Not all trade is fair.... (true story)

Hurrikane

Slayer
Society
GloryHound Irregulars
Oscar Hurrikane SkyQuake
Another thread prompted me to write down the details of a RL incident 3 years ago, in order to depict my feelings towards resellers in-game and otherwise. I apologise for the long post.

A story:

My wife-to-be's 30th birthday was coming. I was working in London and saw an advert for a west-end play starring none other than Kevin Spacey. I was in Piccadilly Circus where I saw several vendors selling tickets to west-end shows, so I looked and asked a few of them and found the Play was sold out that saturday (this was 2 weeks before). Passing by the guys in mobile kiosks, I saw one that looked a little more legitimate; a small shop yes, but the address was 1 Piccadilly, and they had a sign and everything. The friendly chap behind the desk phoned someone and told me they could get me tickets for the night I wanted, 3 rows back from the front and in the centre. The cost would be twice the original price, making them £90 each. I'd heard of people paying lots more for a sold out west-end show, and I was earning enough to make £180 seem a good price for the smile my g/f was gonna have on the day.

First warning should have been the guy saying I would pay up front but collect the tickets on the day, 2 hours before the performance. I took a receipt but still worried they wouldn't be there.

The day of the show, we drove into London (125 miles), and made our way to Piccadilly to get the tickets, dead on time.

The friendly guy was there, our tickets were there, but there'd been a problem; they couldn't get the tickets I paid for. They got ones higher up in the theatre. I mentioned he'd phoned and confirmed the better tickets 2 weeks before. He told me as they were harder to get than he thought, they should be even more money, but he was letting me have them at the same price I'd paid because "we'd driven all that way". Nice guy. I really didn't notice at the time that he took the envelope with my receipt and kept it.

We jumped on the tube towards the theatre. As we walked the last part, I got the envelope out and had a look at the tickets. They said a couple of things I didn't like the look of; "Restricted View" and "£10". I started to get a bit annoyed.
We got to the theatre and I went to the lady on the desk and asked her what she could tell us about the tickets; how restricted was the view?

She then told us that the tickets were bought that morning, on the door for £10 each. The show had never sold out, despite 4 different touts in Piccadilly telling me it was. She told me as I was leaving that they would help with any complaint against the Tout in question, but they didn't hold out much hope of us getting anything done about it. That didn't bother me as much as it should have. I'd already given up on the idea of watching the play and was steaming towards the tube to try for some drama of a different sort.

On reaching the booth the guy read the look on my face and took a step backwards from the desk. I fought to not call him all the names under the sun and demanded a refund for wrecking my g/f's birthday. I told him I was aware that tickets cost more for sold out shows, but I was not going to pay someone £160 for getting a tube to a theatre and back. I demanded my receipt from him too, which he pretended to look for for so long I threatened to jump the counter and find it myself. Then I did call him all the names under the sun.

After a good half hour of shouting at him and turning everyone who came to the shop away as politely as possible, he phoned his boss. I gulped a bit. These guys were basically organised crime, right? Who the hell was going to show up? What had I got myself into?

Ten minutes later a skinny frenchman in his twenties showed up. Tossing a huge bunch of keys in his hand, he told me and my wife that we were suckers, this is what they did, there was no refund, no way of getting the money back, this is how it works in the city. His shirt looked more expensive than my car. My g/f went away to try and find a policeman while I argued some more.

The french guy got tired of bragging and announced to his employee he was leaving, at which point I snapped a little and reached out an arm which succeeded in throwing the guy back into his shop, ripping his shirt in the process. He tried to leave a few more times, but was met with a wall of me. He then announced he was going to charge me with assault, and phoned the police himself. I told him if I was going to get done for assault then I might have to assault him. All the while telling me, there is no money for me, no play for me, I am wasting his time and my own.

He tried to leave one last time and I put the palm of my hand up. I was very surprised when my hand touched his chest and I felt how fast his heart was going. It was racing. I hadn't a clue, but I'd scared him. I didn't really feel like doing anything particularly violent but he evidently thought I did.

It was then I got some new confidence in the situation. I would win somehow. Just before my g/f turned up after not being able to find a policeman herself, I lunged out and swiped the big bunch of keys from his hand.
The look on his face told me so much. Those keys were important.
Now I'm no trained fighter or bodybuilder or anything but one thing my job had given me is a good grip. The french guy had a go at prying my fingers open but I was able to laugh back at his fruitless attempt. Taking the initiative I marched from the shop threatening to throw them over the roof or down a drain.

