FYI: Tamed animals in towns considered exploiting the system

RobVee

Animal Tamer
Society
Shaolin
Rob RobVee Vee
2009-02-17 16:16 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi,

Just because you see other people doing something it's not necessarily allowed. Placing pets in towns is an exploit and is not allowed according to the EULA.

If you give us the names of the pets, owners and where they have placed their pet(s) we will look into it and try to prevent it from happening again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

2009-02-19 17:17 You wrote:

Dear Planet Calypso Support,

Thanks for the clarification. I won't report anyone doing it. It's pretty obvious to see for yourself if you enter any major town.

I'll let the people reading EntropiaForum.com know in a thread in the taming section.

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

RobVee

Wow that is certainly very strange, didn't expect this from MA. Seems the only creative use for pets was using them as ad boards in towns, take that away and pets are back to 0% usability factor...

Can I ask why you would bring this to the attention of Support Dept..? :scratch2:

I would also like to know why it is considered an exploit... makes no sense to me unless they look at it as circumventing the ad system.

Ad system is useless cause u cant use it unless u own an estate. and not every1 owns an estate :(

THIS IS SAD

I must admit I payed once for such add in town, I was a typical customer of this service. Imho, its not a good idea to prohibit such things.

:confused:

This makes no sense to me. :scratch2: Why is this an exploit? Yes, the ad system is the only thing that makes any sense. But, it doesn't make very much sense to me. Very strange. :rolleyes:

Can I ask why you would bring this to the attention of Support Dept..? :scratch2:

Because I was warned about doing this myself by Support via a support case several months ago and I won't risk my account being locked. So, I asked them, just to see if the policy has changed. It hasn't.

I would also like to know why it is considered an exploit... makes no sense to me unless they look at it as circumventing the ad system.

Why does it lag -me- when -you- put on an armor piece, so MA has to charge -you- 1 pec for putting it on?

Because I was warned about doing this myself by Support via a support case several months ago and I won't risk my account being locked. So, I asked them, just to see if the policy has changed. It hasn't.

Fair enough.... but odd that you did not mention this several months ago when you were warned...

Does this mean the Swamp Camp advertising 'moaners and groaners' (Exa, Snable, Daik) are unemployed?

Or are they ok as it's not a town?

:acid:

Fair enough.... but odd that you did not mention this several months ago when you were warned...

Back then it wasn't said as explicitly as in this support case. They said something like "please remove your pets from Fort Argus, we have received complaints about it". So, I did and told some friends ingame about it. I might even have posted it here on EF, but can't find it (just did a small search). Could be I haven't posted it on EF and only told some friends ingame, really don't remember.

Pet advertising is a tricky issue.

On the one hand it is a novel use of a system that was probably not designed with it in mind.
On the other it is easy to wreck the atmosphere of an area with a pile of adverpets, and in the worst case they block travel paths.

Also I believe it is only allowed due to a flaw in the auto-stable system.

If you look near TI Central's revival you'll see a sign of mine asking people to stable their pets. There were several instances where support had to reset Treasure Island to clear away the mass of pets stuck around the revival, blocking movement and generating what is best described as noise polution.

- Deathifier

Thanks for posting.

Thank you for posting this. Maybe the price on whips can go down to a normal level now that more of us can afford! :)

First of all I have nothing against tamers, but the people placing the pets all over the place should really stop doing this. Why?

The pets are often placed on such location that it obstructs normal passage or movement, many times I bump into these pets installed near a TP so I cant move in a direct line to a location I want to go fast to (storage/TT in argus for example) Oh and the pets make really annoying sounds, I guess thats because they are not leveled and have fear or something.

MA should remove the function to rename a pet, and just make it the owners name with the mobs name in behind: "Will Convict Henceforth's Daikiba Mature" (not that I own a pet but for example) This way to use it for add is no more.

WTF how the hell is this exploiting the system?

Looks like MA want pets to be 100% useless :yay:

great idea MA what a great feature ;)

I've never really done much with pets, but don't you have to "bump" them to get them to go into a town? Is this the "exploit" they are talking about?

WTF how the hell is this exploiting the system?

Looks like MA want pets to be 100% useless :yay:

great idea MA what a great feature ;)

• pets were never intended to be ad signs
  • there is already an ad system
  • if you own a pet you know by messages that pets are not suppose to go into towns
  • you have to find gaps in the guard turrets to get a pet into a town. this is "exploiting the system"
  • Pets in towns are annoying as hell!!! Why wont they shut up!!!

