Mining Skills Matter Competition I

Unlocking Enmatters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
:yay: I openly admit that i've been (partially) disproven - with the right finder it is possible to find oil there above level 20.

+rep to you, leona, for an indisputable proof that the finder will matter more than expected.

Now to your posts...

My skills are publicly available at entropedia, but to answer anyway - both, surveyor & prospector are above level 30, so i consider myself not a total noob.

The main thing that bothers you seems to be that i don't take your input into account as you would expect from someone trying to run a scientific evaluation - yet you do exactly the same regarding "ore borders".

As you finally decided to follow my advice, go and re-check your own "facts" - im sure with the same finder, you can find oil way more south, so it's not an effect of the near "ore border" - and maybe try finding oil with a Tik200.

As your results totally defeat the purpose of this challenge (it seems anyone will find oil with a TT finder there), i have no other option but to close it - or it'd end up in a "how many millimeters progress bar left to lvl 20" challenge.

I will not yet close this thread (only the competition), to be able to keep up the "ore border" discussion, but:

Official "Competition closed" post.

Giving all the prizes to the only valid entry (2 valid entries, but same person) appears to be a bit unfair, as Leonas input was above level 20, yet the most useful.

I'm open to suggestions, a 50/50 split seems fair (but would violate the rules)

Maybe Leona and Wolverine Queen state their view on a fair prize distribution.

Last edited:
Ok, lets see what we have so far and if i understood you right wizzszz.

You claim: Above an certain pro standing one doesn't get any of the "bad" ores / enmatters in certain areas but only the "good" ones? Thats due to skills (mainly?) and not due to better gear (finder)?
It is like unlocking an certain better ore at certain levels and other worser ores kinda dissapear from the list of findable ores?

Thats your theory we try to prove or disprove, right?

Thats imo an interessting theory and worth testing because to my knowledge the general opinion (and my opinion as well so far) is:

That it is the better finder you can use because of higher skills that makes it more likely to get the better ores. But still not impossible to get the bad ores (lyst at ~ 1000 meters in example as extreme case happens for high skilled miners).

So you want to challenge your own theory with this contest?

What escapes me is why you want to send 100 of low skilled players in an taxed LA to prove what you already knew: that those will find oil there?

You claim as fact that with lvl 20 and above one can not find any oil in this LA due too skills. Well, thats already disproven. But, am i totally mistaken when i say your approach should have looked kinda like this:

Finding the highest skilled surveyor who can still find oil in that area with TT finder beside his skills. Because if an let's say lvl 40, lvl 50 miner finds oil there then you know there is no need to test it with miners lvl 20 and below for weeks or months even (beside, again, you already knew anyway they will find oil!).

You could then close this particular theory (high level miners will not find oil in this LA) as disproven and head on?

Well, skills and better finders are inseparably connected.

It is useless to run a competition with something that cannot be proven 100% - like the used finder (too easy to switch it before you make the screenie) and as soon as a ped prize is involved, people will try to cheat - maybe you'Ve noticed that despite the ped prize its already hard to motivate people to take part in such a scientific investigation.

I am pretty convinced now that even joe jeff squall or a random member of the top 50 mining socs will find oil there with a TT finder.

I still claim that with a Tik200, you can't find a single oil claim there, but from the results, it seems every finder has a certain % for each ressource present in that area - the higher finders appear to have 0% for oil.

I don't see any possible ruleset that allows to investigate this any further w/o possibly having "flawed" (cheating) entries, but i will, based on the now very different situation, issue a new mining challenge soon - and it will address "ore borders" ;)
I just need to find 2 suited areas with a shared border, or completely exclude the "bad ores/enmatters" from the data - a total beginner with TT tool will very likely find lyst and oil almost everywhere.

Official "Competition closed" post.

Giving all the prizes to the only valid entry appears to be a bit unfair, as Leonas input was above level 20, yet the most useful.

I'm open to suggestions, a 50/50 split seems fair (but would violate the rules)

Maybe Leona and Wolverine Queen state their view on a fair prize distribution.

Thank you for your reply wizzszz. I do not think you got disproven with your your basic idea. But to your post #31 i want to reply few words when i have more time, maybe tomorrow if you don't mind.

