Which makes the best comparison? Tree is to shade as chimney is to wtf????

What do you use your chimney for? Air ventilation? :scratch2:

It's quite simple really, because you said the tree would produce shade - which is bip in the skit unless you have a light source. The chimney can't produce smoke without fire.

When a chimney is submitted to sun, it also produces shade (bearing in mind, this was not a n option). And when a tree is submitted to fire, it also produces smoke.

If the question was "catinthefurnace tree is to smoke as chimney is to? then i might agree it is smoke. However, you touched on a point, as tree+randomobject=shade
chimney+randomobject=smoke

a) Smoke
b) Fireplace
c) Brick
d) Sky
e) Garage
Smoke is a by-product of a chimney while not being an element of the chimney.

Solved!

(though it's still a lame question since shade is the most correct answer and was not an option)

Yup, a chimney produces shade as well. I dunno where the smoke or fire came from in explanations I've just read; the only elements mentioned in the whole question were the tree, the shade and the chimney. Now depending little on the nature of it's construction (a chimney can be brick, steel, any material that's up to the job) the chimney itself is basically a funnel, an open-ended box or tube. Whatever goes in one end will come out of the other, if it rises, and if the chimney's the right way up and functioning correctly.
With nothing mentioned except Tree, Shade and Chimney, we can only imagine a lone tree, a lone chimney (can we suppose a roof for it to be mounted atop, or does the lack of description indicate merely the chimney itself, sat on the ground?) and whatever is making the tree give the shade; a light. If we can assume they are both in the same area, the Chimney will be just as good at providing shade as the tree, if not better, given that some light would penetrate the leaves of the tree. Unless the light itself is the fire beneath the chimney (unspecified and rather contrived) then smoke or fire, the Chimney's usual cohorts, are absent from this picture.

The answer then is shade, as Immortal said. Unless the question was that "Tree is to Shade" meant "something that can be loosely connected by association"... this would mean that "Chimney is to smoke", or indeed, "Chimney is to skyline". The question's not that well-worded, and the 5 answers are all possibly correct given the imprecise nature of interperetation.

I'd write shade and fail it.

Hurrikane

When a chimney is submitted to sun, it also produces shade (bearing in mind, this was not a n option). And when a tree is submitted to fire, it also produces smoke.

If the question was "catinthefurnace tree is to smoke as chimney is to? then i might agree it is smoke. However, you touched on a point, as tree+randomobject=shade
chimney+randomobject=smoke

a) Smoke
b) Fireplace
c) Brick
d) Sky
e) Garage
Smoke is a by-product of a chimney while not being an element of the chimney.

Solved!

(though it's still a lame question since shade is the most correct answer and was not an option)

I actually thought of it a bit more and I don't think smoke is the complete answer (nor fire+chimney=smoke.)

The tree will only produce the shade in combination with a ligh source, it doesn't have to be the sun. The shade is assumed to be the shade of the tree itself - ie it's not that the tree is growing in the shade of something else nor that the tree is growing at night (when everything is shade.)

So; the shade of the tree is to the tree as something is to a chimeny. But what is something? It's not smoke as smoke is too imprecise. Smoke can be any smoke, but it doesn't have to be the smoke coming out of the chimney.

I can only see two possible sollutions: Either it's as you say, shade. A tree is to shade as a chimney is to shade OR it could be A tree is to shade as a chiney is to a pillar of smoke.

The sun can't produce shade without the tree and a background - but fire can produce smoke without a chimney. The fire can't, however, produce a pillar of smoke without the chimney.

Omg

Sheesh.....after all that...I need a smoke!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!---------HAPPY HALLOWEEN!--------HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

:vampire:-------------:vampire:-------------:vampire:------------:vampire:

-----------:vampire:-------------:vampire:------------:vampire:-----------

sorry, but "smoke" and "fire" didnt work, becaus the tree gives the shade without any help.

so you have to look at the chimey as it is, without somethin in it on fire; just the chimney.

what about " well-being " aLso a chimney without fire is giving a weLL-being feeling.

or is the chimney on fire, dear thread-starter?

yes, i study philosophy

sorry, but "smoke" and "fire" didnt work, becaus the tree gives the shade without any help.
Shade requires light. Shade isn't shade when there's no light.
so you have to look at the chimey as it is, without somethin in it on fire; just the chimney.

what about " well-being " aLso a chimney without fire is giving a weLL-being feeling.

or is the chimney on fire, dear thread-starter?

yes, i study philosophy

If you had read all the thread, you would see how much=sux i think the answers are, and that the point you make here was already discussed, and came up with perhaps the only and most obscure and loosely compiled correlation to justify their response.

Meanwhile, here's some more mostly-harmless questions that are yet undiscussed, but contain gross flaws (whether intentional or not)
A group of 5 people must contain either 3 mutual friends or 3 mutual strangers.

Using six toothpicks you can create four equilateral triangles (where each triangle's side is the length of a toothpick).

If the color red was created by combining purple and yellow, and the color blue was created by combining green and purple, then orange could be created by combining yellow and green.

The answer is Dick Van Dyke

Justification...

If you have a tree, you don't need to wait long b4 Shade turns up...

Well it seems like the correct answer should be: Somebody who studies nails

Which isn't there :scratch2:

I'm tempted to pick Meteorologist as the least worst answer, because at least they study something

However

My pick is Carpenter, because an entomologist usually needs insects to do their job while a carpenter usually needs nails to do theirs

Now see the correct answer is clearly 'beautician' or 'nail technologist' ... ;)

Oh - those metal things ... I see...

Carpenter then, I guess.

Back