already taking some time to go to the Hunting page.

What he said; one can make use of views or temp tables and add up the values say once every 24hrs.

It is still a lot of work for the system, and it's only going to get slower; it's already taking some time to go to the Hunting page.

tmp tables or views wont solve the problem, since they are still based on underlaying tables.
If you really wanna do a "all time stats" solution you need to create a olap database and start doing some numbercrunching before inserting the aggregated values into the olap.
This is not rocket science but it take some time to set up

Btw great service Starfinder
Best spent peds in a long time :)

A bit off topic.... nothing much has happen on the site for quite a while... that dosent mean im not spending 3-4 hrs every single day programming new stuff....

This is what im making now:
[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Everything thats on the site now has been rewritten with speed and "awesomeness" in mind...

A bit off topic.... nothing much has happen on the site for quite a while... that dosent mean im not spending 3-4 hrs every single day programming new stuff....

This is what im making now:Everything thats on the site now has been rewritten with speed and "awesomeness" in mind...

Awesome to see this Awesomeness develop!

I very must respect the way you have bought your service to life with such professionalism and customer care. The Live support section is fantastic!!

9.5/10 :)

I still don`t get it`s purpose. :scratch2:

From the site:
Entropia tracker is a complete tool to find patterns in globals.

;)

ok - mainly track them, ranks, soc globals and ranks etc lots of fun...

*stirrs tealeaves*

There be gold in them mobs :D

Everything thats on the site now has been rewritten with speed and "awesomeness" in mind...

Looks cool and certainly awsome :yay:

I think I speak for the hole community when I say that we expect atleast 6-8hrs every single day in programming new cool stuff for us for free.
Who do you think we are....

3-4hrs pfffff!!!! I say :D

looks great m8 :yay:

:wtg::wtg:

Back