For the prizes: Why not give 50% to the vaild entry of Wolverine Queen and use the remaining for your other competition (with the extractor test), or for an upcomming one with "ore borders" (would like to see that)?

I kinda spoiled this one for some people i guess, so i will donate all my EFD (thats not much) to you for further use on this kind of competitions.

Thank you for your reply wizzszz. I do not think you got disproven with your your basic idea. But to your post #31 i want to reply few words when i have more time, maybe tomorrow if you don't mind.

Sure, take your time - there are still 2 points to discuss, "sharp vs. blurry" ressource borders and "oil far more south from the ressource border (which is kind of an indicator "how" blurry, hence a part of the first point)

Although you kinda disproved the latter with your own screenie - one of the claims is 1,111 meters south of the border in question. ;)

And i appreciate every constructive criticism, even if my reaction may seem a bit pissed at times. (maybe check my old threads on "ore/enmatter unlocks" and how it got derailed - really constructive criticism is too rare to be always properly recognized as such ;) )

For the prizes: Why not give 50% to the vaild entry of Wolverine Queen and use the remaining for your other competition (with the extractor test), or for an upcomming one with "ore borders" (would like to see that)?

I kinda spoiled this one for some people i guess, so i will donate all my EFD (thats not much) to you for further use on this kind of competitions.

I take it you abandon a possible share of the EFD prize pool then?
I'll wait for further input from Wolverine Queen, but i think i'll split it 50/50 then, taking your EFD share for the next mining competition (along with your donation of 1,510 EFD) - although i'll insist on you taking the 50% of the 50 PED, as your contribution was the most valueable.

I think the prize should be split 50/50 :wtg:

I found oil there and i was using a Tik 300

I found oil there and i was using a Tik 300

There is oil, but not within the LA borders - and we are talking about claim coords here (dropping within the LA borders, but the claim marker pops up outside - that's a completely different story)

In addition, it might be possible that a not yet maxed finder has an average search depth that is low enough to find some oil.

But feel free to provide a full set of data to disprove this (screenie if the claim deed, mining pro standings pane and visible finder)

I think the prize should be split 50/50 :wtg:

I'll distribute the prizes tomorrow, it's a bit late over here.

Prizes

• 5000 EFD from me
  • 500 Senior EFD from me
  • 500 EFD from Petley
  • 250 EFD from GoNi
  • 500 EFD from Kerham
  • 500 EFD from Sheryo
  • 1000 EFD from CycoKick
  • 50 PED from me
  • possible EFD donations from others

So,we have 50 PED and a total of 8250 EFD to share - makes 25 PED and 4125 EFD for both of you.

PM me for time and place to receive the PED, EFD will be shared now.

I still haven't received the 500 EFD from Petley, maybe contact him directly.

I found this thread just now and was planing to join in just as you guys closed up. I did appreciate the discussion though and will check back later to see where we are going from here.

just sent it to you. :)

Leona, your 50% share of the prize waits to be claimed - at least the 25 PED.

And meanwhile, i tried it myself and found a wonderful explanation for the oil claims - which are everywhere btw., not only close to the norther LA border :)

What have i missed here? :)

Seems i must revive this one year old thread. wizzszz, who started this thread made the following reply in an other (unrelated) thread:

Leona, is it possible that you still didn't get over our "little dispute" over ressource borders?

Funny that you show such arrogance here, yet didn't have the guts to confirm that you were wrong back then... instead you vent your frustration and anger in a totally unrelated thread... that's hypocritical, at best.

At first i didn't even know what he was talking about, i simply forgot about this thread. But as i was sure we never had any private communication i checked his thread history and there it hit me: ahh, the oil in that one LA thingy he was referring too. :)

And as i think the topic of this thread is still of interests and thus worthy to reread for any miner i would ask for your guys help: What exactly did i do here to cause such an reply a year later?

Please note, i do not mind the arrogance accusation, i know i am, or at least appear like it. Thats more a language issue i have.

What i do mind though is that i like to think i am very open to acknowledge my own mistakes and that i do appreciate any corrective input.

Also i am usually very careful what i claim and rather like to proof myself wrong then stubborn sticking with something.

So again, what i want to know from you guys who actually did read this threat is: What did i do wrong here to cause such anger a year later?

Back