This is for those on whom Fortuna smiled.

Green Rowan

Alpha
Remember the days when you were running around in underwear at swampo-campo? When gathering a few bottles of sweat took forever because a Daikiba young killed you in two hits? Remember how you felt when some stranger gave you something out of the blue, or played the dropping game in front of the container?

Well, there are people like that now at swampo-campo. New players that have absolutely nothing, they just joined. So here’s the thing:

• If Fortuna smiled on you, spread it around a bit. Give some stuff away without expecting anything in return. Craft a few guns on quantity and give them to some noobs. It’s good Karma. Some will say thank you, some won’t, but that isn’t important.

• If you recruit someone to your society, take care of him. I see people at sweat camp that have absolutely nothing, but are members of a society.

• If you have an expensive coat on, or your avatar is wearing jeans, don’t pick up stuff other people put on the ground for noobs to pick up!

Green

Well alternatively they could deposit and buy what they need :dunno:

Congratulations on your HOF and may Karma continue to reward you Green. :)

I tried giving some stuff to a newbie once but he only got angry because I didn't give more :scratch2:

• If Fortuna smiled on you, spread it around a bit. Give some stuff away without expecting anything in return. Craft a few guns on quantity and give them to some noobs. It’s good Karma. Some will say thank you, some won’t, but that isn’t important.

Already doing that wasting lots of Me and decay almost every day healing at Swampo ;)

And giving away free stuff is useless.

• If you recruit someone to your society, take care of him. I see people at sweat camp that have absolutely nothing, but are members of a society.

Lots off Socs out there who dont care about there members this is a different problem i think :D

• If you have an expensive coat on, or your avatar is wearing jeans, don’t pick up stuff other people put on the ground for noobs to pick up!

Green

HAHA .. so its just ok to put them off and pick up it ? :D

Anyway bullshit.. if you want to give something to someone do it and dont bother others with it :D ( Before you reply.. im helping noobs as i can.. Paying more for the sweat.. buying ME from them.. giving some little stuff etc... Im just not bothering others with it :f )

Craft a few guns on quantity and give them to some noobs. It’s good Karma.

While I agree with your stance in general, I reckon anyone who doesn't tt Jester D-1 and Mann MPH is sure to burn in hell even if he/she gives them out for free. Look, there's at least 90% probability these guns will be later resold and advertised as "best starter gun just 5 ped @ tp!!1!!11!". Simply put, anyone who keeps Jesters and Manns ingame creates ground for later scam.

Reselling is the problem with most of stuff handed out for free or below the market. I've sold quite a lot of Pixie parts at tt+0.01 - only to see them resold at tt+1.50 to people who don't yet understand price structure. Well, at least it does less harm than Jesters.

That's why I refrain from giving out anything but advice.

While I agree with your stance in general, I reckon anyone who doesn't tt Jester D-1 and Mann MPH is sure to burn in hell even if he/she gives them out for free. Look, there's at least 90% probability these guns will be later resold and advertised as "best starter gun just 5 ped @ tp!!1!!11!". Simply put, anyone who keeps Jesters and Manns ingame creates ground for later scam.

first time I read this I thought you were wrong, then I read it again and realized that I (at least partially) agree :laugh:

To be honest I'm a little conflicted on this issue.

In my time in EU I have helped many many people either with time and advice or from giving out stuff for free or paying above the odds intentionally.

HOWEVER........

Lately I have been thinking about my early time in EU. I didn't have anyone run tp's with me, I did it myself because I relished the challenge. No one gave me free stuff, I sweated and then sold the sweat and did it on my own. Eventually I started to deposit and deposit and deposit and deposit.......

ALSO.....

A real motivator for me was that one player (who will remain nameless until I get my chance to pk his ass!) was a real asshole to me in pvp 2 (the rig), I was trying to get back to Nymphtown, didnt even own a gun and so was running up from the revive below the Rig, hoping to get within range of the revive to the north of the tp. 3 times he ran out and pk'd me even though I never ran into the rig itself (ie stayed away from the mounds) and I was saying in white chat I am a noob who is just trying to make it to the revive. So why am I saying this, because that really fired me up, I decided I could skill hard, get some decent gear and one day take some revenge. Now I'm not really a psycho, I just thought it would make a nice challenge to see if I could do it.

SO THE LESSON.....

The best thing for my motivation as a noobie was for an asshole to make my life hell, lets all get out there and pk some noobs, multiple times if you can - to get them fired up to help themselves.

