Which makes the best comparison? Tree is to shade as chimney is to wtf????

Immortal

Slayer
Society
cK Coat Killers
Hadlen Immortal Deity
So anyway I like going through tests and questions to pick out any serious flaws. Like this one

Which makes the best comparison? Tree is to shade as chimney is to:

Can you answer this question? Answers must be justified. Serious flaming guaranteed.

Fire.

If you stand under a tree, you are in the shade.

If you stand under a chimney, you are in the fire.

In which case serious flaming is certainly guaranteed :)

Do I win a prize?

Fire.

If you stand under a tree, you are in the shade.

If you stand under a chimney, you are in the fire.

In which case serious flaming is certainly guaranteed :)

Do I win a prize?

And what if it's nighttime????

Actually I like that answer.

Sadly, the multiple choice answer to this question did not list 'fire' among them.

(and wouldn't you need to be standing *in* the chimney, not under it)

Ah, you never said I had a multiple choice, and you definitely didn't tell me what the multiple choices were.

I thought the bit about flaming was a clue, but I guess not.

A fire is certainly under a chimney, not in it. Though depending on how tall you are and how big the fireplace is, I suppose part of you could be in the chimney if you were standing in the fire :)

Ah, you never said I had a multiple choice, and you definitely didn't tell me what the multiple choices were.

I thought the bit about flaming was a clue, but I guess not.

A fire is certainly under a chimney, not in it. Though depending on how tall you are and how big the fireplace is, I suppose part of you could be in the chimney if you were standing in the fire :)

Yeah i edited the question since none of the answers made anysense, even the 'correct' one. I wanted people's original answers tothis stupid question

yes! this is what the "correct" answer was of five alternates

What was their justification?
"chimney produces smoke, tree produces shade"
WTF???
How does a tree produce shade?????????

I demand a better answer!

The correct answer seems like a false analogy. Tree techincally does produce shade (let us stipulate we are talking sunny daytime) by virtue of being there. Chimney does not in any way produce smoke, at best it is a conduit for it.

Well a fire produces smoke not a chimney :scratch2:

And the idea that a tree produces shade is contentious at best

I think Oleg's answer was very good

Oleg's answer is amusing, sure, but the logical chain is not there. For this matter I dont think there is a right answer to this riddle as long as chimney is used as the second comparison point.

My take on it was this: When you apply light to a tree it produces shade without actually having to do anything by itself. If you apply fire to a chminey (hopefully at the bottom of it ;)), the chimney will produce smoke, again without having anything to do with the action.

Well, if you apply light to a tree it does produce shade, sure.

When you apply fire to a chimney you what happens...nothing, seems a chimney is just a conduit and fire needs to be applied to the firewood that is in the fireplace that will then produce smoke that goes up the chimney.

So seems the original premise of the puzzled is f'd up:)

Well, yeah - but you havent justified the answer, hon.

This is a standard multiple-choice question on IQ-type tests:

Which one of the five makes the best comparison? Tree is to shade as chimney is to:
a) Smoke
b) Fireplace
c) Brick
d) Sky
e) Garage

And the 'correct' answer is indeed a) smoke.

The relationship implied here is that of function or product...

A tree 'produces' shade, a chimney 'produces' smoke.

Tho really, its the fire that produces the smoke, the chimney merely directs it. :scratch2:

Another way to look at it is that in both cases, there is an implied reference to an energy source, so:

Tree [Sun] Shade
Chimney [Fire] Smoke

Also - there is the relationship implied by common metaphors/similes:
'shady as a tree' and 'smoke like a chimney'.

Umm... still not sure that this is really a good relationship between them, but I'm out of ideas here :cool:

My take on it was this: When you apply light to a tree it produces shade without actually having to do anything by itself. If you apply fire to a chminey (hopefully at the bottom of it ;)), the chimney will produce smoke, again without having anything to do with the action.
What if I apply light to a chimeny? doesn't it also produce shade? (shade was not an option) And fire to a tree? Does that not produce catalytic combustion (fancy-schmancy pants way of saying 'burning') rather than shade? What I I burn a chimney (~5500°C required?)

Precisely. It was buried within a so-called iq-test. I like to pa-troll this kind of bs.

Still looking for a correct answer

I have just googled the question and there are links to various aptitude assessment websites with this question on it. One website in particular that I saw has a multiple choice one with answers of:

(a) smoke
(b) fireplace
(c) brick
(d) sky

If this was also in the question that Immortal was raising it might have been a bit clearer why smoke is more relevant than any of the other options.

For some reason I just happened to think smoke as it was the first thing that came into my head, but if you look at the list of options in the version of the question I found it is much more clearly the right answer (IMHO opinion of course :)) compared to the other choices.

Well, if this was some kind of free association test sure smokey chimney sounds nice, but as this is a logic test, the test makers are little bastards:)

I have just googled the question and there are links to various aptitude assessment websites with this question on it. One website in particular that I saw has a multiple choice one with answers of:

(a) smoke
(b) fireplace
(c) brick
(d) sky

If this was also in the question that Immortal was raising it might have been a bit clearer why smoke is more relevant than any of the other options.