The last thing I heard him say before the police arrived was to his employee; "Ok, give him the f@cking money".

The first thing the policeman said was "Give me the bunch of keys."

I was a bit dismayed at this point. I had him, I'd got the result I wanted; nearly. Now all my bargaining powers were being handed to the policeman and back to the french guy as his employee kindly informed the policewoman also there that I'd threatened to do everything short of bury them in Hyde Park. With no receipt, I couldn't even prove I'd given them any money. My g/f was calmly explaining to the cop what had happened while I shouted the odd defence statement towards the spiralling tale of chaos the touts were telling the other cop.

After questioning us all for a few minutes, the cop had a quiet chat with the touts, then came back to us.

"How about this", he started.
"The money back; and the tickets. If you run you can still catch it."

I looked at my watch and he was right; the curtain went up in about 20 minutes and the theatre was exactly 12 minutes on the tube (we'd timed it on the way in). I contemplated kissing the policeman, but kissed my g/f instead. Then I had the supremely satisfying moment of the french guy counting out £180 for me. I slapped him on the shoulder (as hard as you can when the cops are there) and said "Worked out all right, didn't it?" with as big a smile as I'd ever smiled.

We blustered back to the theatre, waved the wad at the lady on the desk (who was amazed) and found our seats; they were restricted view, but nothing leaning forward couldn't solve. It mattered little; as the curtain went up we were both so elated it wouldn't have mattered if we got the wrong theatre entirely.

I'd like to apologise to Kevin Spacey for my mobile phone going off just as he took the stage (the ringtone was Ethan Supplee's AAAAGGGHHH at the magic eye picture in Mallrats) and also compliment the man on being a master of his craft. I'd never seen a play I enjoyed as much as that one.

My advice is this: Always phone the VENUE for tickets. If they're sold out, stay home. If it was that important to go, you'd have joined the fan club/mailing list and got the tickets in time.

Ticket Touts buy up tickets, charge huge amounts above retail price and decieve and rob the public. Never ever use one. Ever. Find dog poo and throw it at them and their stinking shops yes, buy tickets from them no.

And that is why I hate resellers:)

Hurrikane

I'm glad it turned out alright :) I thought you were going to get arrested!

Isn't revenge sweet? Gratz on your refund :rofl:

nice story to read with morning coffee ^^

And that is why I hate resellers:)

i just cant agree with it :p

not going deeply into discussion who is reseller and who is not (street traders, auction traders, estate traders, etc etc) i suppose that if your friend is buying something cheap and selling more expensive in any way you likes him, others you hate :D

nice story to read with morning coffee ^^

i just cant agree with it :p

not going deeply into discussion who is reseller and who is not (street traders, auction traders, estate traders, etc etc) i suppose that if your friend is buying something cheap and selling more expensive in any way you likes him, others you hate :D

Got no gripe against traders. Resellers is a term that is used derogatively to describe those traders who choose to act in an underhand and/or deceptive manner. I was just highlighting one area they proliferate (Touting)

Hurrikane

Got no gripe against traders. Resellers is a term that is used derogatively to describe those traders who choose to act in an underhand and/or deceptive manner. I was just highlighting one area they proliferate (Touting)

Hurrikane

clear now, thx for explaining ;) that guy you have met was scammer, criminal, lets use these words :D

regards,
Hetman

moral of story:

ticket tout = reseller = crook

Glad it worked out for you and thanks for sharing.

Great story Q...

It doesn't surprise me that you had no idea that the guy may have been quietly peeing in his designer jockeys, as you are a Supremely Nice Bloke (until it's time not to be, of course;)). But you are also a Supremely Tall Bloke, plus you have that whole Metal thing going on... :headbang:

I've no doubt you can be highly intimidating when you need to be.

Great work on sorting the situation out, and not taking any Shit :thumbup:

That's so spooky!! Was this about June 2006 by any chance?

I just happened to be in London, walking through Piccadilly Circus on my way back to Charing Cross Station, and I saw somebody having a barney with a scrawny french sounding ticket guy... Probably somebody else, but wouldn't it be weird if it was you?!

Those people are scum, that's for sure. Where there's demand and the chance of making an easy buck, people will give it a go and screw the consequences. This is why it's been so difficult getting tickets for any gigs for the past few years, and also why prices have sky-rocketed.