PS> not sure if that is a great strategy, but maybe worth discussing anyway :p

The best thing for my motivation as a noobie was for an asshole to make my life hell, lets all get out there and pk some noobs, multiple times if you can - to get them fired up to help themselves.

yeah, problem is that some people have a different mentality/attitude to this stuff and they will quit the game instead ;)

BTW I had a conversation with a newbie once (after he demanded that I give him some freebies in a very rude manner), something like the following:
Him: "I have played for a week and no one will give free stuff here, everyone is greedy! I quit!"
Me: "Have you tried sweating or anything to make some PED on your own?"
Him: "WHAT? I dont want to do that I want to kill stuff! Give gun??"
Me: "Yeah... bye then"
Him: "I will report you for being unhelpful!"
Me: "Sure, go ahead"

I don't think he did report me, but still... Not motivating me to help ppl :rolleyes:

yeah, problem is that some people have a different mentality/attitude to this stuff and they will quit the game instead ;)

BTW I had a conversation with a newbie once (after he demanded that I give him some freebies in a very rude manner), something like the following:
Him: "I have played for a week and no one will give free stuff here, everyone is greedy! I quit!"
Me: "Have you tried sweating or anything to make some PED on your own?"
Him: "WHAT? I dont want to do that I want to kill stuff! Give gun??"
Me: "Yeah... bye then"
Him: "I will report you for being unhelpful!"
Me: "Sure, go ahead"

I don't think he did report me, but still... Not motivating me to help ppl :rolleyes:

Wow, that has to be the most greedy and stupid nooby I've seen for sometime.
"I'll report you for being unhelpful."
It isn't our job to be helpful.
Learn to crawl before you walk.
A week is nothing, nor is a month. 2 years, you might deserve something. :laugh:

If it would make retards stop always trading for ME or Sweat and when i say "No I dont need it" THey just nag more and spam more .. god.. make them go away D= Whatever it takes make it stoooppppp

but most newbies are often so rude. you cant say hi without them ranting or moaning or something, if i ever come across a newbie sweating that actually can talk nicly and be polite id help lol :p

I guess those kind of newbies are uber rare though, maybe its best to let the rude newxcommers get bored and leave? meh

but most newbies are often so rude. you cant say hi without them ranting or moaning or something, if i ever come across a newbie sweating that actually can talk nicly and be polite id help lol :p

I guess those kind of newbies are uber rare though, maybe its best to let the rude newxcommers get bored and leave? meh

My experience is most newbies aren't rude, sure some are but as you say, they get bored and leave within a few hours. The ones that stick around and ask for help / advice may well be your society mates in the future. :)

Remember the days when you were running around in underwear at swampo-campo? When gathering a few bottles of sweat took forever because a Daikiba young killed you in two hits? Remember how you felt when some stranger gave you something out of the blue, or played the dropping game in front of the container?

Well, there are people like that now at swampo-campo. New players that have absolutely nothing, they just joined. So here’s the thing:

Green

Nice one Green, been doing this already for a long time. ;)

For those who think it's not worth it to help a newbie.

Never come here crying that new players leave so quick.
Never come here crying that new players don't deposit.

We need those new players to stick around and hopefully some will deposit.
Lending them a little hand in the right direction can’t hurt.
Leave then in the cold, and they leave, it’s that simple.

Go have a look on what a new player goes through the first week, if they last that long. They experience ‘first impression’, and anyone who knows about business, knows how important this is.

As it stands now Entropia Universe has a major problem with 'first impression'.
My bet is 8 out of 10 new players slip past Simon, Emma and any others.
They wander into Port Atlantis trying to figure out everything.

What do they encounter ? More new players wandering around.
A few ‘skilled’ players trading and helping others.
Most end up in swamp camp, where they try to scrape a few peds together
and get their first taste of Entropia.
Most do not deposit in the first week, simply because they want to see if it’s worth it.
Most decide it isn’t and leave.

If I would have to rate Entropia Universe first impression, it rates 4 out of 10 at the moment.
Lets hope Marco and his gang understand this too and work on changes.

For now all we can do is help those new players.
And hope some stick around longer.

If not ?
Well good luck.

Just my two pec. ;)

I cant help but wonder if EU just doesnt have mass market appeal. As a result, no matter what you do, a majority who try it out will leave. The nice thing about EU is that people can download and try it for free. From the moment I logged into EU I knew it was for me, so I just plugged away and dealt with whatever came my way.

I have had a few RL friends that I managed to get into EU, I have kitted them out with all sorts of gear, given them peds to get going (basically the most amazing start any noob could want) and personally shown them all aspects of EU....neverless none of them have continued with it. They log in to return the gear though.

The best thing MA can do to make people stay is not focus on the entrance area or guides, but worry about the gameplay and the economy. A bustling street trading scene at PA tp would do wonders for getting people excited. The best thing people can do to help new players is to share the experience and give them a taste of the enthusiasm that has infected themselves for EU.

I certainly don’t give away freebies without first watching for a while how they behave and what they say. You can spot the assholes from a mile.

The reason I posted this is that today’s noob is tomorrow’s depositor, and that if you had a HOF, a few peds one way or another won’t make too much difference to you, but it could mean putting a smile on somebody else’s face (and I believe that we are not doing that enough)

Sure they can TT the stuff you give them (and you should tell them that if you give them a Jester) , but that will move their PED balance away from 0.00 for the first time.

After watching them for a while, I only give small stuff, once to one person, and only to those that are not in a soc.

A random act of kindness from a stranger could be the one thing that makes them stick around for long enough to get hooked.

