Merry Mayhem 2008

first i would like to say im glad MA/FPC is making the effort it is at the moment.
like others i feel the medium level is much to large and the difference between lvl 26 and 70 is astronomical.

but for me the most important thing is the problem i have with the rules, i understand that you dont want people hunting 24/7 to win this competition, but if someone wants to spend the maximum time on this event to have a chance to win, they cant just log on to check their auctions,chat with soc or go on a sochunt, if they are a trader they cant trade without risking the chance of breaking the time rules, unless i misunderstand things.

i would advise a ingame scoreboard and timer as the minimum requirements for this event not to frustrate large numbers of players.
a start/stop merry mayhem option on the timer would in my view be the best way to allow players maximum freedom.

i would want to be able to see my relative position in the event at all times.
i would want to be able to see the time spent and time remaining for the day and the event in total.
ideally i want to be able to stop and start my event timer when it suits me.

to me this seems simple to implement on a short timescale
it would likely maximise enjoyment, and maximise participation and competition,which is good for us, and therefore good for you? ;)

Agreed - the middle level is going to be HUGE

Maybe move the middle level starting point to level 40? Or what Lava said.

There is a WORLD of difference between level 26 and level 70

Aye, thinking of what Hally said earlier,
I changed it around to make it fairer in consideration of equipment requirements.

Could I suggest,

Low Level 0 - 24 - Cornundacauda & Exarosaur
Average Level 25 - 49 - Argonauts & Drones (Similar HP) lots of locations
Medium Level 50 - 69 - Ambulimax & Feffoids (Similar HP) lots of locations
High Level - 70+ Chompers & Falx

Prizes,

Low - Boar, Bear, Nemesis or Vigi.
Average - Tiger, Jag, Boar
Medium - LA, Angel, Tiger
High - LA, LA, Shadow

I *feel* that would be more suitable to meet the community's needs in what is realistically achievable within those profession levels. Prizes are fair too into what mobs & HP/PED is involved per kill.

Low - Easily achieved in Shogun and the use of low end plates for the 15 and under players.

Average - Easily achieved using shogun/gremlin & 5B or 6A for drones

Medium - Easily achieved in Ghost (Cold dmg)/Phantom/Ghoul & 5B

High - Well those guys & gals are fairly sorted by that stage in their development as to whatever they want to use.

Low & Average players still in their earlier Virtual Life cycle still getting their equipment together etc would have a really tough time with higher HP/Regen based mobs.

Those that can handle these in the middle range would already have their core armor sets put together, at least ghost if not better and will be already using fairly high dps based weapons (L) or UnL.

Just some random thoughts on it.

Lowered the low level from 0 -25,
Average from 25 - 49 being more balanced considering the skill curve.

Prizes adjusted, which will probably be picked at since some expect Shadow from day one for the level of challenge associated :)

I read that all of you write about Levels and Times... But what aboyt the mob steelers? Can we do something about these guys?

Hi Frank,
We’ve made some improvements on last years event, and want to run this draft by the community to get feedback and have a discussion. Here are the details - we welcome your comments.
it's nice to see that you show improvements, keep on it!

For the feedback:

I appreciate that you have now split the field in 3, which is a step in the right direction. Nevertheless the playing field (except maybe the last tier) is quite uneven since some there are in the posession (or have the funds to buy-in quickly) of high-killspeed items which are basically unaffordable to others, thus it's (as last year) quite pointless for most to participate.

About the mobs (looking at midlevel tire):
Taking the creature health levels from entropiawiki.com in relation to the points per mob it boils down to the following preference of killing them:

Argonaut Scout (83)
Argonaut Hunter (87)
Argonaut Raider (88)
Argonaut Warrior (94)
Argonaut Scavenger (96)
Argonaut Leader (100)
Argonaut Gatherer (100)
Argonaut Guardian (100)
Feffoid Clan Warlord (107)
Feffoid Champion (113)
Feffoid Warlord (116)
Feffoid Hunter (125)
Feffoid Berserker (136)
Argonaut Adult (150)
Feffoid Warrior (154)
Feffoid Raider (180)
Feffoid Guard (230)
Argonaut Young (300)
Feffoid Bandit (315)
Feffoid Outcast (550)

which basically leads to: going for feffoids is pointless (especially since feffs are high-regen).

When looking at the killspeed by taking the weapons listing on entropedia and sorting it by damage/s it's quite clear that joe average can kiss any hope for a price goodby.

There might be some strategies which could up the odds a bit - like employing a fapper or two, and have additional helpers which herde and 'preprocess' the mobs (so that the event participant will only have to do >50% of the damage to the mob, effectively nearly doubling his killspeed) - but since these will be employed by others with high-damage/s gear for sure too...

In that context some clarification of 'killed' would be nice too:
Does being able to loot a creature qualify as a kill, or does the player have to do 100% of the damage?

I know it is hard to create an event for all to participate, especially with the existing setup. It would be nice though to see an event which isn't skewed toward the already having ones.