But, the thing is, anyone who buys from a tout is just as bad as they are. If nobody used them, they wouldn't bother doing it, and the world would be a better place...

Or at least the touts would find some other scum sucking way to make a living :D

Good on yer Hurri, respect! :bowdown: :thumbup:

Not all French guys are bad people by the way. :whistle:

ah, that thread remembered me about TV Show I used to watch on BBC

"The Real Hustle" http://www.bbc.co.uk/realhustle

if you haven't watched that serie it shows ways of how all bad ppl work to grab your money in any way (basing on situations arranged by main characters, in UK), may be worth to learn how to not become scammed ^^

Great recount!
Not the best way to handle the situation but turned out to be the best ending possible. Money & Tickets, even if wasn't the best seats.
Ripping the guys shirt, Kudos!, making his heart race like he'd run a marathon, Kudos!
Never let anyone scam ya out, always persist. :)

It's good to hear that you solved that out Hurri :)

If something like this had happen to you in Romania, you'd probably had your ass kicked by one or two muscle packed gorillas as soon as you first touched that "boss". By the time the police would arrive, they would have been long gone.

lol, good thing that guy was armed nor backed up by his friends. Glad it turned out ok. I wouldnt do anything with those low class guys atleast not with loved ones around. Just not worth it, u take the keys and they could take hostage. I may sound wussy but thats how it is, safety first.

lol, good thing that guy was armed nor backed up by his friends. Glad it turned out ok. I wouldnt do anything with those low class guys atleast not with loved ones around. Just not worth it, u take the keys and they could take hostage. I may sound wussy but thats how it is, safety first.

Agree... a sane person... a law abiding person... would have gotten the policewoman first... before confronting anyone... very, very, lucky... no one got hurt... "H" could have... should have... been arrested... for assault... would have loved to hear the... "I'm sorry your honor... but I just quit smoking" defense...:laugh:

Last edited:
Hopefully this taught him a lesson ... at least he got ripped his shirt in half and "had to" pay you the tickets, well done! ... on the other hand, be very glad that he wasn't armed or had a few "employees" guarding him - that would have been a rather painful experiance then.

Or like Borat would say "Great success! Very nice, i like!" :laugh:

lol.

LOL. Moral of the story: Don't try to go to a street vendor... same moral can be applied to EU. Instead, go and look at some reputable shops and booths. Often, you can actually find better deals in shops in EU than you can on auction or in street seller's inventories. Did I mention that I have some ghost armor in my booth over in Omegaton, Delta, Booth 3? It was listed below market when I put it in there. I think it's still below MU, but am not 100% sure on that since MU changes so much on a daily basis.

;)

With your story you put the finger on the problem. First you where ready to pay 200% for the ticket, it was only when you realized you payed 2000% for a shit place you got angry. So untill really fooled most people are ready to pay the owerpriced stuff....

Great story and gla dit turned out well for you. A nice lesson to learn for all.

WOF 2010!!

Drop your laser rifles and start pumping iron!!

Those bastards at the kiosk are gonna get smacked a good one!!

Biggest bruise wins the event!!!

I know the area you wrote about, H. on my first visit to london, I walked through there and asked my husband if this was a good way to see a show.

he gave me one of those "are you insane" types of looks. he then explained how the touts work to separate you from any cash you have and how tourists are their favourite mark.

all-in-all, it's a sad state of affairs.

Great story Hurrikane,Glad everything ended well. :)

What a great story, you write well :wtg:

Thanx for sharing, in those situations I sometimes wish I was a man, good for you for going back!! :thumbup:

Sorry, I can't applaud you as a hero like so many others seem to. The problem is when you physically assaulted the guy YOU became the bad guy in this story. Yes, you were taken advantage of (through your own naivety tbh), but that doesn't excuse assault.

Sorry, I can't applaud you as a hero like so many others seem to. The problem is when you physically assaulted the guy YOU became the bad guy in this story. Yes, you were taken advantage of (through your own naivety tbh), but that doesn't excuse assault.

LOL.

I'd like to think the reason people shouldn't provoke others to violence is because it hurts, and it's something to be frightened of.

I refrained from actually assaulting him, my girlfriend was there. The policeman told me I had exercised reasonable force in detaining him, and had more than enough motive to do more; it was the restraint he saw being exercised that turned it my way.

I'm not a violent person and I don't mean to brag here, it was a rare occasion where keeping angry got the job done (along with the calming factor of my girlfriend). I just wanted to let people know they don't always have to end the day a victim.

