Skam's Guide to Make-Up

Status

Skam

The Half-Wit Phoenix
Society
Rabbids
Silicon Skam Chip
logoguide.jpg

Make Up have been introduced, and this gives alot of possibilities!
Meaning customized, specialized, dramatized, face-tattoos, amazing designs or naturally gorgeous make-up to give you your unique looks!
Here's the guide with the information you need to do it yourself.

Basic Understanding:
  • If someone wants to do make-up on you, you can always abort the session. Do not fear, the make-up painted on you will not be there permanent.
  • Make-Up does not rely on any type of ingame skill, instead you will use your real life skills on design. Make-up however does rely on a steady hand as you will have to put it on manually.
  • You need no tools in order to make a Make-Up mask, other than the mask itself and the make-up you plan on applying to it.
  • What gender you are, does not matter. Both females and males can use the same mask if they wish.
  • All the designs are symmetrical. What you design on the left side of your face will automatically be added on the right side of your face. This means that writing and unsymmetrical logos will be troublesome, and tattoos on only one side of the face is impossible.
  • There is no way to save a design for uploading on several masks. You will have to draw the design on each mask. That means that every design is unique. Nor can you edit the masks after it is saved.
How to Start Make-Up:

You can do make-up on yourself or on others. If it is your first try, give it a go on yourself first.

To do this, open Action book, and click Beauty. Drag out all the elements there onto your screen or place them on hotkeys.
Also go to the Control section of the Action book and drag out Target Eyes, Target Face and Target Mouth. The mouth and eyes one will make you able to zoom in extra on these areas while making details.

Make sure you (or your victim) are not wearing anything covering your face; no shades, make-up masks, hats, armor or the like. Target yourself (or drag out the health-bar of your victim and target that) and use the hotkey for “Start/Stop Make-Up Session”.

If you wish to start a make-up session on another avatar you can also simply right click him/her and choose Beauty and then Start Make-Up Session. The Beauty part will not be available until the avatar has a naked face.

You will then be taken into an interface showing the avatar’s (yours or your victim) up close, and a window will open where you can put the make-up mask. However the mask does not need to be placed there until the end, and only if you wish to save your work.

Drag the make-up (placed in your materials-section in Inventory) from inventory and onto your face. You will see a round shape which is your brush size.
You can use as many different make-ups as you wish. To find more information about the different make-up and how it works, look further down in this tutorial.

interface.jpg

Brush Sizes:
You have two ways of changing brush sizes.
Hold in the “Toggle Brush Sizes” hotkey while you scroll your mousewheel up or down to increase or decrease size fast.
If you however do not have a mouse-wheel or for some reason this does not work, you can use the buttons called “increase -” and “decrease brush size”. Do notice that the brush sizes varies according to what type of make-up you are using, and increasing and decreasing will only take you within the perimeter of these.

Make-Up Masks:
You need a make-up mask in order to save your make-up.
The Make-Up Mask (tailored) that comes in three different sizes: Small, Medium and Large.
The only difference between the sizes are the trade terminal value of these. Small is 100 Ped value, Medium 150 ped value, and Large 200 ped value. All of them have a 90% condition, meaning they will break once they reach 90%.

• Small breaks at 90 Ped and lasts for 10 ped of decay, and thus can be equipped 100 times before breaking.
  • Medium breaks at 135 ped and can be used for 15 ped decay, and thus can be equipped 150 times before breaking.
  • Large breaks at 180 ped and can be used for 20 ped of decay, and thus can be equipped 200 times before breaking.
A mask decays 10 pec every time you equip it. All the masks have same decay, so the Large and Medium will last longer if you’re planning on taking your make-up on and off a lot.

