FYI: Better CryEngine2 Update Coverage

Ravenslay3r

Hatchling
Society
Atomic Washers
RavenSlay3r
"When is the new Entropia Universe: CryEngine2 update going to be released?"

As a new EU customer (but veteran gamer and programmer), I was excited to see CryTek's CryEngine2 in action. Given the hype, I was underwhelmed by the EU client, but not initially clear if I was looking at the Crysis engine or not... The information on EU's website is outdated and confusing - leaving new customers to ask "Is this the update? Was development delayer or canceled? Can I trust this company with my money?"

Most gamers understand that software-release dates slip. What we expect is for the vendor to be open and honest with it's customers:
- Add a 'CryEngine2 Info' page to your website
- Give us monthly developer news-updates
- Give us developer screen-shots and videos
- Post the target system-requirements

This allows us players to set our expectations appropriately. Seeing the progression gives us something to look forward to and builds trust rather than undermining it.

No one (myself included) likes to give bad news.. Ironically, most people are indifferent when presented with regular, timely and accurate information. Poor and mis-leading communication NOT missed-deadlines, is what pisses people off. (just google "openGL 3").

So far I'm really enjoying EU and looking forward to the engine upgrade. This is just my $0.02 (thats 20.0 PEC) on how MindArk could better manage their public-relations. :)

Best Regards,
RavenSlay3r

CE2 in 2010
that is all u need to know.

Send this text in a support case to MindArk :D

CE2, early 2009 according to latest :)

I think what u say is great:) go tell MA

hope the pc requirements wont be much higher:eek:

hope the pc requirements wont be much higher:eek:

Well I guess people who are still using PCs from 2002 or something like that should think about a major upgrade. Same for everyone who only uses some Intel Grafics.

Anyway, I totaly agree with the innitial post.

I agree with some here.

Great text and send it in a support case to Mindark.

I too saw early 2009 as latest news and it was indeed not easy to find.
(Was in some kind of interview where I had to read it.)

Greetings,

Alius ally micnolius

I 100% agree with you, but MindArk will not listen :( (or mayby They Will ?! :yay:)

+ rep VERY well said

you are preaching to the choir here.

i agree, mind arch did very little market research and reallly need to get on the ball if they want to see this project succeed , especially in the us market where we are bombarded by hundreds of games a year

Mindarks communicational skills to the public is very limited and low. But they are getting better on it.
Very nice post. I think all people from EF community should write this to MA support. Enough support cases on this matter and maybe MA will do something about it. Know that it will be much better to do this way. as The Thread starter said.
I know i think it would be much better. Heck I even might start deposit :yay:

"When is the new Entropia Universe: CryEngine2 update going to be released?"

As a new EU customer (but veteran gamer and programmer), I was excited to see CryTek's CryEngine2 in action. Given the hype, I was underwhelmed by the EU client, but not initially clear if I was looking at the Crysis engine or not... The information on EU's website is outdated and confusing - leaving new customers to ask "Is this the update? Was development delayer or canceled? Can I trust this company with my money?"

That was a rather excellent post, my friend. I couldn't agree more.

I have never come across a game developer who shares less information, and I too have experience in the games industry.

It's interesting you use the term 'new EU customer', as I'm dead sure that's not what MA see you as. They like to make out that none of us are customers - we are just here to enjoy the world they created and hand over bunches of cash in return.

Personally I'm not holding out much hope for the CE2, as I firmly believe it won't revolutionise the gaming in EU, no matter how well it's implemented. It'll probably bring the visuals up to date a bit, but I think EU overall has severe design limitations that won't be overcome by a new engine.

However, MA could most certainly benefit by being more open and transparent in what they do behind the scenes. Despite what they think it will not compromise the integrity of EU.

It also wouldn't hurt MA to be a little more open to accepting ideas from the player community, and acting on their requests. At the end of the day, people know what they want from EU, and it surely can't hurt MA to listen, even if they do 'know best'.

This has always been my main gripe with EU, and otherwise it's a pretty amazing creation all things considered.