Hurrikane

P.S. On the subject of naivety; I see a lot of people who have been robbed, scammed or conned get called naive, like this is their fault in any way. The ONLY person to blame in a crime is the person committing it. I know people will say it's a tough world and it's dog eat dog, gotta keep one step ahead, but no, I don't. I expect people to be honest and get angry when they don't. Sometimes that works. Sometimes it's better to deal with the problems that come instead of worrying about those that might.

Last edited:

Fully agree…. Actually the story beginning to turn a bit strange

“I refrained from actually assaulting him, my girlfriend was there.
“My g/f went away to try and find a policeman while I argued some more”

The policeman told me I had exercised reasonable force in detaining him, and had more than enough motive to do more; it was the restraint he saw being exercised that turned it my way.”

My dad is a 20 year veteran of the New York City Police Force and no policeman worthy of the position would have told anyone that... especially if there was a pending assault and battery* charge… involving a ripped shirt… on a victim… doing legitimate business... from a store... who in self-defence… had to call the police

”Ten minutes later a skinny frenchman in his twenties showed up. Tossing a huge bunch of keys in his hand, he told me and my wife that we were suckers”…(doubtful he used that word) “this is what they did, there was no refund, no way of getting the money back, this is how it works in the city…”

It is how it works in the city and any New Yorker or Londoner who goes to the theatre knows that advanced sales are cheraper and best done at the box office or ticketron or on the web… and all sales are final… from the story it seems like they tried to accommodate him (after everyone else… who didn't rip him off... "touts" without a store… told him the show was sold out…) by going to a known secondary source probably a scalper… that’s why the price would have been more than what the “nice man” had originally offered… in the end the deal fell through and the “nice man” went to the show in the morning to get what are called twofers in N.Y... usually available the day of the show… to honour his end of the deal by getting "legitimate" tickets.

”I'd already given up on the idea of watching the play and was steaming towards the tube to try for some drama of a different sort.”

He went looking for premeditated excuse to fight…

”The french guy got tired of bragging and announced to his employee he was leaving, at which point I snapped a little and reached out an arm which succeeded in throwing the guy back into his shop, ripping his shirt in the process. He tried to leave a few more times, but was met with a wall of me. He then announced he was going to charge me with assault, and phoned the police himself. I told him if I was going to get done for assault then I might have to assault him. All the while telling me, there is no money for me, no play for me, I am wasting his time and my own.”

I’m really shocked and saddened that the police didn’t arrest him…right off… as there was both evidence and a witness to an assault and battery… probably because the owner was to terrified to press charges. A message needs to sent to all those who believe that it is OK to use violence and threats of violence to get your way that it is not acceptable crimminal behaviour… we need zero tolerance in these matters…and the police failed in their duty to protect the public… as we see now it becomes a bragging story of how to get things done… and will eventually lead to more violent acts… and what even saddens me more is the knee jerk support given here for this type of criminality… if you want to know why there is violence in society here is the perfect example...

*For those who are interested the assault was the verbal and threatening behaviour and battery was placing the hand on his chest and ripping his shirt… there is also stealing the keys… and restraining person looking to leave a dangerous and violent situation…

No wonder the world is all messed up. Criminals have morre rights than genuine honest people. The criminal in this story to my mind is the ticket touts and not hurri.

The police officers decision I think was fair. Would be better in my mind if they could lock up the touts in the first place.

However, i take your point brooklyn about violence breeding more violence. In this case though there wasn't really any excessive violence or anything of that nature. Pointing the finger at hurri for assualt in this case is not quite right in my mind. This is how things are all "whacked" up...in someone else's story the "hurri" person would be prosecuted as a criminal and the real criminal well apparently he's not a criminal in this modern world. Which is why i say things a "whacked" - upside down.

reminds me of a newspaper story I read not so long ago. A teenager was being offensive and showing bad ehaviour. There was a police officer there. Since the police officer knew he couldn't smack the teenager as people would do in olden days he picked him up and put him in a bin. Fair enough I would have thought we need to put these teenager right and good job someone stood up to this teenager. Well it turns out the police officer was prosecuted and became the criminal. That is all wrong in my books. This is why we have such a big problem with bad behaviour from youngsters. Anyone who stands up to it is the one who gets done for it and the original culprits are free to continue their legacy of bad behaviour...

Back