Botting miners?

Phoenix

Provider
Society
Synergen
Reya Phoenix Rosario
Here i was hunting E of nymphtown and saw a few bomb marks, and nothing was suspicious untill i saw they acutally make a grid, so i tought, ok, ill learn something if i want to mine one day, but than i realized i was up onto something bigger.

I noticed from high spots that bomb marks make a pretty nice grid, so i went down to buisness, and mesaured it, and was horrified to realize that the grid is actually perfect, each mark is exactly 130 yards away from each other, no matter the elevation, and i automatically tought that it is a bot, i am assured that no human hand could actually land such a perfect grid, stretching all the way from minopolis to nymphtown and beyond.

I tried to bomb the area, and after 26 bombs, all "no resources found" i decided to come here for an anserw, or maybe to show this if anyone else didnt notice it before.

Here are the screenies with marked 130x130 perfect grids so you decide if its a work of a human hand or a machine.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

I think what you are seeing are the edges of a tile of texture. I've dropped many a bomb and probe in EU, and not once have they left any mark on the landscape. Look again and you'll see it's a corner you're standing close to.

Then again, I could be completely wrong :laugh:

Bomb marks ? sounds like part of the graphics to me.

I dropped a few right now, and they leave marks after exploding, even if those are the texture edges it doesnt explain the lack of resources, ill be throwing the remaining 26 and confirm if i dont find anything.

:eek::eek:

:confused::scratch2:

:laugh::laugh:

Those are just the grids of the layout on Calypso, It has nothing to do with "bomb marks". I've never dropped a bomb that "left" a scorch mark before (if that's the case, the land would be littered). What you're seeing is a 'cut and paste' grid that the designers failed to consider before laying out the landscape.

Indeed this is tiling marks you're seeing. The ground tiling is done in layers so it's less obvious to recognize but I assure you that one of those layers repeats every 130m

well, my first thought that it is not bomb marks is the fact many in your first screenie are in the water... as far as I know, you can no longer drop bombs in the water.

secondly, it is easy to grid a bombing area... drop one, count to 7, drop another, count to seven, drop one, turn due east/west, count to 7, drop one, turn due north/south, count to 7.

and, the way I count, is exactly the same, every time

well, my first thought that it is not bomb marks is the fact many in your first screenie are in the water... as far as I know, you can no longer drop bombs in the water.

exactly what i thought, it cant be a bot since you cant bomb under water, so must be a graphic glitch.

Pretty sure if you could leave marks in the ground from mining, we'd see half the well-known miner's names graffiti'd all over the place:)
Maybe with CryEngine (aaaah, the engine) we'll see some opportunity to "write our name in the snow", so to speak.

Hurrikane

Those black marks are just the textures. To my knowledge bombs don't leave marks for very long.

I can understand using an auto clicker for crafting to a degree but using a bot for mining just doesn't seem feasable unless you just want it to drop bombs continuously.

A mining bot would need to be able to recognise and avoid mobs as its no good dropping bombs in an outpost after you get caught by a snable. It would have to find its claims, extract them while avoiding someone elses and spending the next 6 hours trying to extract that instead.

yep those are just land graphic tile edges that were never fixed.
bombs do leave a small scorch mark but it disappears quickly.
you can bomb/probe in water as long as your not swimming, if you to deep and start swimming you can do it, if you can stand up you can do it thats not includeing the teleport glitch thoe, that still does not allow under water probe/bombing.
the can mine your claims if they area underwater thoe.
hopefully ma doesn't remove that or miners who global/hof/ath with a claim underwater will freak out.

this can be simply put... it might not be a bot user but an auto clicker user... at x number of seconds they drop a bomb... and they run in straight lines... etc... i hear of this a lot... even so... it is just a timing thing... they could be there with a stop watch... :) either way there is still risk for the miner...

LOL, nice to see what ideas you guys and gals come up with!!! :D

Once upon a time, long, LONG ago.... Bombs left a mark on the ground that would stay for quite some time... This can be confirmed with others, but this is to my knowledge...

I do not always remember those marks and they were suddenly there after one VU... My thoughts on it were that MA took some sort of copy past of a landscape that a bomb had been dropped on and then pasted it all over the place... Or something like that... At least that was my assumption... :silly2:

And no they do not serve any use in mining! :D

mining did do this years ago but not now. A bot like mmoglider can play for you though it would be a savage ammount of work to get it to work with EU and not worth it imo.

to mine at 130M or any range is kinda easy some count I use a audio file that beeps after 11.5 sec I play in wmp on repeat for easymode brain dead mining.

Yep once upon a time they left scorch marks that anyone could see. So did shooting the ground. They removed them several years ago. Their reason was to reduce server load.

Wonder if we will get some of that back with the CE2 engine whenever it comes. Or at least destructible terrain i hope.

Even if it were bomb marks, it doesn't have to be a bot. Some people precisely grid mine.

In olden days (when you could mine under water and rods was actual rods) bombs did leave marks (probes never did) and it was a lot easier to see where you've bombed before, I miss those days, a lot.

But for a very long time mining bombs leave ZERO mark on the terrain. As for mining a perfect grid, thats what the P button is for, it's not hard to mine EXACTLY on a PERFECT grid if you get practiced in learning to run in straight lines, pressing p and adjusting your position to the exact point. Actually pretty easy and fast to do if you practice.

And yes what you see is flaws in the ground texture MA is using, same with the apparent lines in the ground texture you can see running off infinitely. Ground textures are not very perfect in EU.

mining did do this years ago but not now. A bot like mmoglider can play for you though it would be a savage ammount of work to get it to work with EU and not worth it imo.

to mine at 130M or any range is kinda easy some count I use a audio file that beeps after 11.5 sec I play in wmp on repeat for easymode brain dead mining.

The count method is very inaccurate, the speed you run is variable on your weight and the incline of the ground your running on... pressing p to see your position as you go is far more accurate.

lol, and how you think a "bot" would make such a perfect grid? Try pressing "P" buttton some times... I doubt bot would be able to do it effectively...

And, yes, as mentioned before those most likely aren`t bomb marks at all, they don`t stay for long.

This looks like texture markes. Bombs don't leave marks for a long time. They vanish quickly. Like pits left after drills.

I think using a bot or autocklicer for mining would be very very risky.

Finally!
I can stop trying to figure out how the beep people managed to mine the oceans!

Finally!
I can stop trying to figure out how the beep people managed to mine the oceans!

When you dropped a bomb in water it was just placed on the bottom where you was swimming at that moment, People would just swim along the bottom.

It was nice because you usually found good finds and no mobs to bother you.

like he said you sued to be able to swim all over rivers, lakes and oceans were no rippers were and mining without mob worries and if you found a robot ship underwater the robots died before you ever got there.

and water was very clear you could see a long ways under it. In the older graphic stuff....

ow and don't forget how much faster swimming was, you could still run faster on land but the time lost swimming in water was worth it to keep spiders and other big nasties off yah.

lol, and how you think a "bot" would make such a perfect grid? Try pressing "P" buttton some times... I doubt bot would be able to do it effectively...

And, yes, as mentioned before those most likely aren`t bomb marks at all, they don`t stay for long.

bots for the most part dont take the information for the ui you view, they read the game packets.

You can still mine in water, up to about 2 meters deep I think (at least my avatar has adopted the swimming animation).

Back