Best Vid Card for PE. ATI or NVidia

Westy

Stalker
Society
Antipodean Army
Buster Westy Westmoreland
Ok i've been running Athlon 1.8, a buggy old 32mb nvidia card, 256k ADSL and 768Mb RAM. PA, CP and big mobs starts to get a bit laggy so i avoid those if possible. i'm in a position now to upgrade video to a 128mb card.
My choice is ATI 9250 or Geforce 5200. Any advice on which works better in PE. I will also up my ADSL bandwidth later on. Still on a contract and the higher bandwidth deals still suck at my ISP.

I have a Ati 9800 Pro, i have buy a lot of Nvidia and i prefer Ati :)
So you can buy ATI m8 :tiphat:

depends on what you prefer

higher clock/memory speeds, less memory (NVIDIA)
lower clock/memory speeds, more memory (ATI)

i prefer NVidia, high clock speeds rock every games ass

ATi is somehwat more concentrated on modifying home video etc

but thats how i look at both brands... your choice, best to test both yerself if you have the money.

I have a pc for my vids, uses ATI. My game pc uses NVIDIA, which has better preformance for my games

nVIDIA ftw but for PE specifically, get ATI ... a lot of people get bugs using nVIDIA drivers.

ok its looking like i can get a ATI 9250 with 128mb for a pretty good price. About $50 USD. Its a Gigabyte Card so i feel the quality is acceptable. Will try for a 256mb but the budget might not stretch. My other option is a Nvidia FX5200 for about $10 more.

Westy said:
ok its looking like i can get a ATI 9250 with 128mb for a pretty good price. About $50 USD. Its a Gigabyte Card so i feel the quality is acceptable. Will try for a 256mb but the budget might not stretch. My other option is a Nvidia FX5200 for about $10 more.

If you go with the NVidia FX5200 look for the Limited or Special Edition, don't remember which. I bought it and you get double the ram for a few bucks more. I haven't had any problems with this card. Here is a link to the card , and its only 55 bucks plus shipping.

forget both :)
get nvidia 6200 or 6600 agp version

fx5200 has direct 9 capabilities but sucks at it
and 9250 only 8.1 capabilities

i used fx 5700 for PE and it sucked near the water with the new PS2 effect enabled

get a 6xxx nvidia card are affordable better then what ati has to offer at that price range, and DX9 performance rocks

i can get a 6200 with 256mb for about 130 usd. so i might go that path then. be a bit more future proof then. thanks to all who replied.

Westy said:
i can get a 6200 with 256mb for about 130 usd. so i might go that path then. be a bit more future proof then. thanks to all who replied.

good choice

6200 is infact 6600 gfx card with 4 pipelines disabled
you can enable them theoreticaly using riva tunner for ex
so you can benefit the whole 8 pipelines. That`s serious perfomance booster :)

and i got my exchange rates muddled there. 100 AUD or about 75USD for a 6200. So only about 30 Aussie more or about 23 USD more. so seems worth it to me. thanks again all.

NVIDIA GeForce Go 6800 Ultra :nana:

I have now a bit oldish Ati 9600pro (Hercules :D ). Perfectly capable to handle PE.

Tbh.. PE isnt that demanding on the gfx card.. Runs just as well on a Radeon 9800 as a Geforce 6600.. Atleast in a 2.8Ghz machine with a 1 Gb memory..

i bet i got the worst vid card for pe...

GeForce mx/mx 400 LOL

you should try an ATI, got one of those and i'm playing w/o problem (rarely got CTD)
Radeon 9550 - 256mb

Either one will work fine I believe. It's a matter of taste. Though I have gotten to like Nvidia more then ATI and buy mostly Nvidia cards now days. ATI used to be great, but I think Nvidia will run over them pretty hard in a near future.

It all depends on your budget, but if you are going to buy a videocard go for the one that supports Pixel Shader 3.0s/DX9.0 . Nvidia has a nice line of cards for that.

Nvidia is on the lead right now. If you want the best card then go for Nvidia.

I have an X1800 XL (575/550) 256MB. It handles PE almost twice as good compare to my old X800 Pro. That's with 6XAA/16AF on. I get 60-140fps on normal loads and 20 fps on heavy areas like PA and Twin Peaks.

Absolutely ATI, i own radeon X700 256mb and this is rules, no problems at all, only sometimes small lag when im on PA or in huge mob spawn.

I've been runing ATI just fine, first my old 9800pro and now X800XTPE (well, when i started playing PE i used geforce3 ti200, that ran fine too as long as there were not too much vegetation), though i'm about to upgrade again and this time i'll go for nVidia eventhough ATI's new X1900 has just hit the streets, i'm upgrading my AGP mobo to PCI-E, i'll just get a nV 7800GT for starters as nV has their new 7900GTX coming in March.

So im not getting their current flagship 7800GTX 512mb now but waiting until march for their 7900GTX which will rock enormously, clocked at 750Mhz, and it's said that that new card will be just as good as the 7800GTX 512mb if it's only clocked at 430Mhz, so 750Mhz will be so much better, so for now i just get the 7800GT which is still a little better than my current X800XTPE.

If you're not going high-end i can suggest ATI 9800pro or XT, cheap nowadays if you can still find one and runs PE just fine with no problems.

i thank you all for your replies. The $$ constraints will mean i might have to forgo some of the bells and whistles of having a 6600+ series card. I am heartened to hear the Radeon 9550 user is happy because that is more my range. lol. So i have decided to go the 9550 for now due to $$ limit. When the $$ permits i'll get something nicer. So in the meantime i won't waste too much money. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement on my 32mb geforce mx 100/200. Even that was better than my onboard SIS chipset. lol.

Westy said:
i thank you all for your replies. The $$ constraints will mean i might have to forgo some of the bells and whistles of having a 6600+ series card. I am heartened to hear the Radeon 9550 user is happy because that is more my range. lol. So i have decided to go the 9550 for now due to $$ limit. When the $$ permits i'll get something nicer. So in the meantime i won't waste too much money. I'm sure it'll be a big improvement on my 32mb geforce mx 100/200. Even that was better than my onboard SIS chipset. lol.

Go have fun then, I'm sure the 9550 will do its job in PE

btw 6600>6800 why? i dont know... just preforms way better in games

Well for those interested i had to wind my budget right back. Needed the $$ elsewhere. So i went for dx9 compatibility in a nvidia form. And i came out with Gigabyte FX5500 128mb for about 50usd. I found that ATI 9550 was tested as no better than this card and it was about $20usd more. And the performance has been quite acceptable. Given i was running geforce mx200 32 mb before. When the $$ roll again i'll take some of all ur advice here and get some nice hardware. But i get to see the grass wave in the wind now. the running is smooth and not jerky. makes first person/aim mode much more useable. OK thanks again all.

Back