The Hunt for Gollum ~ 3rd May 2009

Ooooh, interesting...

Did I read "only online"?

Even so, may have to give this a look...

I am sure there will be an option to download at the same time :)

I did not poke around too much other than watch the trailers... for an independent film it looks freaking great!! Thanks for the link :thumbup:

How do they get past the copyright issue with this I am wondering?

Looks very cool

Bones

I did not poke around too much other than watch the trailers... for an independent film it looks freaking great!! Thanks for the link :thumbup:

Unfortunately with low-budget films a great trailer doesn't always make a great film. In fact very often a great trailer isn't even followed up with a film at all.

Usually with these things they film the trailer without doing the rest of the film, using it as a means to pitch for funding. Lots of work gets put into it, often with experienced and talented people working on it for free, in the hope that they will get someone to plough in thousands or even millions of dollars to make the proper film. Almost invariably the funding doesn't materialise, the pros jump ship, and the film, if it gets made at all, ends up being a million miles away from the original vision in terms of quality and production value.

I don't want to judge it in advance, but 99.9% of ventures of this type are utter shite, so I wouldn't get your hopes up.

How do they get past the copyright issue with this I am wondering?

The traditional method is to ignore it and hope no-one bothers to sue.

Actually Oleg it has its release date for next week at a major film show in London, which would usually mean they have something to show for it :silly2:

Bones, there aren't usually any copyright issues for fan films or fan fiction as they are usually non profit, and even so a small statement at the bottom saying you didn't devise the entire lot yourself is sufficient lol

And low budget doesn't always mean crap, there was an Indiana Jones one made once that even had Spielberg writing to the makers of it congratulating them ;)

http://www.fanfilms.net/

Thanks for the input and the link Sparhawke

Bones

I dunno about this one. I'm a huge fan of the films themselves, but to watch this looks to be like going to watch someone doing karaoke after you've just been to see Iron Maiden play a belter of a show. Even if their intentions are great, I can't see how a load of long shots taken from the trilogy itself and what looks to be the stunning action of a walk through the woods (broken up with one Orc-fight) can really achieve, and it doesn't really grab me. It does look like they did a good job of those Orcs, as they didn't seem cut out of Peter Jackson's footage like the other familiar elements. But just a well-made-up Orc doesn't get this bum on a seat.

Hurrikane

Actually Oleg it has its release date for next week at a major film show in London, which would usually mean they have something to show for it :silly2:

I don't think Sci-Fi London is a particularly major event, but even the big international film festivals have very low-budget and low-key screenings, it's not really a big thing.

Bones, there aren't usually any copyright issues for fan films or fan fiction as they are usually non profit, and even so a small statement at the bottom saying you didn't devise the entire lot yourself is sufficient lol

Profit has absolutely nothing to do with copyright. It may have a bearing on whether anyone chooses to pursue the case against you, but a breach of copyright is a breach of copyright no matter what. A disclaimer doesn't help in any way whatsoever, except possibly to show good will towards those whose copyright you are breaching.

Unfortunately there are lots of these stupid myths about what you are allowed to do and not do, which people with no understanding of intellectual property law perpetuate, like you have here.

There's a guy who lives near me who used to make Doctor Who fan films, at the time when there was no Doctor Who on TV. No-one cared until the BBC decided to relaunch the series, and at that point they told him to stop doing it or they'd take legal action. That's fairly typical - what it comes down to is not whether copyright is being breached, but whether anyone cares enough to do anything about it.

And low budget doesn't always mean crap, there was an Indiana Jones one made once that even had Spielberg writing to the makers of it congratulating them ;)

http://www.fanfilms.net/

Absolutely, there have been some amazing films made with very low budgets. One that springs to mind is 'Clerks', one of my favourite films ever which was made with almost no money at all. 'The Blair Witch Project' was famously made for only a couple of thousand dollars or something. Generally the good ones are the ones that make a virtue of their small-scale nature. The ones that try to be ambitious with amazing special effects and so on, usually turn out shit.

Unfortunately most of the people who make these things (particularly in film school) generally go the second route.

Absolutely, there have been some amazing films made with very low budgets. One that springs to mind is 'Clerks', one of my favourite films ever which was made with almost no money at all. 'The Blair Witch Project' was famously made for only a couple of thousand dollars or something. Generally the good ones are the ones that make a virtue of their small-scale nature. The ones that try to be ambitious with amazing special effects and so on, usually turn out shit.

Unfortunately most of the people who make these things (particularly in film school) generally go the second route.

I think Blair Witch cost $30k, which was probably the cost of the LOTR's on-set sandwiches for a day.

You missed Bad Taste; great effects and no budget:) Just took him 4 years, lots of mates and guns made of Femo lol

Hurrikane

I think Blair Witch cost $30k, which was probably the cost of the LOTR's on-set sandwiches for a day.

You missed Bad Taste; great effects and no budget:) Just took him 4 years, lots of mates and guns made of Femo lol

Hurrikane

Yeah, Bad Taste is a great film, and is a good example of what I mean when I talk about setting out to make your low budget a virtue, not a restriction. Peter Jackson used bottles of ketchup and papier mache - nowadays film students are more likely to try to do everything with CGI and pyrotechnics, which is where it usually goes wrong.

The old maxim "Keep It Simple, Stupid" is one that tends to be forgotten in film school, in my experience.

Back