There is nothing that unequips the make-up mask other then equipping another make-up mask, so you’re fine to have one make-up mask permanently equipped, also under Armor Facemasks and Helmets, and thus not decaying it.

mask.jpg

Make-Up:
Make Up is looted from a lot of different creatures. There are different textures, brush sizes and flow to the different types of make-up, and understanding of this will help you make as good result as possible.
You only need one of each make-up you wish to apply, to make the design. But if you have several in one stack, there will only be one used.
When the mask is uploaded, the make-up is used up and will disappear from your inventory (or one from the stack if using a stack of several)
Be aware that while you might have removed all trace of one make-up using a make-up remover, the system still thinks it is used. So it is better to start the make-up procedure over again.

Notice that some colors are more vibrant on other skin-tones. Light colors often shows better on dark skin, and dark colors often show off better on light skin.

The “Naturals”:
The Natural Looking make-up enhances your avatars beauty, but does not work too well for creating flashy designs:

• Rouge: Rouge is nice to make a rosy blush in the cheeks. Rouge has a fairly large brush, looks very dry and is not shiny at all. Rouge is dry with high transparency, but you can clearly see the difference if you run a Make-Up remover Rough through the painted area. If you apply too much it does not look natural anymore.
    Comes in colors: Burgundy, Cardinal, Carnation Pink, Coral, Hot Pink, Pink-Orange
  • Foundation: Foundation is supposed to blend into your skin, making the skin more even-looking. The tricky part is finding a foundation that suits your skin-tone exactly. It comes in several different skin-tones, and uses large brush. Medium transparency.
    Comes in colors: Bronze, Brown, Chocklate, Dark Brown, Golden Brown, Pale Brown, Pale Pink, Peach, Tan, Wheat.
  • Powder: Powder have very very high transparency, but is also made to make the skin more even-looking and natural. A trick is to combine the foundation with powder to come close to a natural, even look. Uses a large brush.
    Comes in colors: Copper, Dark Chestnut, Deep Peach, Pale Pink, Tan
  • Highligher: Very very high transparency, it makes the skin look a little lighter where applied, but have minimal effect.
naturals.jpg

Lips:
None of the make-ups specified for the lips can be used outside the lip area.

• Lipgloss: Glossy effect with lower transparency. You can either apply a lot to create a lot of color, or apply a little to only have the glossy effect.
    Comes in colors: Burgundy, Cardinal, Carnation Pink, Hot Pink, Pale Red Violet, Pink-Orange, Silver
  • Lipstick: Dry and not as glossy as the lipgloss, but more full color.
    Comes in colors: Auburn, Black, Burgundy, Cardinal, Hollywood Cerise, Pink-Orange
  • Lipliner: Dry, but with smaller brush than the lipstick.
    Comes in colors: Black, Burgundy, Crimson, Hollywood Cerise, Maroon
lips.jpg

Other Make-Up:
  • Eyeshadows: Brush can be done fairly small, and it has medium transparency. Applying a lot will give fuller colors. Some eyeshadows are shiny and metallic looking like Gold, Silver and Steel Blue. Most however are dry and un-reflective of light. Eye-shadow can successfully be used outside the eye-area to make details elsewhere on the face.
    Comes in colors: Dark Tangerine, Gold, Hollywood Cerise, Medium Purple, Olive Drab, Pale Brown, Pale Cornflower Blue, Silver, Slate Grey, Steel blue, White.
  • Glitter Spray: Sprays in a very large area at the time, and releases few glitters at the time. You can keep spraying same area for denser effect. It looks best on dark skin or on top of dark face paints, otherwise it tends to not be as visible. Glitter Spray is of course shiny and light reflecting.
    Comes in colors: Silver, Royal Blue, Gold, White and Pink.
  • Cosmetic Pen: Cosmetic pen is the make-up that has the smallest brush possible. It also makes it very difficult to handle, and a steady hand is required for extensive detail work. It is the make-up artist favorite tool to make details, and is popular for facial tattoos. The color is very dense and not transparent at all.
    Comes in colors: Black, Dark Brown, Royal Blue, Royal Purple, Sea Green, Slate Grey, White.
  • Face Paint: Face paint comes in a multitude of colors, and is one of the most used make-ups. It has a very dense color, low transparency and medium-dry look. When applied it uses a large to medium brush, making it difficult if not impossible to draw details with it. The facepaints does have a little transparency, though not much, and can be blended into eachother for effects, or one can be put on top of the other without the underlying paint showing through –making it easy to draw for example flags.
    Comes in colors: Black, Blue, Dark Brown, Dark Green, Green, Grey, Navy Blue, Olive, Orange, Pale Brown, Pink, Purple, Red, Turqoise, White, Yellow.
facepaint.jpg

eyeshadow.jpg

Make-Up Removers:
Make up removers is a key essential to detailed make-up masks.

