***WoF 2009 Info & Rules***

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Welcome to the third annual World of Firepower International Hunting Tournament.... otherwise known as;

wof_2009_forum_header_74836.jpg

For those who are new to the WoF, it is a huge and comprehensive series of international hunting matches to decide which Nation is worthy of the coveted title of WoF Champions 2009.

2007: USA
2008: England
2009:?????????

The details;

The Tournament is, as always,
free to enter, and open to all.

Participation may well involve some costs as far as ammo, decay and equipment are concerned, and of course there is the cost of your time.... of little consequence to true patriots:)

Each avatar wishing to participate should first sign up
(with your FULL AVATAR NAME) on the appropriate national team thread in this Sub-Forum; if your Nation of choice is not represented, then you are able to start the thread for that nation. Please keep Thread Titles orderly; the english pronunciation and spelling of each team name, which must include the Nation in question, is required. I only speak one language and I have to know who I'm dealing with.

Teams may be formed to represent ANY recognised nation on Earth, as well as the traditional exceptions of Eudoria and Amethera for those more loyal to virtual Nations. Duplicated teams will be erased/combined in favour of those who have participated in previous years.

On February 24th, Captains will be elected by each team from the names already signed. The Captains will pick a team of 12 hunters from those loyal to their Nation to be that Nation's Main Team. These will face the hardest Mobs and should be able to cope with whatever is thrown at them.

All others who wish to aid the Main Teams will form Support Teams. The purpose of Support is to aid the Main Team through assistance in the field and by hunting the mobs on their own part of the Moblist.

Scoring is acheived through globalling on a list of mobs selected for each Stage; the Moblist. Each moblist will have 7 mobs (4 for the Main Team, 2 for the Support Teams and 1 as a Bonus Mob) apart from the Final, which will feature an extra Mob for support.
Bonus Mobs can be scored on once per team per hunt by either Main or Support Teams.

The dates;

The first matches will start on:

(Saturday and Sunday)

March 7th/8th, with further matches and stages roughly every second weekend until the Final.

The Final will be on:
July 11th.
A full calendar is now posted in the stickies.

There are several Stages the teams must progress through to reach the Final.

Stage 1 and 2 are the Qualifying Stages. Every registered Team conducts 1 hunt in each stage. As with all other Stages, the hunts last 3 hours and begin and end at the given Start/Finish Point for that Stage. Stage 1 and 2 feature different Moblists. The scores from Stage 1 and Stage 2 are added, and the 24 teams with the highest resulting Qualifying Score go through to Stage 3, the first of two Group Stages.

Stage 3: A draw is impartially conducted to place the 24 qualified teams in groups of 4. Elimination matches are then conducted (each team hunts 3 times against the others in the group) and the two highest scoring teams in each group go through to the next Stage.

Stage 4: As above, the remaining 12 teams conduct 3 hunts against those in their new groups (Stage 4 group allocations will be by the same method as last year) until 6 teams remain for Stage 5.

Stage 5: Semi-Finals. Each team condusts 1 hunt against another of the remaining 6; 3 go through to the Final.

Stage 6: The Final. This will be held on Club Neverdie on Saturday July 11th. The 3 teams all hunt at once, and the highest scorers become WoF Champions 2009!

Rules and Info not mentioned above:

Moblists will be posted in their own Sticky Threads here, at least 1 week before each hunt, hopefully the day after the previous Hunt weekend.

Each Hunt starts and finishes at a location given at least 1 week before the day of the Hunt. Some will have facilities, some will not. Most will not be near a TP. Details and Co-Ords will be posted along with the Moblists.

Main Team and Hunt Team:

The members of a Main Team who hunt in any given match are referred to as the Hunt Team. Any Main Team members not in that match's Hunt Team can act as Support.

Maximum Numbers in Hunt Teams will be:

Stage 1, 2, 3+4 : 4 Members.

Stage 5: 5 Members.

Stage 6 : (Final) 6 Members.

Availability allowing, all Hunt Teams will have an embedded Judge. You will be told your designated Judge at the Meet n' Greet.

