Planet Calypso VU 10.0 has entered Test phase

Status
Could you please enlighten us what test phase means? Is it the alpha of VU 10.0 or the RC you are testing? :scratch2:

Well seeing how Entropia Universe is composed of several different "systems",
like for example the "trade terminal system" I am pretty sure the developers are finishing system by system and the testers are checking out the finished systems.

Its not like a software system that is only finished as a whole.

But for the testing to make sense all basic systems have to be finished,
we just don't know what might still be unfinished.
Also its absolutely uncertain what kind of bugs might be encountered,
so we have to wait for the news to have any kind of substantial info.

hm....heared too much of this...
believe it, when it´s there.
this testing may take some month....really exciting :wtg::wtg:

"Dear Community, I'm sorry to announce that we failed and decided for the wrong graphic engine. We're instantly start re-working the whole stuff on Cry Engine 3 or The new Unreal Engine and therefore will delay the release of VU 10.0 until 2011. Please bear with us for another few months."

Oh yeah, just some idea that would make testing easier also in future VUs:
Create some test bots to have something like unittesting but as interaction method.
It might be a bit of an effort to make bots first, but just think of that they can be easily extended to test new systems and you can very quickly test any aspect of the game whenever you make an update.

Human testers tend to not test everything again after one bug was fixed,
but a fixed bug in one place can easily create a bug in a system that worked before.

Anyhow, GL!

So how is this test phase doing on it's first days ? Marco, David, JB ? :D

If everything will be new in VU10, how about allowing everybody (if they wish) to totally or partially change their avatar name too?

Well seeing how Entropia Universe is composed of several different "systems",
like for example the "trade terminal system" I am pretty sure the developers are finishing system by system and the testers are checking out the finished systems.

Its not like a software system that is only finished as a whole.

But for the testing to make sense all basic systems have to be finished,
we just don't know what might still be unfinished.
Also its absolutely uncertain what kind of bugs might be encountered,
so we have to wait for the news to have any kind of substantial info.

That's actually my question...is everything done aka feature complete aka final testing or is it just middle testing aka prototype testing.

The pics and movies published by MA look far from feature complete (no mobs, no anmiations, no interaction, no weapsn, no MF...) so I would conclude that MA is currently in the prototype testing phase...and VU 10 will be a long time away.

MA surely doesn't use Unit-testing bots otherwise returning bugs shouldn't exist...

That's actually my question...is everything done aka feature complete aka final testing or is it just middle testing aka prototype testing.

The pics and movies published by MA look far from feature complete (no mobs, no anmiations, no interaction, no weapsn, no MF...) so I would conclude that MA is currently in the prototype testing phase...and VU 10 will be a long time away.

MA surely doesn't use Unit-testing bots otherwise returning bugs shouldn't exist...

Frankly I am unable to belief that MindArk is capable of ever reaching the necessary quality to enable a final testing, they never had Entropia in such a state and they surely won't have restructured themselves as much with the VU conversion.

OFC I would love to be proven wrong, but my expectation is that they won't reach any better than prototype testing for the next years to come.

But we are not there and all of this is guesswork as long as no "Test-Blog" is being published.

"Dear Community, I'm sorry to announce that we failed and decided for the wrong graphic engine. We're instantly start re-working the whole stuff on Cry Engine 3 or The new Unreal Engine and therefore will delay the release of VU 10.0 until 2011. Please bear with us for another few months."

Or

"Dear Community, I'm sorry to announce that we failed and decided for the wrong graphic engine. We are currently organizing a contest for software developers and graphic artists within the Entropia community.
We will soon post the start date and contest rules on our website and Entropia Forum. We can already say that the winners will recieve each an unl armour set and an unl weapon that carries the winners name."

:laugh:

Just kidding, I know they get it right, they just need time ;)

Last edited:
The avatar NameChange is really a GOOD IDEA..