So here's my suggestion for next year (since i figure that you don't have the code in place to do it this year):

Hand out unampable event guns from the tt, only mobs killed (100% damage to mob) with that gun get the chance of dropping something nice.
You could disguise it as a 'time limited field test of new gear from omegatron corporation' (or whomever) so that you would have an excuse for the guns getting disfunctional after the event.

You could alternatively make the guns (L), non trade and droppable (=same flags as on PED-Card) and hand only 1 to each participant - so you could make sure that the 'the trial period for this item has expired' error dosn't creep into the chat for other stuff because one of your coders makes a typo ;)

Then you would have a motivation for joe average to participate, shoot as much as he can, cause plenty of decay and fill up your pockets for good.

Tussi

Last edited:
Frank said:
MindArk will monitor the competition closely to ensure a fair event for all participants.

Does that mean mob trains for one person won`t be allowed?

Also any hints about this mayhem harness?

And finally 26-70 is way too large. If you are close to level 70 - 100% you can use hl18, cb29, emik x5 (dunno when isis bl1450 is maxed). ~ level 40-50 players with lr63;65, cb26, apis, emik x1 can`t really compete with that firepower.

Does that mean mob trains for one person won`t be allowed?

Also any hints about this mayhem harness?

And finally 26-70 is way too large. If you are close to level 70 - 100% you can use hl18, cb29, emik x5 (dunno when isis bl1450 is maxed). ~ level 40-50 players with lr63;65, cb26, apis, emik x1 can`t really compete with that firepower.

yep 1450 is maxxed before 70 which will gave a whoppin 127 dam sec with a dante on it :)

But it wont come down to dam sec i think

Well done FPC. I am not sure yet if I will be taking part, but this is simply down to timing. This sounds like a great event and I hope I will be able to take part.

I do agree with the suggestions above about splitting the middle category.

yep 1450 is maxxed before 70 which will gave a whoppin 127 dam sec with a dante on it :)

I think double to tripple firepower of a "high level mid level" can make a big difference competing with "low level mid level" :silly2:

Anyway higher dmg/sec has no downsides (besides chance of loosing more peds :D in the event ) so it is an advantage anyway.

Probably right.

Ah well :D

between 26/49 there is a huge diff as well.
50/70 also.

There will always be.
This event comes down to ur buffer, soc, friends and gear/skills

No need to change that for a what tussi suggested imo..

Life Aint fair. And it sure aint easy.
This gives u something to work to.

Reactions: Ozi
some of the things now being asked/suggest will require actual development time. the amount of login time is the same for everyone so its completely fair, if people feel the need to spend an hour in the auction thats their choice. i think the timing between Xmas and new year is great, so many are off work then - its not perfect but there never will be a perfect timing. I actually dont want to know where i am in the leader board, if im 10th half way through the last day or 100th after the 2nd, im going to stop.

best suggestion so far though is some bonus points for globals: maybe double for a global, triple for hof would work well? but then even that might require coding, as it is the scoring is a simple DB lookup and MA might not track them for more than a day.

So here's my suggestion for next year (since i figure that you don't have the code in place to do it this year):

Hand out unampable event guns from the tt, only mobs killed (100% damage to mob) with that gun get the chance of dropping something nice.

BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD idea....this way some jackass only has to run around shooting once on ppl's mob and then that mob wouldnt count
:confused:

BADDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD idea....this way some jackass only has to run around shooting once on ppl's mob and then that mob wouldnt count
:confused:

True. But at least imho a bit better than to not start at all since logic dicates
chance of winning == None with 100% confidence,
for >90% of all active participants.

Tussi

Wait, will we only score points on argo Young, Mature, and Guardians? Or can you assign another category? :D

Also, can we kill in teams? Can team kills count towards 1 person (team leader)?

What time does each 24 hour period start/stop?

No chipping, does that mean we can't chip AT ALL? Not even out?

Last edited:
SH*T F**K P*SS I'm running out of peds :laugh:

Great to see yet another event! :yay:

My wife is gonna kill me for spending tol much time and $$!! :eek:

Great :)

Even better than the event last year!

Gun shortages may be a problem, I hope the drop rate for the looted ones, and the crafters can keep up with demand! :)

Nice event! And a jaguar armor for killing exas :eek: Unfortunately I'm going to be out of town during the event :( But good luck everyone :D

And LOL at thread tags: "argonaut rights" "violation" Since the medium level is going to be a bit crowded I'm sure we can't avoid someone getting concerned about the poor argos :D

I believe that the gap on the so called '71+ Highest Level' is even bigger...

Well yeah LOL but you are only talking about what? 5% or the playerbase??

very nice the event ma but i have some questions
how we can see our points?
is it in every mob that we kill or in every global?
can we play 3 in morning for example and later in afternoon other 3?
can after my 6 hours hunting do something else ingame exa crafting or i have to play only 6 hours?
plz answer!!!!!:D:D:D

I agree with many others here... the medium category will have FAR too many competitors.

Might I suggest 0-29 (low) 30-59 (medium) and 60+ (high)

Not sure if spilliting into 4 categories would be the way to go, either... currently, I sit at the lower end of the medium range (37) and am rather excited at the prospect that I might have a chance to win some uber armor or an LA that I would not otherwise be able to afford.