For some reason I just happened to think smoke as it was the first thing that came into my head, but if you look at the list of options in the version of the question I found it is much more clearly the right answer (IMHO opinion of course :)) compared to the other choices.

Yes but they are based on the premise they are testing yuor ENGLISH skill/verbal/word association. If they were 'best answer' then it's no problem. That's what the 40 question theoretical physics exam turned out to be "choose the best answer".

An equivalent question to this, if we were to apply to mathematics (just to demonstrate how bs the question is)

Which of these is the smallest?
(A) one cubic metre
(B) seven xylophones
(C) frantic hypersymettry
(D) i
(E) none of the above

where the answer is (E) since the answer to the question give you the answer, and the true answer can not be arrived at by indepedently considering the question.

The thing with the question in question is

Shade tree
Brick Chimney

TOO MANY INTERPRETATIONS=BAD

edit: and sky chimney is also possible, and googleable

To make it very simple, shade is 'attached' to a tree, but trees do not always have shade. Smoke is 'attached' to a chimney, but chimneys do not always have smoke.

To make it very simple, shade is 'attached' to a tree, but trees do not always have shade. Smoke is 'attached' to a chimney, but chimneys do not always have smoke.

Can that not be said of the other options though? fireplace brick sky
For the answer to qualify as smoke, it would need to be clear that 'smoke' is the only answer possible

Moving along/// her's another one
Which word fits in the blank in this sequence: mouse, squirrel, ____, hippo, blue whale

Butterfly

Frog

Deer

Lion

:confused::confused::confused:

Ventilation would be a better answer to the analogy

Tree 'provides' shade
Chimney 'provides' ventilation

Lion or Deer both work for the other list if they are ordered by size (and I would bet some frogs are bigger than squirrels.

Could be butterfly if all words contain u (hippopotamus).

In online IQ tests; "the only winning move is not to play".

Which word fits in the blank in this sequence: mouse, squirrel, ____, hippo, blue whale

Butterfly

Frog

Deer

Lion

Maybe Frog if it's ordered in increasing amount of time spent in water...

Well I can't think of anything better :laugh:

Deer.

Assumptions:

1, Sequence is by order of increasing size.
2. Unifying set is 'non-carnivorous mammals'.

Deer.

Assumptions:

Fair answer, but I'm pretty sure mice eat other animals, and blue whales survive on krill.

Even just 'mammals' almost works except deer+lion. I was toying with the idea of it being 'word esque' but blue whale screws that theory

Deer.

Assumptions:

I thought about the increasing in size/herbivore thing, but blue whales aren't herbivores, and hippos sometimes eat meat as well

Is there even a common grouping? I'm trying to find the link between them

mouse, squirrel, hippo, blue whale

"not a predator" - too many options
"omnivores" - Frog Lion
"hungry"
"interesting teeth"

"rodent-rodent-...-mammal-mammal" Deer Lion

"mammals that are omnivores" lion

My official answer was lion :dunno:

According to Bode's "Theorem of Snack Food to Beverage Progression" the answer must be Deer

Singular Rule:
Mouse = Cheese
Squirrel = Nuts

Combination Rule:
Hippo = Dippo = Dip
Blue Whale = Blue Cheese
Gives us Blue Cheese Dip

Beverage Progression:
Deer = Beer

It's all true I tells ya I found it here

:
Tho really, its the fire that produces the smoke, the chimney merely directs it. :scratch2:

Its the sun that produces the light and the tree merely redirects or blocks the light.

According to Bode's "Theorem of Snack Food to Beverage Progression" the answer must be Deer
lalalalalala

Hmm so what you are saying is that after cheese and nuts, you drink beer, and THEN you eat dip THEN Blue cheese ??? why go back to cheese o_O

FAIL

Well, so far no satisfactory answers (that, mind you, are nested within tests that ‘supposedly’ take 30s-1min to answer a question.)

Identify the factors in these questions that make them much much easier to solve than is (initially) intended.

A group of 5 people must contain either 3 mutual friends or 3 mutual strangers.

Using six toothpicks you can create four equilateral triangles (where each triangle's side is the length of a toothpick).

If the color red was created by combining purple and yellow, and the color blue was created by combining green and purple, then orange could be created by combining yellow and green.

yes! this is what the "correct" answer was of five alternates

What was their justification?
"chimney produces smoke, tree produces shade"
WTF???
How does a tree produce shade?????????

I demand a better answer!

Omg, that's exactly what I was going to saw. :D Almost.

The real answer is:

"Tree produces shade in conjunction with the sun, chimney produces smoke in conjuntion with the fire." :)

"Tree produces shade in conjunction with the sun, chimney produces smoke in conjuntion with the fire." :)

and where, pray tell, did you induce fire from?

and where, pray tell, did you induce fire from?

What do you use your chimney for? Air ventilation? :scratch2:

It's quite simple really, because you said the tree would produce shade - which is bip in the skit unless you have a light source. The chimney can't produce smoke without fire.

Back