When i first created my avatar a lost an L. Id really like to fix that.
Or, As im playing with my real world Wife, maby a family name would
be nice. Seriously..:)

I for one am happy to see any info to come from FPC, for many years their was no info about VU's or patches. I know that FPC will do the very best they can to make Planet Calypso better then it has ever been after all their livelihood depends on it. I am excited as you all should be, VU10 will be the biggest thing to happen to EU. What I wont do is bitch about how long it has taken, because I knew from the start that it would take a long time to complete. I and many others have said in the past "take as long as you need MA just do it right" well now they are so stop your bitching. Thank you Marco for the update I am looking forward to many more in the future. And tell the crew working on VU10 thank you for me their work is much appreciated.

I for one am happy to see any info to come from FPC, for many years their was no info about VU's or patches. I know that FPC will do the very best they can to make Planet Calypso better then it has ever been after all their livelihood depends on it. I am excited as you all should be, VU10 will be the biggest thing to happen to EU. What I wont do is bitch about how long it has taken, because I knew from the start that it would take a long time to complete. I and many others have said in the past "take as long as you need MA just do it right" well now they are so stop your bitching. Thank you Marco for the update I am looking forward to many more in the future. And tell the crew working on VU10 thank you for me their work is much appreciated.

Experience has bred the "bitching", how's your cashcard working BTW? Not got one? Why is that when it was due eons ago? See why people have limited trust even if they would live to believe the limited info that comes from MA / FPC.

The basic problem is getting better, it's nothing to do with VUs or software or the economy ...it's communication, simple honest facts in a manner that says "WE value our customers" ....hardly difficult really is it?

VU or update comes along ...the loader says "EU will be down from 12.00 to 14.00 on a certain date"...it stays down way past that and people get pissed. IF it said "EU will be down for roughly 2 hours from 12.00 on a certain date" , how could anyone complain then?

We all know things go wrong, and we're well aware that EU is a huge and complex beastie, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't I think. We know almost nothing about CE and it's VU, we know very little about the new planets...except the BS Space Pirate hype (which looks very unlikely indeed)....do the people running these planets not think we're interested, or that a series of teasers would get us dying to get there? Movies start publicity way before they are even finished...they want our money, bums on seats...and building interest is the way to do that.

Bottom line...talk to us and we won't need to worry and will have nothng much to moan about.

t

In related news a pig flying through hell was struck by a snowball when he swerved to avoid a cat and a dog that were kissing eachother.

Well it is fact now that pigs fly in a manner of speaking.

It's in the news worldwide about "swine flu" :D

how wonderful :D lol YEY

Wow, I was under the impression that testing period was between VU release and first mini update. My world just got turned upside down.

Have fun testing.

:yay::yay:Got my new computer just in time:yay::yay:

I think I'm going to have to go with "meh" here. Wake me up if/when it shows up.

Wow, I was under the impression that testing period was between VU release and first mini update. My world just got turned upside down.

Have fun testing.

Yes of course that makes sense. Because surely there would be Zero complaints if the CE implementation was done without testing, and riddled with bugs....:rolleyes:

Oh Your God, can you Imagine the sheer volume of Crap that would spew forth from the EU community if the CE VU didn't work right?

There Will be a few bugs, of Course. But I'd rather wait, than have to deal with a MMO Limburger... (That's the cheese with all the holes in it ;))

Said it before, many times. Take your time, bring it out Right.

You know That makes sense..

I bet when it does come out, downloading the full client will take hours and hours in which I will go into cardiac arrest from shear anticipation :D

I bet my avatar that they will do these tests for nothing... VU will come, implementation will take 1-2 days, game not playable for 1-2 weeks etc .... This testings should have taken place months ago ! I mean it took MA to implement a graphic engine more that it took other companies to make a brand new one... Shame on you MA

This testings should have taken place months ago ! I mean it took MA to implement a graphic engine more that it took other companies to make a brand new one... Shame on you MA

They cant test something that isn't ready to be tested.
I am no programmer but I imagine it takes far longer to convert an already existing game from one graphics engine to another than to make a brand new game. Thank you MA for working so hard to bring us this shiny new EU. Good for you MA, keep pushing on!