Last edited:
We'll in the past I've given bits of pixie and goblin away to a people usually found in outposts in the middle of nowhere with just an opalo and I didn't even try to recruit them as a disciple either.

Some have ended up with a hell of lot more skill than I have.

My favorite rude noob experience was the first time i hoffed manufacturing clothing. It was around 300 PEDs, i think. Someone, seeing the global, said "give me" and, thinking of the time months earlier when some kind avatar had handed me a pair of broken shoes after a good crafting run, i initiated trade with him and put the (full tt) shoes in the trade window, confirmed, and concluded the deal.

"Where's the rest?" the noob demanded.

LOL

:(

I have to agree with Ozi: EU only appeals to certain people. Furthermore, greasing the ground for sweating noobs is, i think, probably reaching a population that doesn't include many of those.

To loosely quote a character from a favorite book series: "You play once for fun. After that, you're playing for revenge." ;)

I've allways believed in karma, even though it never has proven to be there, so I ocasionally run TP runs and try to be nice too noobs. If I loot anything, like a fap or pixie during that I often pass it on to the noob.:D I will never forgethow others where kind to me when I arrived, call me soft hearted, but I find it fun to help others out.
EDITED:

But I have one basic rule;

Gifts you get, you don't ask for them!

Fortuna mihi volbitur

Free items...?
Knowledge and fair trade are more likely to help us sweaters.
Societies aren't liable to give these.

BTW, I wish to publicly thank Ozi for his kindness and wise counsel. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozi
Why don`t MA encourage new players with some freebies, huh?
Would it hurt so much if every newcomer got, say, 1 PED Opalo (L) and 900 ammo?
Or at least put a task, quest if you wish, for them to do something to get that stuff.
How many new people join Entropia weekly anyways..?

I`m not saying its wrong to help newbies and I have done that so many times in the past. But if MA doesn`t take care of newcomers, why should I do their job?
:rolleyes:

No i don`t think it`s a good strategy..... eu is hard enough without that. However we all get such experiences anyway I think. For example I was mining on amathera in not lootable area and someone shot me while he stood in a rock.
I don`t remember the ava name, but if I did I would get my SER250 out if I see him. The rockets tend to ignore the rock texture if they hit close to it. :ahh:

reminds me of something i did last week lol, was out having fun with one of many CB5's I have in the flat just south from atlas north. Only mining really but always nice to splat a few things on the way

Well after getting carried away splatting things my CB5 ran outta ammo and was continuing mining when a freelancer new player was battling away with a snavel young for a while next to me. After chatting for a little while i mined my claim I relized that this person had done it all on their own and couldn't resist giving her my 3/4 full CB5.

To tell the truth I can't remember the ava name but I hope she hangs around and continues playing, hell she might even continue to play and depo then maybe get into mining and I get to HOF or Global more often. That's the way I saw it anyway lol

Rob

:laugh:
If you ppl actually help others so you can HOF more often..
:duh:
:loco:

Well one major problem for newcomers including myself, even friends ivé tried get into the game. The first impression was just "hm I dont understand shit, you talked to people who say i should sweat or deposit to buy a gun and shoot mobs at sweatcamp"

You do this a few days. Now if you havent quit already and got bored by all this sweating or shooting some daiks the next "fallout" comes.

After few weeks you realize how much money is involved in this game, and that this isnt a game where time or skills doesnt matter much (like a normal MMORPG or onlinegame), only money does. And the fact that you can buy yourself to the top.

*It was here I quit playing when I started last spring, some mates also. But I returned in Aug spending a month or something, studying Entropodia before I made a larger deposit to begin the journey*

Thats why I dont think giving a newb an Opalo and ammo will make any difference. People need information how this game works when they start.

actually mate it comes down more to if she was to start mining she would then add to the loot pool and maybe, just maybe I might get a slice of it in the form of a mining claim, but wait theres more, if that mining claim was over a 12 then it would be a Global or is it was bigger there might be a chance of a HOF.

Surely you can understand this and either way it goes if the ava was to depo because she likes the game then we ALL stand to benefit in one way or another.

I started before sweat camp. For me it was spawn at Ft Troy and sweat my butt off and that first long run to start gathering tp`s. One of my first in game friends gave me a set of goblin and we`d go hunting snable and stuff with shortblades. It was a big help getting me started and helping me gain confidence in MA enough to deposit. I remember those days fondly as Calypso was still a big mystery. Occasionally I`ll go to Swamp Camp and drop pixie or goblin footguards or a starter (L) gun as I loot them. Maybe to someone I see missing whatever part I have. Give a few heals or focus which is always a help and can`t be exploited. Fortune has at least grinned at me on occasion but I`ve also deposited to get where I am. And as for society members I always try to help them out without spoiling them. You have to keep their perspective based in the reality of the game and that comes with explaination too. Everybody has a different way they play but there are plenty of great people willing to help out in various ways. It`s a noble thing to play that way. You just have to be careful you don`t go too far. Too much help can also be a hinderance.

Back