• Make Up Remover Rough: Is the most handy tool to make details in Facepaint. It removed all the underlying paint and make-up. As it can be put to a fairly low brush size, this means you can make nice details by removing make-up in the area where you do not want it. Have a very straight and rough brush.
  • Make Up Remover Smooth: Only works on the Natural make-ups, and removes it with smooth edges, instead of the Rough’s straight edge. Fairly large brush.
How to Upload & Transfer Cost and Materials Value:

You upload your work by putting the mask in the make-up window and clicking “OK”. The Make-Up will then be saved to the mask and the mask will show up in a loot-window. To wear the mask, simply equip it! It will be located in the clothing part of your inventory.

The Material Value is the Trade Terminal value of all the make-up items you have used, except the make-up mask. This will be transferred to your account after you’ve accepted the uploading of make-up.
Transfer cost varies but gets higher the more make-up you use, but have a base of 5 peds start.
However material value is almost always higher then transfer cost.

Important:
In order to avoid problems when uploading your completed make up mask, it is very important that your security settings allow the procedure and that port 30583 (TCP Outbound) is opened in your firewall/router. If the upload fails, no upload costs will be charged, but the materials will be consumed i.e. the Materials Value will be transferred to your account and the materials cannot be retrieved.

Additional Tips:
  • Go outside to do make-up, the light is better.
  • Stand in natural posture while doing make-up. When standing in other postures (for example sexy) the head is crooked.
  • If you’re thinking of starting up as a professional make-up artist, get a drawing tablet for PC so you can use a pen to draw the details instead of the mouse. This works in Entropia too. Wacom’s ones are pretty expensive, Trust have cheaper ones.
  • Doing make-up on an avatar that has a hairstyle that does not cover the face makes for a lot more professional result, as the hair cannot be pulled back in any way.

Last edited:
Nice guide there girl :)

Awsome guide by an awsome girl! :yay:

Great Guide- Thanks!

Edited, added all colors avalible in the different make-up types.

This is a superb job Skam, ty so much +rep

Great Guide- Thanks!

Thx for the info Skam, i been wondering how to do this :)
Very good guide :wtg:

A question:

What would be the color from Other Make-Up section that fits the best for carmine? Regular red just isn`t it - i think i saw it on Norway flag (i believe it was laban`s mask).

nice guide, i wondered how you used a few of the items and now i wonder no more :) cheers skam

A question:

What would be the color from Other Make-Up section that fits the best for carmine? Regular red just isn`t it - i think i saw it on Norway flag (i believe it was laban`s mask).

There isnt any that really is close to carmine.

Some of the lip-makeup looks closer to carmine then the red, however they are unable to go outside the lips.

If you've seen a color closer to Carmine, then I assume its layer work. Red can be done darker and more carmine'ish if you for example put burgundy rouge over it for example.

Met a guy tonight that wanted to colour his face completely white.

He wanted to know how many face paint's it would take, any idea?

I didnt have a clue :dunno:

nice guide btw :thumbup:

There isnt any that really is close to carmine.

Some of the lip-makeup looks closer to carmine then the red, however they are unable to go outside the lips.

If you've seen a color closer to Carmine, then I assume its layer work. Red can be done darker and more carmine'ish if you for example put burgundy rouge over it for example.

Oh so it is trickery than. Well i`ll try that.

just 1.

no matter how much you use it will only use 1 of every item, so for instance
you paint the face totally white then do 1 tiny black beauty mark with a cosmetic pen you will use 1 white facepaint and 1 black cosmetic pen.

cheers

Reactions: dj.