I bet my avatar that they will do these tests for nothing... VU will come, implementation will take 1-2 days, game not playable for 1-2 weeks etc .... This testings should have taken place months ago ! I mean it took MA to implement a graphic engine more that it took other companies to make a brand new one... Shame on you MA

Hi, I think MA does a good job considering the team size and the huge size of Eudoria and Amathera.
I think I know how much work it is to build those two continents.
In the past I build an small island with the Far Cry engine. It took me about 6 months to finish it. The island I build was the size of Port Atlantis and Swamp Camp together, not big at all.
I think the original Far Cry single player area's were not even half the size of Eudoria. :scratch2:

The problem is when you want to make it look good, you can’t use the random placement of roads, rivers, plant, trees and such. You go into the engine's 'sandbox' and plant every road, river, tree, bush, scrub and so on by hand.
Not to mention the underwater world. :laugh:
Then you test this all, discover you made mistakes and have to fix those.

Consider this and look at the size of Entropia, it’s huge compared to other ‘games.’ Not to mention it has all to work as an platform for multiplayer, that makes it even harder, you have to consider load times and lag.
The team also has to get used to working with the engine, changes they need might have to be done by Crytek and this could cause delays too.

If I’m not mistaken, it took Crytek three years to develop the Cry Engine and four years for the Cry Engine 2. How much time is MA working on this now, two years ?
This may seem long, but I think it’s not considering the size of Entropia.

Just my 2 pec. ;)

Last edited:
They cant test something that isn't ready to be tested.
I am no programmer but I imagine it takes far longer to convert an already existing game from one graphics engine to another than to make a brand new game. Thank you MA for working so hard to bring us this shiny new EU. Good for you MA, keep pushing on!

To right and from a programmer (of sorts):wtg:

Oh Your God, can you Imagine the sheer volume of Crap that would spew forth from the EU community if the CE VU didn't work right?

There Will be a few bugs, of Course. But I'd rather wait, than have to deal with a MMO Limburger... (That's the cheese with all the holes in it ;))

Said it before, many times. Take your time, bring it out Right.

You know That makes sense..

Yes imagine!!! :eek:

Quit being rational. We WANTs iT NOW!1!!1

Yes we all want it now.

BUT

Jobs not worth doing if u cant do it right.

So MA make it as painless as possible

and as quickly:)

I hate that sarcasm is so hard to convey in text sometimes.

Reactions: Aly
MA is not remaking continents, all they have to do is update the textures, and models used throughout the continents. This should take a good graphics team 6 months to do.
The main problem I think MA ran into was they purchased an engine for a fps, and EU isn't an fps. This means a lot of the things which came with the engine had to be taken out or edited. This is fine and dandy but the PR department messed up and started making a bunch of announcements way to soon. If it was my call I would have waited till Christmas to announce the new engine, or at least I wouldn't of said the engine would be ready to go before Christmas of last year. In other words Crytech 2 is a great example of a company rushing into something too fast.

And as done so many times before in som many other games:
The community starts rumoring and chatting about what ifs.

Like some other have said allready, TAKE YOUR TIME, DO IT RIGHT.

But as everyone else, im bounsing with hopes..

I'm happy to hear that VU 10 has entered the testing phase. That takes us even closer to its implementation. :yay:

As excited as I am to see the VU that will start the second golden age of Calypso, I am not a hurry, so take your time with the testing to make sure the VU comes off with as few problems as possible.

Cheers :beerchug:

Im no programmer but i bet MA got a conversion tool from nvidia.

Browse - open - convert - wait - success!

And all this talk about developing and testing.. blah... just a conspiracy to fool us :)

Status
Back