Well said, I think you have summed up all the post about Cry2 in a very nice post.

I hope MA take not of this and release some more info and keep us up to date lol like hell the will.. never have done before so Cant see them changing there habits.

I have notice the other MMO that has recently released there screen shots and they are using cry2, they have release dates for april; I really hope MA do release their update before this date..

please Marco pull some strings at your end and show us more of what is to come..

we all can go to the Arrival house at PA. At one of the rooms there you can see some nice pictures of the new engine. ;)

Nice tread and posts. MA should really do more at the customer wishes. But also i think that they have learn a lot, last some weeks. They do eomon and robo wars. Long time most of us had wishes like this events. And i'm sure they listen to the Forum.:D

But also i think that they have learn a lot, last some weeks. They do eomon and robo wars. Long time most of us had wishes like this events. And i'm sure they listen to the Forum.:D

no

Its a part of whole CryEngine 2.0 implementation process. Your memory seems to be broken, because before CryEngine 2.0 they had a plan to expand, add and develop storyline etc. Its prologue.

Eomons, Robots etc are not here bacause we are impatient and we cry alot on EF...

You know the most likely reason for pushing back the cryengine2 release date is probably the same reason as any. Everything that would probably take one person a day to do would take a whole week to do because they have to get it checked by at least 50 different people before its agreed upon. They could be fixing the tiniest of errors for months and months before its finally released. Why don't they just release it as a beta and then update it like they do anyway.

You just wonder why it takes less than two years to get two whole games out onto the market by ea who make hundreds of games yet a single company who is dedicated to this one game take more than two years. :scratch2:

Sometimes you wonder if ma really give a stuff about the consumer side of the game due to the millions they're making out of it, although obviously they do.. (But all in all it is totally true, companies that suddenly become extremely weathly for some reason don't keep up with the number of customers and cut themselves off more from the public. Wierd thing to do but it's a way of making themselves more productive having to pay less staff.)

No personal opinion there btw.

I think if a whole load of people expressed to MA how they think they could be a little more user friendly then they may actually listen because all the other suggestions that i make are simply popped into some ignore folder somewhere and then i get sent some auto reply saying it will be passed on to someone somewhere. :eek:

I'd like to see the CRY engine EU released in a form where we can try it out and discover bugs without having to give up the current EU. Some sort of beta release would be a good idea, just in case there are major problems.

Looking forward to it....still!

It would be nice to get some kind of updates on the CE2, MA seem to be pretty quiet on that front...given that it should have been implemented last summer...MA should really let us know what is going on and start getting us hyped and riled up!
Frankenberry-NBK Legion

i totally agree with OP. Good points this is exactly what i said in the questionnaire MA sent me by email. Wonder if they actually read all them replies!

Anyway, its simple to do regular updates on progress. However, they care cagey about releasing such info maybe they fear inadvertently they may give clues to how their engine works then their whole EU empire may collapse, or maybe its too costly in terms of collating such info and presenting to public...just a thought would be nice if they replied and said we can't give regular updates because bla bla bla ...even that would be better than nothing

i totally agree with OP. Good points this is exactly what i said in the questionnaire MA sent me by email. Wonder if they actually read all them replies!

Anyway, its simple to do regular updates on progress. However, they care cagey about releasing such info maybe they fear inadvertently they may give clues to how their engine works then their whole EU empire may collapse, or maybe its too costly in terms of collating such info and presenting to public...just a thought would be nice if they replied and said we can't give regular updates because bla bla bla ...even that would be better than nothing

i think that part of it totally is the fear of giving info that could hurt the RCE, that being the case they could at least put up a little image with a % completed for cry-topia. or better yet pop into one of the 100's of threads like this one (this is the best written one ive seen) and give us something, even "hey guys we are still here and working on it! heres another screen of what we are working on."

Totally agree. MA has been making some real progress with communication and making EU better. But they need to still work on not giving themselves deadlines and not reaching them and not saying anything about it.

If i heard right I think there is a press-release comming this week. dunno exactly when this week. But I think there might be some screenshots or video of CE2 with EU.
;)

Back