Arokh's Critters ;p

Arokh

Stalker
Society
Gloryhound Irregulars
Arokh Arokh Cindar
Submitted these five entries. One or two of them were done well before this competition, as generic game concept art - I just ended up adapting them a little for use in EU. The others I already had rough sketches so went ahead and quickly photoshopped them. Would have done proper 3D models/renders, but figured that would have taken FAR too much time for little gain. So long as the pics get the idea across.

Not gonna post stats and all my notes that go with each one. Just pics and description.

1) Venomous Blindspit

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

When exploring Calypsos dense forests, remember to listen for the rattle of this creature, and learn to watch out for its bright colours. The Venomous Blindspit appears to resemble an insectoid version of Earths velociraptor. Weak on its own, the Blindspit normally attacks in groups to overwhelm larger prey, often spreading its ‘wings’ out to make itself appear larger. Leaping out of the undergrowth in which it resides, it spews out a stream of highly corrosive poison before finishing the target off with its bony scythes.

(This one is a fairly weak mob, similar to old style Atrox / Ambu (before HP / regen increase. Figured MA needed something to fill the gap.)

2) Vesicaraptor

As night falls on Calypso, a new predator comes out to hunt. With no eyes to see, the Vesicaraptor uses the large opening on its forehead to detect the thermal signature of the surroundings. Heat from preys body stands out against the terrain, allowing the raptor to quickly close in and pounce on its target. The large blades on its forearms make short work of even the thickest hide, whilst its crystalline-based exoskeleton deflects severe blows from struggling prey.

(About the same size as a Phasm)

3) Leviathan

The seismic waves caused by the constant development and mining of Eudoria and Amethera have finally earned the interests of the deep sea creatures. This giant worm has arisen from the deepest parts of Calypsos oceans, investigating the disturbances and possible food sources. The massive jaws capable of shredding armour and its immensely strong exoskeleton make it a formidable predator. It seems to possess capabilities similar to Earths electric eel, sending out high voltage into the surroundings to stun prey or any attacker.

4) Valenodon

With food sources at an all time low in the open ocean, Calypsos sea predators have come to investigate the abundance of Rippersnappers found close to shore. The Valenodon primarily feeds on other fish, however Calypsian scientists have warned swimming colonists may be susceptible to attacks from this reptile. Whether it’s hunting for prey or just simply provoked, the result is the same – it attacks with its powerful jaws lined with needle like teeth that are capable of punching through most known materials.

(This was an alternate version to the Leviathan)

5) Cybenomorph

After their last defeat, the robots began looking for ways to integrate the flexibility of organic beings into their designs. They began experimenting with crossing the DNA of Calypsos most lethal predators with advanced cybernetic technology. The result was the Cybenomorph Prototype – nine feet of armour plated pure muscle. Its eight eyes allow for superior visual acuity, and any unarmoured flesh is capable of rapid self-repair – even after the most severe wounds have been inflicted. With a plasma cannon for range, bony claws and a razor sharp metal tail scythe for melee, the Cybenomorph is an excellent all-purpose heavy unit.

(Actually some old concept art of mine ;) )

Nice work, maybe we will see these critters roaming EU after VU10 :)

leviathan.jpg

Reminds me of Gyrados from Pokemon, lol:
gyarados.gif

WOW love the looks!!! Very nice job!! I want to go swimming with some of those :) :laugh:

I knew I would like your creatures, as you like dragons just like me :D

I´d like the Vesicaraptor most, would be awesome to see it in game :yay:

Nice design although there "outdated" ;) GL with the competition.

I love how the Vesicaraptor is a crossing between a large cat of prey and a snake in regards to the "thermal eye".
Its a really wicked concept :)

i loves them :D specially that cat like thing!

I love the Leviathan!

I think that the Vesicaraptor is to similar to Phasm as I see it now. If you did not have something Phasm-like in mind I think you should look for a way of making that more visible. Not that I dont like what i see;)

GL to you in the competition!

Reminds me of Gyrados from Pokemon, lol:

:laugh: Now that you mention it, I guess so XD

Just coincidence though. Originally this (I believe) was sort of a cross between the Dune worms and the creatures from Deep Rising...with some armour plating stuck on. On the scrap sketch, it had no fins whatsoever, and I'd labelled it to be desert coloured. But since EU needs more sea creatures, I slapped on some fish fins and colored it blue :p

I think that the Vesicaraptor is to similar to Phasm as I see it now. If you did not have something Phasm-like in mind I think you should look for a way of making that more visible.

Yeah, fair point. :/

I tried to adapt some of these creatures fit on the bone models of creatures already in game. Makes MAs work a bit easier if they've already got the bones and suitable animations to go with them. This way it's just a matter of making a quick model to go around the Phasm bones, slap a new texture on.... and done.

ty for the comments though y'all :)

Yeah, fair point. :/
I tried to adapt some of these creatures fit on the bone models of creatures already in game. Makes MAs work a bit easier if they've already got the bones and suitable animations to go with them. This way it's just a matter of making a quick model to go around the Phasm bones, slap a new texture on.... and done.

This is true. But my point was more that you culd make this creature more intresting for MA to implement by giving them a reason. If they think that your creature is just some adapted phasm they might feel that it would be more intresting to go with something new. If you, however, make them see that your model is both easy to implement (due to the similarities to the phasm) and something new and on many levels something diferent from the phasm, you would very well have yourself a winner;)

Do you see what im getting at?

Oh my god, with every entry I see my own change of winning shrinks.

The Venemous Blindspit looks cute, but I assume it isn't lol.

:cool::laugh::cool:

Back