Meet n' Greet and MIA (Missing in Action)

Meet n' Greet: The Hunt Teams taking part in each match must meet with the Judge before and after each match. Try to show up early. If members of a Main Team are late for the start, they can join the hunt ONLY by turning up at the Start/Finish point and personally informing the Judges. This can happen at any time during the match.
The meet n' greet is when the judge confirms and records the names of the Hunt Team for each country taking part in that match, and joins the team as an embedded Judge.
When this is not possible, Captains will add one of the other Team's Judges to their Friends List and confirm Globals "The Old way". I will do my best to cycle through the teams so no one ends up doing it the old way more than others.
The Old Way is to pm a "got it?" or similar to the judge after each global, who replies with "got it" or similar. This helps make sure no globals are missed. If Captains forget to pm, their scores will still be recorded, but mistakes can be made... (and sometimes globals have shown up in some chat and not in others).

MIA: Any avatar not present within 10 minutes of the end of the match in question will cost a penalty of 10 Points to that Team's score, for being Missing In Action. This rule serves to keep the Tournament running tight and smooth. If server problems affect people from more than one team (i.e. mass ctd) then this will be waived in favour of the Mass CTD rule.

Mass CTD: If members from more than one team and/or judges are drastically affected by server, or other difficulties the Mass CTD may be declared by Judges still present/on their relog. The time of the incident will be logged, rounded down to the nearest 10 minutes, scores at the time of CTD recorded also, and the remainder of the match will be played when all have recovered, or at a later date if another match is waiting to start and there are insufficient Judges.

Those who sign for a Main Team can only change to another Main Team if they have not yet hunted in the Tournament as a Main Team member.

Captains wishing to change their Main Team must present evidence explaining why. Those who have hunted in the Tournament as part of the Main Team can only be dropped or changed with mutual consent of the Captain and the Avatar being dropped, or by a majority vote within the 12 members of the Main Team.

Support: This year, to give more hope to the smaller teams, there will be CAPS (limits) on Support scoring.

For the Qualifiers, the maximum Support score is 100 Points.

For Stages 3 and 4, the maximum Support score is 150 Points

For Stage 5, maximum Support score is 200 Points

For the Final, Support scores are unlimited. (By this time, teams are expected to have gathered larger support than they had at the start)

The Support Mobs will be slightly tougher in general, to reflect the amazing work done last year, with the occasional "Uber" mob to encourage teamwork.

The Support Teams can still be of any size and number, as long as their team names contain the word "Support" and the country name they are supporting. Support teams do not have to be present at the start or finish of the match and can join in when they like.

Kill-Stealing is viewed as hostile and against the spirit of the Tournament. Repeated accusations will lead to investigation and possible action against the perpetrators.

If any team fail to show for a match they are in, their score will be recorded as 0. Their opponents will still hunt as each stage needs a score for the records.

***Rules Update***

Stages (with matches per team) are:

1. Qualifier A: Blue Dawn (1 match against world)
2. Qualifier B: Island Intensity (1 match against world)
3. Group Stage A: The Wild Bunch (3 one-on-one matches)
4. Group Stage B: From Out of Nowhere (3 one-on -one matches)
5: Semi-Finals: OMG (1 one on one match)
6: Final: Thunderdome 3-Way
:)

I don't really want more than 8 teams in any one slot (for the sake of the judges sanity) so I will ask the last to apply to change slots if overcrowding occurs.

Applications for chosen TimeSlots should be sent by PM to me as soon as possible. Please keep re-thinks to a minimum as my PM box fills up at this time every year:)

***Rule Update***

The Bonus Mob now counts for an independent score to be added at the end of the match, and does NOT count towards the Support Team's scoring Cap.

***Scoring for 2009 Update***

Note* Killed when used in the scoring terms means Globalled On.

Each Moblist will have 4 Mobs for the Main Team, 2 for Support and a Bonus that either (but not both) can score on once per match.

Main Team score availability is 5-6-7-8-9-10 (+possible Bonus/Boost)

Support Team score availability is 2-3-4 (+possible Bonus/Boost)

Bonus Mob: 25
The Bonus Mob does not count towards the Support Cap, it is an independent score.

Main:
HoF: Scores that kill as Double.