Make-Up:
You only need one of each make-up you wish to apply, to make the design. But if you have several in one stack, there will only be one used.

Like Butch Said :)

nice guide. Thanks Skam and +rep

I think I d like to try this makeup shit : )
After the Mayhem

Very nice guide.. been wondering few things, this helped ty +rep

thanks for posting this - very helpful!

nice one skam... actually had no idea how this works lol :D

"...it is very important that your security settings allow the procedure and that port 30583 (TCP Outbound) is opened in your firewall/router"

does this still apply? or did MA fix this?

"...it is very important that your security settings allow the procedure and that port 30583 (TCP Outbound) is opened in your firewall/router"

does this still apply? or did MA fix this?

Tbh I havent dared to check if its still not the case. But it does seem to be alot less people troubled with bad uploads because of the security settings.

Decided to put it in the guide just to be on the safe side. :)

Awesome guide! Thanks!

Brilliant guide! Thanks, could you help me out here? when I try to do makeup it only lets me put lipstick on, even tho i pick up eyeshadow nothing happens when I try use it on the eyes :(

Brilliant guide! Thanks, could you help me out here? when I try to do makeup it only lets me put lipstick on, even tho i pick up eyeshadow nothing happens when I try use it on the eyes :(

Thats really strange :scratch2: And a problem Ive never encountered, if its a bug.

The problem might be that you're used to see the density of color on the lips. The eyeshadows doesnt give out much color on the first stroke, hardly any at all -you'll have to keep brushing the same spot to get a fuller color. Some eyeshadows are also very hard to see on some skintypes; For example is Pale Brown eyeshadow hard to see on tanned skin at first, and white eyeshadow on the whitest skin also basically impossible to see.

I'm the Guinea Pig Wobbs is talking about, I've also tried on him as well.
Was same thing, lipstick but nothing else. I have several colors of eyeshadow (lt and dk) and none are showing up :(

Just curious when you add the mask to the box will it preview the makeup?

And YES your post was phenomenal:yay:

+rep

Jez

I'm the Guinea Pig Wobbs is talking about, I've also tried on him as well.
Was same thing, lipstick but nothing else. I have several colors of eyeshadow (lt and dk) and none are showing up :(

And YES your post was phenomenal:yay:

+rep

Jez

That is really strange. Maybe we could meet up ingame and I can try it out on you?

Like I already mentioned though, it usually takes alot of strokes before you can see a visible difference with the natural make-ups and the eyeshadows. Its substance is powderish. Even the darkest color, Slate Grey, can at the first brush not be visible.

A few more spesifics: Do you have a good graphics card, one that shows entropia with pixelshader, and is all the graphic settings set to max (in client loader and ingame) ?

On the mask, like an item? No. You'll see the make-up on the mask itself only when its uploaded.
On the face -yes, but it does that either if you have a mask or not. :)

Glad you liked my guide!

Wow you reply fast!!

Found this through the EU website:

Initiate a make up procedure by targeting another avatar and using the 'Start/Stop Make Up' action from the 'Beauty' section of your Action Library. If you want to target yourself as the model, hold down the 'Alt' key while initiating the 'Start/Stop Make Up' action.

I will try again and if nothing, then you may have to shake me off ya leg cuz I be hanging on for dear life!!!
:wtg:

Jez

p.s yes graph. card is brand new and hubby said it's the best or near.
Pretty certain everything is set to the fullest, will check it out to make sure.

Thanks again

Last edited:
yea and I also explained it "How to start make-up" how to do it on yourself, but I mentioned another way of doing it -simply because then you also learn about the hotkeys that is a huge help in creating good make-up masks :)

But I dont think the problem have anything to do with doing it on yourself or doing it on others. I just did a little test. If you do 10 brushes (holding in mouse button, brushing over the area, releasing mouse button, repeat) on fairly light skin with Slate Grey eyeshadow it still wont show.
You need to hold in the left mouse button and brush constantly back and fourth over the same area until you see color.

Status
Back