Merry Mayhem 2008: Would you prefer damage done to dictate the amount of points one got for the event?

Would you prefer damage done to dictate the amount of points one got?

• Yes, points should be awarded based on damage done.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • No, the current system is fine as it is.

Votes: 23 69.7%

• Total voters

Ceral

Guardian
Ceral Avarice Altruaer
Copied from a previous post:

If MA wanted to eliminate the preprocessing of mobs and allow people to team up and still be able to score points toward the event, they could count the points of damage done to the required mobs instead of how many kills. Also there would be no debate about maturities or which of the two mob types to hunt for your level. Regen for a mob would not be a problem either.

Instead of the person who does the most damage, just count damage done. E.G. if you do 300 damage to an argo and then get your kill stolen, you still get the 300 points of damage calculated toward your total score. Make the points 1 point = 100 damage or something. Likewise if you KS somebody or have had someone preprocess the mob for you, say they did 400 points of damage, you did 500, you'd only get 5 points for the mob instead of say 9 points under the old system.

I think this would make the event more as "intended".

Now some cons: It would eliminate some of the strategy element to the event. Without the preprocessing of mobs, it would take the advantage away from players who were more organized who arguably work harder and who deserve more to win. And so it would more heavily favor DPS. Other strategies could be come up which also abuse the system. E.G. someone grabbed 6 feffoids and just cycled through shooting them while they regen'd.(In such a case maybe a max of 50 points awarded per mob could be introduced.) Feffoids will be angry.

Terrible idea. It would be possible to just take a few mobs to a remote place and continually shoot till they were at near-zero health, then let them regenerate while working on another mob.

An expensive way to win, for sure, but possible.

The event as "intended", as you put it, is supposed to be about strategy as much as anything else. If someone uses a support team to weaken the mobs, and the rules allow that, I can't see a problem with it. Everyone plays by the same rules.

Well I have a solution for that,
someone grabbed 6 feffoids and just cycled through shooting them while they regen'd.(In such a case maybe a max of 50 points awarded per mob could be introduced.)

Also the whole damage thing shouldn't be hard to code. They already do a compare of damage done when a mob is killed to determine the loot. If they could add that damage done to a variable in the character class after each kill of an event mob, and also do a check so that if damage done exceeds 5000, only add 5000. And at the end of the event just divide the total damage done by 100 to get the amount of points. From a programming perspective, I think it would be easy to do.

Fair enough, I missed that part :D

However I actually think that this would encourage kill stealing, or at least shooting at other people's mobs even without any hope of a kill. If I can score for inflicting damage, why bother to find my own mobs when I can just shoot at other people's and score points?

I think the current system is better. With your method, it's as simple as "who has highest damage per sec wins!".

With the current method someone using an Apis with an awesome support team has a chance to win (mid level I'm talking about, but applies to all levels).

Fair enough, I missed that part :D

However I actually think that this would encourage kill stealing, or at least shooting at other people's mobs even without any hope of a kill. If I can score for inflicting damage, why bother to find my own mobs when I can just shoot at other people's and score points?

True, but they would be forfeiting their ammo for possibly no gain and also be improving your eco ;p

Also under the old system if someone were to ks you they'd get the loot and the points. Under this system at least you still get some points.

Last edited:
I think the current system is better. With your method, it's as simple as "who has highest damage per sec wins!".

With the current method someone using an Apis with an awesome support team has a chance to win (mid level I'm talking about, but applies to all levels).

Well, you would probably still need an awesome support team to win. Someone with a support team picking up their loot, handing them ammo, doing repairs, and bringing in mobs to support them with endless shooting is still giving that person a big advantage.

Bad idea Ceral however I think that for someone to claim one of the prizes they should have done atleast x% of total damage to all mobs killed. For example in order to win you will of had to have done atleast 85% of the total damage to all mobs killed. Would certainly stop support teams pre-preparing mobs.

~Tracer

Back