ATH: Double Entire Final Score.

Support:
Support Hofs will count towards the Support Cap. Support ATH will double the Support Score at the end of the Hunt and can allow the Support score to exceed it's cap.

Main Team Variety Boost:

1 Species killed= 0

2 Species killed= 10

3 Species killed= 25

4 Species killed= 50

Main Team/Support Team "Sweep" Boost (new!)

All Scoring Categories (Species and Maturity Groups, Main AND Support) killed= 25
Globals logged after the Support scoring cap is reached can be counted for this.

Loot Boost: (Group Stages only) Highest TT Value of scored (globalled) loot per Match= 15 Points

Win Bonus: (Group Stages Only) 25 Points
Susan 113 Bonus:

Any Global or HoF of 113 PED scores double points for that kill.

***EXTRA***

Nearly forgot, Support Variety Boost will be:

1 Species killed = 0

2 Species killed = 10

***Hopefully Final Rules Update***

Support Capping: The Variety Bonus, as well as the Bonus Mob score, now does NOT count towards the cap, giving 10+25 points available above the Cap for each Stage. HoFs and Susans do count towards the Cap.

(Cap limits will be detailed in each Match Arrangement post in your Team Threads, as will Hunt Team size and any scoring or spawn information necessary for a fair match.)

Loot Boost and Winner's Bonuses now apply, and will be added last (except if there's an ATH to add) to the Team Total. Loot Boost is won by the highest TT-Value of Globals from a Main Team (if tied Support Loot is used to decide) and Winner's Bonus is won by the highest Team Total in any one match.

I, as organiser reserve the right to pass judgement in undecided matters related to the Tournament. If my actions are seen as unjust I will allow a vote from the team, or teams involved to affect my decisions.

I also reserve the right to add a few rules before the start if it turns out I forgot them:)

....the slaughter of thousands awaits!!!!!

Hurrikane

Last edited:
Awesome work Hurrikane... like always. Now down to business ;).

Sponsors are becoming a big part of WoF; are we to understand that this time, there will be some prizes (other than T-Shirts, which were very cool BTW)?
I'm not expecting a list of prizes... :laugh:... just if there are going to be any.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WoF 2009 :yay:

Erm Hurri I think you probably mean March 7/8 for the first qualifying rounds... your dates are mid-week :)

Finally i was thinking you forgot to start it :D

Cheers
Siam

when is the moblist made?

More specifically do i join team efore mob list orr after that is announced. Not that i'm a coward or anything ut if i see dasps in my supporrt team i'm outta here ...he he

great as always hurrikane! will for sure show up and support sweden :)

Question:

Are we gonna have team rooms again on EF for all of the main teams?

Cheers
Siam

lol stage 6 on CND. neverdie will have to triple the dome surface of the dome for the players. the spown is also not to good there for 3 finall teams and 100 people in suport

nice to see that support will get some more challenging tasks this year :)
support was really bored for most part of last season

HURRY for another WoF!

i do love following this one :yay:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo WoF 2009 :yay:

Erm Hurri I think you probably mean March 7/8 for the first qualifying rounds... your dates are mid-week :)

Erm... lemme get home (still in New York at the moment) and I'll fix all such issues forthwith:)

Awesome work Hurrikane... like always. Now down to business ;).

Sponsors are becoming a big part of WoF; are we to understand that this time, there will be some prizes (other than T-Shirts, which were very cool BTW)?
I'm not expecting a list of prizes... :laugh:... just if there are going to be any.

The T-Shirts from last year are yet to be sent out (apologies to Team England) but expect more than jackets this time around too:)

when is the moblist made?

More specifically do i join team before mob list orr after that is announced. Not that i'm a coward or anything ut if i see dasps in my supporrt team i'm outta here ...he he

Moblists are announced a week or two before each Stage, to keep suspense and anticipation as a factor. Expect hell:) I was so impressed by support's abilities as massed hunting teams last year I decided to give them something bigger to chew on... but I can safely say no Dasps in Support:)

Question:

Are we gonna have team rooms again on EF for all of the main teams?