I don`t know what they are exploiting other than circumventing the ad system. But the only pain in the as I see is when people do park them right in the way of the trade centers and whatnot. Now that is a nuisance.

dunno if you can call it an exploit, but getting rid of the advertising pets is a good idea imo

first of all, they can make terrible noise, that annoys ppl
second, i wouldn't like an ad everytime infront of my yes, because ads annoy ppl in that manner
third, i wouldn't be surprised if they cause lag, lag annoys ppl
fourth, they are in the way, especially at swamp camp, atm its more or less ok, but there were times when you had an inpenetrable wall of pets to the sweating grounds, that annoys sweaters; not to mention that newbies try to sweat it and get confused, and more confusion for newbies we dont need

you could call it being creative with the options you have, but it got out of hand partially

its not good that pets dont have another use (like bags for them to carry heavy ore of miners ^^) etc tho

It will only be the pushing of a pet into town that is the exploit part, having a pet where it will go freely should not be an exploit. I don't know if any town exists that you can walk the pet into though :rolleyes:

Probably needs a reply to that support case to clarify the actual exploit.

/MP.

If you look near TI Central's revival you'll see a sign of mine asking people to stable their pets. There were several instances where support had to reset Treasure Island to clear away the mass of pets stuck around the revival, blocking movement and generating what is best described as noise polution.

When I saw that sign, what I thought of mostly was pets left behind by AFK/AC skillers who had gotten a disconnect. Especially near a stable.

well, at least MA did something decent.... now remove the equiping decay, and we will be getting somewhere!

It does seem odd to me that pets, that are currently totally useless, are an "exploit" if used for the only thing that they are currently good for, an advertising hoarding....

I must admit I do find it annoying when I arrive at a place only to find it full of "mooing" pets called "Visit-my-shop-dot-com", but that's all it is, mildly annoying. I would not make an "official" complaint about it...

I did like the pet I saw once called "I eat like a horse" though.

I thought level 3 pets would walk into town with you?

Am I mistaken?

If they follow you or walk to where you tell them to go I can't imagine that being an exploit. If you push them where they don't want to go, I'd say that's an exploit.

Even if they do walk into a town on their own though, putting them in a position which would form some sort of barrier, imo, would be griefing.

Perhaps when MA said that there was some exploit it was in regards to a pet being pushed or blocking an area.

I think we need some more information from MA to clear this up.

The pets dont bother me....too much.

I dont think MA's issue is so much the circumvention of the ad system but more the lag and the blocking that pets create. MA needs to fix the lag issue by fixing the lag issue...not making up excuses to tax. So though the pets cause a bit of lag, they just need to fix it with out creative thinking.

The pets dont go in citys, I have tried. If you have a pet in town you went through a bit of trouble to get the pet where its not supposed to be.

Interesting info though, ty :)

(...) I don't know if any town exists that you can walk the pet into though :rolleyes:

The pets dont go in citys, I have tried. If you have a pet in town you went through a bit of trouble to get the pet where its not supposed to be.

Actually there are several towns where you can just let an animal follow you by itself and then tame it inside the town. Thus, not using the 'exploit method'.

Initially when using exactly this non-exploit method (or so I thought, because the normal mechanics allowed me to), I was warned by Support for doing so.

• there is already an ad system

the sad truth all ma has to do is change the name pet feature to completely reduce their usefulness.

don't know this is a bug or not but good that you posted it. at least ma gave an answer.

Actually there are several towns where you can just let an animal follow you by itself and then tame it inside the town. Thus, not using the 'exploit method'.

Initially when using exactly this non-exploit method (or so I thought, because the normal mechanics allowed me to), I was warned by Support for doing so.

I agree, its not an exploit if the areas not off limits to pets. Which even makes it more crappy for MA to make it an issue.

They should apologize to you for not issuing you a comprehensive rule book, then should had told you you were more than welcome to continue to do what you had been doing, till they can issue a patch. Not like you had cracked the system and they had to shut down skynet. This is what I was talking about in in my other post. Instead of making it an issue or making something shity come from it, they need to fix stuff instead of jeopardizing other players accounts because of their(MA) short comings.

We want upgrade - not downgrade..

There are plenty of features which can be abused,
but not everyone does so.. Solution for this one is
quite simple: introduce the same "fear barrier" :scared:

for revivals, as it's already maked for turrets - like
passing some spec. properties of turrets 4r revivals :idea:
Any more ideas for working solution on this issue..? :confused:

Back