On a side note... I think one or two of those new LAs North of Segna would be PERFECT for feffs... easy to spot 'em in all that snow!!! :D

Nice event!

Can we have some stats on Mayhem Harness?

Will there be a leaderboard?

Also, like others have said lvl 25-lvl 70 is a pretty broad range. Maybe expand the low-level category a bit, or like others suggested add a lvl 25-lvl50 category. I kinda think putting in weapon constraints may be an idea too, given the significant prizes available in the mid-level category, depending on their skill level it may not be a ridiculous idea for someone with something like Foeripper/Mod Merc/etc to chip down to level 70 for the start. Or perhaps the skill constraint could be based on highest ever achieved profession levels rather than current profession levels?

I think that sould be a place where we can register and start the hunt, because other way we can be just hanging out on twin peaks not killing at all and time counts:S
We have 36 hours off killing that should start when we whant and ends when i whant, other way its realy easy for us to lose track of it! Im on vacation right now so i can do the 12 hours every day no prob in that the thing is that i will not be always hunting and with these rules ill be forced to log out? :confused:

Some place to click to start when i go kill those chompers :)laugh:) and some place to stop it when im tired or bored or with hungry. And if i whant to hang out and kill chompers again without clicking start it will not count to the event !

Merry X-mas everyone

Frank,

You might want to check if the RDI award ceremony date will be compatible with the Merry Mayhem 2008, as participants on the MM2008 will have to opt for not showing up at the RDI award ceremony (well.... at least the ones who have put together all the necessary parts for the PoE).

... Merry Mayhem 2008
Event Dates
December 26th 18:00 UTC until December 31st 18:00 UTC

CDF: RDI Award ceremony
12 Dec 2008

The award ceremony will take place in RDI headquarters in Port Atlantis on Sunday December 28th at 8pm MA time.

nice... a well balanced event for all levels :) like it :) MA shut me up for a bit lmao...

I'm lookin forward to participating... lol...

Although I agree that the mid level might have a few too many participants... but hey ho.. at least they're trying lmao...

WOW
:eek:

but...who and why deleted Exo Stalker land ?! I wanna her/his head delivered today to my apartment

Land Owners, please...make Exo stalker/young LA

some of the things now being asked/suggest will require actual development time.

-snip-

but then even that might require coding, as it is the scoring is a simple DB lookup and MA might not track them for more than a day.

i presume mindark has a team of coders,all competent professionals, they have resources, most of the suggestions i have seen should be trivial to implement, we are talking a scoreboard and a timer?

how long should it take professionals to implement a scoreboard and a timer, 2 man hours? 4? a couple of hours of testing, 2 hours repairing the code they broke while implementing?

we are not trying to put a man on the moon, just some simple scripting 101?
trivial?
i expect to hear by monday afternoon that it is done! :p

It is indeed a huge improvement compared to last year and looking for some community feedback before the whole thing has started makes sense for once.

Like many have pointed out before you will never be able to make an event that suits everybody and that can hardly be the goal, yet this one still got a lot of flaws and i hope some can get sorted out.

The last Marry Mayhem was won by 3 player maxing old style weapons if i remember right, for most people this was to be expected before the event had started and there was little motivation to participate from the start for most mid to even high level players.

This time the first category certainly offers a level of randomness and while a Jag Set is a nice price i don't really expect people to lend a MM to their brother that just happend to started to play, to win it. ;)

The second category already is simply to wide, people at or close to level 70 can't be beaten by people in the mid 50 region like me, whatever i would try.
The choice between Argo and Feffoid is plain stupid, a high reg mob versus a old style mob, forces everybody to hunt Argo, while the other two groups at least get a choice. On top of that i think Argo are way to boring to win a LA with, its no challenge for people around level 70 to kill Argo to begin with.

The last group is even worse, last MarryMayhem people were whining that ubers would win anyway, while i do that too sometimes, i think thats pretty much how it should work.
And while like 90% in the second category stand no chance of winning in this group its probably closer to 95-98%.
So please MA put the real ubers in one group and give some other people a shot at a price too.

This Mayhem Harness looks more like a piece of clothes to me, something like the WoF jackets. If thats the case make them at least bronze, silver and gold for the related categories. ;)
Confirmation is certainly needed before the events starts.
Even in the second category to stand any chance of the TOP 10 you probably have to spend over 25k PED without any markup on limited weapons. People should know exactly what they can win for that amount of money in my opinion.

My last question is why does it always have to be LAs and armor that can be won. Those interesting sets like Angel and Shadow pretty much don't drop in game anymore in fact everything above bear is very very rare already. I rather see 1 set of shadow drop in game form hunting over the course of 1 year instead of giving a set to one person. I won't believe that those sets given out don't have an impact on drop rate there has to be system in place that keeps track of total sets somehow and to me it feels like 1 set given out is one set less to drop for the foreseeable future.

maybe instead of argo/feff, make it maff/feff. Both are comparable in HP and regen. Someone suggested ambu/feff, but I think that the HP for those are WAY out of balance with each other. (ambu young 1010 HP, feffoid outcast 550 HP)

Back