Cheers
Siam

The Sub-Forum is up and running as of NOW, so if no-one's started your Team thread then do so... as for the private rooms, I suggest you ask 711, very nicely... possibly after he's enjoyed his New Year:)

lol stage 6 on CND. neverdie will have to triple the dome surface of the dome for the players. the spown is also not to good there for 3 finall teams and 100 people in suport

As a two-time finalist, Team Romania should see no problems with either the spawn or the location on the day:)

nice to see that support will get some more challenging tasks this year :)
support was really bored for most part of last season

lol you have to admit though, you do not represent the average Support team member:) There will be ample chance for all to shine, let's say that:)

Hurrikane

Last edited:
Oh OH Pick ME Pick ME!!!!
:yay: :yay:

If anyone is looking for a team player PM me I am open to join a team :)

I have had some contact with people who sort of came to the conclusion that if the current unlimited amount of support players is not changed somehow that it is already a predrawn conclusion that teams like England will win due to the big amount of support they can gather.

Countries that are able to get a huge amount of support players definitely have a lot better chance then the countries who have problems getting together a decent support team at all.

I know that the idea of support teams scoring is to be able to let as much as posible people participate in the event. The issue is that a lot of the smaller countries will get even more problems getting together a decent support team as the people think their chances are pretty much zero anyway.

Mayby their should be only one 12 man (this is the max team size) support team for each country possible. Global screenshots can be used for verification. This would make the scoring chances of all teams a lot more fairer.

You could compare this to a world championship of football were instead of only 11 people on the field we have the entire nations on the field. This gives the nations with more citizens a very big advantage.

I think that if there will be no limitations for support that this could lead to the end of a very fine yearly event. This due that only very few teams will compete.

I hope this post will lead to a healthy discussion about this subject.

Cheers
Siam

I would be a LOT happier with a set of rules in case the Main Team of a country is "down" for technical reasons, as it happened quite a few times last year. This issue made the difference between, let's say 3rd place vs 2nd place ;); I'd like to see something like:

Proposal A:
- if two or more Main Team members cannot log back in, or if the Main Team cannot be re-assembled in 5 minutes, the event is "on break", so no globals will be recorded in that time-frame.

Proposal B:
- every Main Team has the possibility to call a Time-Out for a maximum of 15 minutes, once per Stage
- during this time, no globals are recorded
- a stand-by judge can/might "travel" to where the problem occurs
- the team calling a time-out must provide sufficient proof that technical problems have occurred
- if no proof is provided, the team will be penalized for the first offense, while the second offense might bring disqualification.

This is just a rough idea of some examples; I'm sure that if enough people think this should be implemented, a viable solution can be found. At least, something similar should be implemented in the semi and finals stages.

It might also provide grounds to dismiss (or confirm :eek:) accusations that IP based "manipulations" are occurring.

I agree that this will put more burden on the judges' shoulders, but it's worth it IMO.

I have had some contact with people who sort of came to the conclusion that if the current unlimited amount of support players is not changed somehow that it is already a predrawn conclusion that teams like England will win due to the big amount of support they can gather.

Siam

Those teams who foresee low Support numbers have this forum and 2 whole months to address that fact and recruit, through advertising and posting threads. All teams are in the same boat. For those who think England had an unfair advantage, I must remind you that around 50% of the Forum members, if not the game itself, consists of players from the USA. This did not guarantee a win for them; it didn't even ensure them a place in the final. Organisation is as much a factor as weight of numbers or amount of skills and equipment. However, if there are still concerns about Support, read on:

Support Scoring will be limited in varying degrees towards the Final. This means no matter how big the teams, there will be a maximum amount of points they are allowed to score each match, with more being allowed towards the later stages as Support grows and teams are fewer in number. This helps to level the playing field, while keeping the spirit of the event.

This, and other tweaks to last year's rules, will be set out as soon as I get back to England (hopefully by tomorrow) and have time to get the ball rolling in proper fashion.

I would be a LOT happier with a set of rules in case the Main Team of a country is "down" for technical reasons, as it happened quite a few times last year. This issue made the difference between, let's say 3rd place vs 2nd place ;); I'd like to see something like:

Proposal A:
- if two or more Main Team members cannot log back in, or if the Main Team cannot be re-assembled in 5 minutes, the event is "on break", so no globals will be recorded in that time-frame.

Proposal B:
- every Main Team has the possibility to call a Time-Out for a maximum of 15 minutes, once per Stage
- during this time, no globals are recorded
- a stand-by judge can/might "travel" to where the problem occurs
- the team calling a time-out must provide sufficient proof that technical problems have occurred
- if no proof is provided, the team will be penalized for the first offense, while the second offense might bring disqualification.

This is just a rough idea of some examples; I'm sure that if enough people think this should be implemented, a viable solution can be found. At least, something similar should be implemented in the semi and finals stages.

It might also provide grounds to dismiss (or confirm :eek:) accusations that IP based "manipulations" are occurring.

I agree that this will put more burden on the judges' shoulders, but it's worth it IMO.

I am not enough of a conspiracy theorist to believe that any IP based manipulations would be used to affect the result of the WoF. All teams run the risk of a bad connection or PC problem; as do the judges and myself. That is why the Missing In Action rule carries a lower penalty than the first WoF. When teams are split, the Judges can score the members globals individually until the team can re-form, a method that worked well last year in the few occasions it was needed. There are 87 matches with over a thousand avatars taking part; I will not be putting ANY more burden on the judges shoulders.

Hurrikane

Last edited:
I am not enough of a conspiracy theorist to believe that any IP based manipulations would be used to affect the result of the WoF. All teams run the risk of a bad connection or PC problem; as do the judges and myself. That is why the Missing In Action rule carries a lower penalty than the first WoF. When teams are split, the Judges can score the members globals individually until the team can re-form, a method that worked well last year in the few occasions it was needed. There are 87 matches with over a thousand avatars taking part; I will not be putting ANY more burden on the judges shoulders.

Hurrikane

Thank you for making it clear; in all honesty, I didn't believe you're going to do anything about it, but it was worth a try. Personally I'm OK with what you wrote above, but many aren't. I know... too bad, whiners... etc.
Also, I'm sure many will be quite happy if we don't participate.

I brought this up because my country's team is split 50%-50% as to participate or not this year, and that was one big reason why; I just wanted to know for sure if it'll be addressed or not, since the event costs a lot of money.

Thanks again.

Excited to help my country again this year. :yay:

darri

ill be back in march then :yay:

Thank you for making it clear; in all honesty, I didn't believe you're going to do anything about it, but it was worth a try. Personally I'm OK with what you wrote above, but many aren't. I know... too bad, whiners... etc.
Also, I'm sure many will be quite happy if we don't participate.

I brought this up because my country's team is split 50%-50% as to participate or not this year, and that was one big reason why; I just wanted to know for sure if it'll be addressed or not, since the event costs a lot of money.

Thanks again.

I think 'IP manipulations' is a bit far fetched really. With regards to time out options and the like it'd be pretty hard work to implement, and could easily be abused and used when its not really needed. It'd be pretty hard work to implement a system that'd enable teams to pause when they had connection problems.

Everyone's in the same boat really, we had a match last year where several members of the team had connection problems. I think when it happens you just have to struggle through and do the best you can.

Everyone's in the same boat really, we had a match last year where several members of the team had connection problems. I think when it happens you just have to struggle through and do the best you can.

There were a few matches when Hurri could not stay on at all. In one case he crashed just minutes before the start and his designated alternate had to take over.

...Everyone's in the same boat really, we had a match last year where several members of the team had connection problems. I think when it happens you just have to struggle through and do the best you can.

True. Doing the best you can apllies to the teams as well as the judges ;)

There were a few matches when Hurri could not stay on at all. In one case he crashed just minutes before the start and his designated alternate had to take over.

Very true. I recall a mishap during the semi's (can't remember the team and it is not all that important). Main Team crashed dramatically and we had to get busy until they could regroup. In that case, some were on CP and some were on CND. Was a pain, but it was no ones fault and it all worked out. We judges back each other up and we always will give a team the benefit of the doubt - we never go into a match thinking we need to keep an extra special eye on anyone. We try to plan redundancies into the matches to avoid just that sort of problem. After ya judge 10-15 of these, it is obvious how to make it happen :thumbup:

I think 'IP manipulations' is a bit far fetched really. With regards to time out options and the like it'd be pretty hard work to implement, and could easily be abused and used when its not really needed. It'd be pretty hard work to implement a system that'd enable teams to pause when they had connection problems.

I agree with the IP manipulation; I don't think that was the case, although, some people entertain the idea. Now that MA will be involved in the event... it will only give those people more grounds I believe. I only can hope that their involvement would stop at "observers".

I also agree that this system is very difficult to implement; that's why it is only an idea. I'm pretty sure that we can actually work on it, if we'd really wanted to ;).

About everyone being in the same boat... I don't know. Please allow me to have doubts that if Team England would've had the Main Team down in the final for 30 minutes, your answer would've been the same. It's actually quite funny how easy it is to say "all you can do is... do your best" when it doesn't affect you directly.

In any case, I don't want to get into too much politics; I asked a question, Hurricane was very nice to answer it... so we'll just leave it at that. Better to take all this stuff out before the event actually starts.

Good Luck everyone!

Very true. I recall a mishap during the semi's (can't remember the team and it is not all that important). Main Team crashed dramatically and we had to get busy until they could regroup. In that case, some were on CP and some were on CND. Was a pain, but it was no ones fault and it all worked out.

Yes I remember that one quite well lol.

About everyone being in the same boat... I don't know. Please allow me to have doubts that if Team England would've had the Main Team down in the final for 30 minutes, your answer would've been the same. It's actually quite funny how easy it is to say "all you can do is... do your best" when it doesn't affect you directly.

Well I can remember one match where we had connection issues in the Main Team, one match where all kind of crazy replanning pre-match was going on due to some connection problems some people were having and didn't think they would be able to play, one match where we nearly had no Captain because of power cut, and one match where everything crashed for everyone and it was mayhem for everyone involved.

We were lucky enough to largely get through it unscathed though.

So yes, my answer would have been the same. Don't get me wrong, if we'd have lost 30min in the final and lost because of it, I'd have been whining about our bad fortune for sure. And I'm sorry for you guys to hear that happened, we want to win by playing the best we can, not by the other team having technical troubles. But had it been the other way round, my answer would be the same.

How can the competition be changed to protect against it, and still be fair? If there's a disconnection rule, then a badly organised team that sees its going badly after half an hour all just log out, take time to reorganise and come back half an hour later to resume. I don't see how that's fair either. And it means more work for everyone involved, more waiting, etc.

Anyway, I say 'all you can do is your best' not with reference to what happened to you last year, but with reference to anyone who encounters such problems this year. Which I'm sure will include us too at some point. It wasn't something that happened to just you last year, you just had the most unfortunate timing.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the idea, and if it was a simple thing to implement I'd be with you all the way. But I think its too tough to implement in a fair manner that doesn't cause too much trouble for all involved.

Last edited:
loosing connection, reloggin issues, computer issues.. are all part of it i feel.

Car race, get a tire blowout... your pushed back into the field and have to
get stuck in to win.

Rugby match, your up 2 try's used all your reserves and 3 of you players get injured in a few freaky tackles with 5 mins to go, you gotta now dig deep to keep the lead.

It's what competition is all about, the things that get thrown at you that you have to pull thru and work out and it can happen to anyone at anytime.

aussie.png

Goodluck and may the best AUSTRALIA win :yay:

Reactions: Aly
What kinds of mobs were support teams facing in previous years? If the choices are "more exciting" this year I might sit it out until 2010 :)

What kinds of mobs were support teams facing in previous years? If the choices are "more exciting" this year I might sit it out until 2010 :)

It varies each round, but there is something for everyone. There was no "support team" in the 2007 season, that was new for 2008.

Qualifier 1: Caudatergus and Snarg
Qualifier 2: Attacker and Gokibusagi
Stage 3: Bristlehog and TskTsk
Stage 4: Trooper and Globster
Stage 5: Tripudion and Berycled
Stage 6: Mulmun and Kerberos and Tantillion

Last edited:
Back